Chapala.com Webboard

SAT Hospital. Wow!!!!!

happyjillin

So Thursday AM i had stroke # 4 over the last 15 years. Got the CR ambulance to take me to SAT. My Cardio phoned the emerg doc with instructions. My Cardio and his assistant attended to me 3 times[haven't got his bill yet] before I was released on Friday 1PM and instructed not to drive for 2 weeks. Here is what it cost[hospital only] for everything including room and food,terrific nursing and 2 emerg docs,EKG, blood & urine lab tests, glucose IV and oxygen, CAT scan of my skull, ultrasound of my carotid artery and various and sundry other things for a grand total of $1800 canbucksĀ  Wowser-eh!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

54 minutes ago, happyjillin said:

So Thursday AM i had stroke # 4 over the last 15 years. Got the CR ambulance to take me to SAT. My Cardio phoned the emerg doc with instructions. My Cardio and his assistant attended to me 3 times[haven't got his bill yet] before I was released on Friday 1PM and instructed not to drive for 2 weeks. Here is what it cost[hospital only] for everything including room and food,terrific nursing and 2 emerg docs,EKG, blood & urine lab tests, glucose IV and oxygen, CAT scan of my skull, ultrasound of my carotid artery and various and sundry other things for a grand total of $1800 canbucksĀ  Wowser-eh!

Wow, indeed. Can't imagine what that would've cost in the US. This begs the question that if you have a pretty decent nest egg when moving to Lakeside is buying health insurance really neccessary? Hard question to answer as so many variables exist.

1 minute ago, blankletmusic said:

Wow, indeed. Can't imagine what that would've cost in the US. This begs the question that if you have a pretty decent nest egg when moving to Lakeside is buying health insurance really neccessary? Hard question to answer as so many variables exist.

I've said it many times before buying health insurance is like throwing your money out the window . Out of pocket is the way we have gone for 14 years using our medical nest egg which costs less than insurance that people pay annual fees for some times in the thousands. So not really a hard question to answer.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, AlongTheWay said:

Pedro,

Still playing Volleyball?

Haven't been able to do any sports since 2013 and had to stop riding the beloved beezer 3 years ago. Last thing I did was play some hockey at Chapala Carnaval on realĀ  ice with some hockey amigos from Guadalajara and another Canucklehead.

pedro carnaval 2013.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, happyjillin said:

WereĀ Thrombolytics supplied as part of the treatment immediatelyĀ after yourĀ stroke? I'm simply concernedĀ that these meds are availableĀ in this type of emergency.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, blankletmusic said:

Yes, hard to answer. Ā But this was 'just' a day and maybe a mild stroke. Ā I know of instances where cancer is involved that the cost, with Insurance, was still seriously high and would have taken quite a hunk out of even a decent nest egg... probably depleted it if not for insurance.Ā 

But parenthetically it does go to show that these days there is quality health care available at Lakeside at a cost that could only be imagined NOB.Ā 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Alpha1 said:

WereĀ Thrombolytics supplied as part of the treatment immediatelyĀ after yourĀ stroke? I'm simply concernedĀ that these meds are availableĀ in this type of emergency.

I suggest that you don't try to be my doctor or anyone elses. My Cardio is qualified to treat me as is fitting by using all the proper protocols and the hospital supplied him with everything he required to treat me. In any event why should you be concerned for yourself if you too have a Cardiologist or Neurologist. My Cardio recommended that I get myself to SAT so he obviously has full confidence in them

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, RickS said:

Yes, hard to answer. Ā But this was 'just' a day and maybe a mild stroke.Ā Ā  I know of instances where cancer is involved that the cost, with Insurance, was still seriously high and would have taken quite a hunk out of even a decent nest egg... probably depleted it if not for insurance.Ā 

You are not a doctor so I suggest that you aren't qualified to describe my stroke. There is no such thing as a mild stroke. Since I have had 3 others I know the symptoms on immediate onset and act quickly. Our nest egg is just fine but feel free to throw your cash away. We humans have choices don't we--eh!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

I cancelled my health insurance about 2 years ago. The annual premium was about 25,000.00 MXP. The deductible per event was about 110,000.00 MXP. I live in an all Mexican neighborhoodĀ in Chapala and have a great doctor (who is also fluent in English, not that I need it). He did a house call once and the costs was 200 pesos. We do not live forever, so I enjoy every day like if it was my last, its amazing how stress free my life is now.Ā ā˜ŗļø

• Like 3

Good luck with that. I agree. Health insurance is a waste of money. IĀ Ā cancelled my Medical Evacuation insurance a few years back and just pay as I go.

Hang in there Pedro!

Iā€™m reminded of the story Jim Wilson told me years ago. I canā€™t remember the exact dollar amounts but the proportions are correct.

