Chapala.com Webboard

Has anyone found a GOOD olive oil locally. I have tried most versions, Costco extra virgin, Mexico extra virgin via Amazon and am always disappointed

#HarryB

On 9/27/2020 at 10:35 AM, #HarryB said:

If you have found anything GOOD please PM me with details

Thanks

Harry

Harry, I have used this one for about 10 years.  I really, really like it, you might also.  I buy it at any Walmart in Mexico.
https://www.amazon.com/Carapelli-Verde-Virgin-Cold-Pressed-Ounces/dp/B07TLPCBM1

• Like 1

Throughout the Covid-19  shutdown, thus far we have ordered a number of items on a frequent basis on-line from Costco.  One item, in fact we're expecting it today is a Kirkland Olive oil product we have never seen in the store.  Unlike the dark green three litre jugs in the store this product comes in a 2-pak of clear three litre jugs. Well protected in bubble wrap and, of course, if you're a Costco member, no delivery charge and usually here with 48 hrs max.

This particular product is, in our opinion the best and most versatile (with great taste & smell)  and withstands cooking temperatures far better than many quality olive oils we've tried. This product is now an absolute staple in our kitchen.  In fact, our delivery just arrived.  It was ordered on Wednesday.

Kirkland Signature Pure Edible Olive Oil 2 pcs of 3L

Item #7748

$629.00

• 1 month later...

Today at Walmart I found the Mexican olive oil I have raved about. They had two varieties , arbequina and koroneiki at 100 pesos a 1/2 liter.

It is reported that some 80% of olive oil imported is not as advertised. Mexico's Olivo del Cielo is pressed only once and only at night. Truly artisanal product grown in the perfect soil and weather of southern Tamaulipas, near Tula.

39003572_x1.jpg

• Thanks 1

If you do a head-to-head test of olive oils you will taste the differences.  Unless your taste buds are shot in which case they will be a waste of money, may as well just buy canola.

Olive oils that are great for cooking are not what you want to use on a light salad or as a drizzle on many other dishes.  And visa versa.  

2 minutes ago, AndyPanda said:

Obviously there is a difference in levels within the same brand...

Not at all obvious to me. What I guess your levels you get with the brand you have been is the level of extraction solvents. What I see different with the oils I suggested are the tastes of the cultivar. I bought two different ones.

Olive Tree of Heaven

Extra-virgin olive oil, a special reserve extracted in the nocturnal harvest of the olives, preserved by the cold of the night. Giving it a fresh, fruity and slightly spicy flavor.

First cold extraction of the best quality of fine arbequina olives in the Reserva del Cielo, Tamaulipas, a biosphere that houses a large number of unique plants and animals in the world, giving it an exquisite flavor and deep aroma.

The perfect pairing of salads, fish, seafood, sauces and dressings. Its intense fruity flavor is ideal to be combined with all foods, enhancing the flavor of your hot and cold dishes; your creations will have no limits.

Olive tree from Heaven. Pleasure of origin, quality of Mexican lands.pescado9.jpg

On 9/28/2020 at 8:55 PM, More Liana said:

Harry, I have used this one for about 10 years.  I really, really like it, you might also.  I buy it at any Walmart in Mexico.
https://www.amazon.com/Carapelli-Verde-Virgin-Cold-Pressed-Ounces/dp/B07TLPCBM1

Excellent choice ! Already know I will look no further ! Thank you !