About 8 years ago, he fell on the Atlas golf course and required surgery to repair his knee. He got preapproval for the surgery from his insurance company and had the procedure done in Guadalajara. His deductible was $85,000 pesos

The insurance company started playing games. They denied the claim citing pre-existing conditions. He went back and forth with his surgeon and the insurance company for months. Finally the surgeon contacted him one day and said ā€œJim Iā€™ve not been paid for your surgery by your insurance company. Ā Could you see you way to paying me directly and continue to battle with your insurer to get reimbursed?ā€

ā€œNo problem.ā€ said Jim.ā€ How much were your fees?ā€ Ā ā€œ $65,000 pesos said the surgeon.ā€

SunFan

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Tingting said:

Glad to hear that you had such a positive experience with SAT and hope that your recovery is swift and uneventful. Unfortunately, we found SAT to be less than a positive experience. This was the first (and only) time I actually had to go elsewhere for a simple blood test...it couldn't be done at the Hospital!Ā 

When was that because I have had blood tests there that were more than simple as required by my doctors on 2 separate occasions and they were just fine.

It was about 6 weeks ago and the tests were to check my thyroid (on meds) and blood sugars, nothing difficult. There were so many problems with SAT that we gave up. WeĀ prefer to pay out-of-pocket than to deal with them anymore...well, I must be fair and give a plug for one surgeon--Dr. Ivan (so sorry I can't remember his last name). He was absolutely top notch and did some of the best stitch work I've ever seen.

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Tingting said:

It was about 6 weeks ago and the tests were to check my thyroid (on meds) and blood sugars, nothing difficult. There were so many problems with SAT that we gave up. WeĀ prefer to pay out-of-pocket than to deal with them anymore...well, I must be fair and give a plug for one surgeon--Dr. Ivan (so sorry I can't remember his last name). He was absolutely top notch and did some of the best stitch work I've ever seen.

We pay out of pocket there or with Intercam debit card. cutting your own nose off to spite your face? We go to about 3 different labs to get simple tests like what you describe. why go to a hospital for that?

• Sad 1

First of all, it wasn't cutting my nose off to spite my face. You had a great experience, terrific. We had multiple problems with them, not great and nothing that you would expect to happen. That doesn't negate your good experience nor does your good experience mean that we're one-offs. There were some really serious problems and the blood test was the final one (there's more to the blood test, but I don't want to go into it here). The blood test was requested by the doctor I saw at SAH. Whenever Dr. Rodriguez, Clinica Ajijic, has a test, it's done in house. SAT takes multiples insurances, including ours, so it was just a small co-pay. We still use our insurance, but just pay out-of-pocket and get reimbursed, just as we did in the past, before SAH.Ā 

I too am happy you had a good experience..... but a friend was not nearly so lucky last summer when, after collapsing at home, she was taken to that hospital and orders given to them by her cardiologist to see her thru until the next morning.Ā  When he arrived none of his orders had been followed. He RUSHED her to Guad hospital (lights and sirens all the way) where she spent several days, 4 in an induced coma, and her family NOB were notified to expect the worst. Fortunately she did survive.

Then, I was more than dismayed at the price they quoted me in FebruaryĀ  for MRI of lumbar spine. (Can't remember the figure now).Ā  What I DO know is IĀ  checked Chopo on Justo Sierra in Guad (used them for the last 20 plus years) and had that MRI PLUS a Doppler ultrasound of carotid arteries for equivalent CAD $400 ....less than 40%Ā  of price quoted for ONLY the MRI by SAT.

My impression has been from Day One they are only interested in those with a gold-plated U.S. medical insurance plan.Ā  Perhaps with the other new hospital on the libramiento opening very soon they've seen the light? (Not to say the new one will be any better.........) Hope so since they are so very close to our home.

• Like 3

I went thre from Friday to Sunday this week and was dismayed they do not acccept AXA. The rooms are large but the light from the ceiling is awful it is either on or off and blast your face when on.. The nurses were good.. the food awful , it is not one of the best or worseI have been in..and we are lucky there is a place for emergencies. I would not go to the other hospitals .. outside of emerencies, I will go to Guadaljara.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Tingting said:

Dr. Ivan is usually based in Guadalajara and has a successful plastic surgery practise. He lives in Ajijic though, so always welcoming some work closer to home. He used to be at Jocotepec/El Chante hospital. I asked for a card, he told me that Drs. working under the Seguro Popular, at that time, are not allowed to give out cards or direct patients to their private practise. The other surgeon at that hospital is also said to be very skillful, but Spanish only. He is related (brother?) to the (ex?)Ā  Presidente of Jocotepec.

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Ferret said:

Whether Thrombolytics are available here IS a good question. BUT, an MRI must be done immediately to find out whether the stroke is caused by a bleed OR a clot. You would only give the thrombolytic in the CLOT case.

Ā 

All my previous strokes were clot related and my Cardio does have a file on me.Ā  In this case my cardio gave me 2 injections ofĀ  an anticoagulant after viewing my CAT,Ā  Enexaparina BECAT 40mg, which was on my bill under medications so therefore available at SAT. In dealing with either type of stroke,time is of the essence.

I have said many times before this episode: "It's hard to kill pedro".

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CHILLIN said:

Dr. Ivan is usually based in Guadalajara and has a successful plastic surgery practise. He lives in Ajijic though, so always welcoming some work closer to home. He used to be at Jocotepec/El Chante hospital. I asked for a card, he told me that Drs. working under the Seguro Popular, at that time, are not allowed to give out cards or direct patients to their private practise. The other surgeon at that hospital is also said to be very skillful, but Spanish only. He is related (brother?) to the (ex?)Ā  Presidente of Jocotepec.

As is your usual modus operandi off topic you go. oh so helpful-SNORK!

• Sad 1