Chapala.com Webboard

Second hand smoke law

barrbower

Guad Reporter is saying starting this December that new second hand smoke laws will go into effect.  All smoking areas must be outside and completely sealed off from the rest of the establishment.  No food or drink will be allowed to be served in smoking areas.  Smoking areas must have separate entrance from street.   I notice several things here.  I don't know of a single place that currently can meet those standards.  I have no idea who is going to enforce the new rules...maybe the same ones who "enforce" the noise ordinances.  In small communities with close quarters folks are going to have to walk on the sidewalks/streets to smoke and then return to the establishment after perhaps offending a fellow pedestrian or even a homeowner who has an open window and smells smoke.  Might as well say smoking only in your own home with all the windows closed.

I don't smoke and never did and I really don't like the smell of cigarette smoke but this seems a little extreme.  What do you guys think?  Alan

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I quit smoking in Nov 1989. not for health reasons but I found $2 US per pack was too much. Gosh at one pack per day I was spending more than $1,000  a year from funds that could have gone into my retirement account.  Looking back, I've got to laugh. These days they are over $10 US per pack in Seattle.

So background cigarette smoke didn't bother me. I fact I rather enjoyed it. Over the years I have slowly changed and today I don't really like cigarette smoke anymore. and have no problem with stricter anti-smoking regulations. I guess I do feel sorry for those who are addicted to smoking, though.

After losing both parents, one grandmother, one mother in law and countless friends to lung cancer as a result of cigarette smoking, I'm grateful for this new legislation. I grew up in a household my first 17 years with two parents who were heavy smokers.  As a result, I have chronic bronchitis.  If smokers could participate in their addiction without affecting others, I'd be all for it.  Consenting adults are free to make their own choices.  I take exception when their addiction affects my health and disrupts my ability to enjoy life outdoors without the stench and pervasive smoke from their cancerous cigarettes.  Perhaps they could create some type of "head bubble" where the smoke remained inside their sphere and didn't affect others.  One can hope.

Salud!

Val

• Thanks 2

I don't see why restauranteurs shouldn't be able to decide for themselves whether they want to have a smoke-free environment or cater to smokers. Then there's no need for special set-ups, smoking areas, etc. If a smoker wants to eat at a non-smoking establishment, they simply can't light up anywhere on the premises. If a non-smoker wants to go to a smoking-allowed restaurant that would be their choice and they would have no valid reason to complain.

These aren't public places, they are private establishments. If the restaurants who would choose to cater to smokers saw their business plummet, I'm sure they'd change their minds. I would suspect there would end up being a few smoking allowed places, that would do well because all the smokers would go there, and most of the restaurants would be smoke-free.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, mudgirl said:

I would suspect there would end up being a few smoking allowed places, that would do well because all the smokers would go there, and most of the restaurants would be smoke-free.

I would certainly hate to be the person that had to work in a smoke filled environment. I'm all for the new law.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, mudgirl said:

I don't see why restauranteurs shouldn't be able to decide for themselves whether they want to have a smoke-free environment or cater to smokers. Then there's no need for special set-ups, smoking areas, etc. If a smoker wants to eat at a non-smoking establishment, they simply can't light up anywhere on the premises. If a non-smoker wants to go to a smoking-allowed restaurant that would be their choice and they would have no valid reason to complain.

These aren't public places, they are private establishments. If the restaurants who would choose to cater to smokers saw their business plummet, I'm sure they'd change their minds. I would suspect there would end up being a few smoking allowed places, that would do well because all the smokers would go there, and most of the restaurants would be smoke-free.

Problem is the non smoking workers but I suppose smoking joints could only hire smokers????

12 hours ago, mudgirl said:

How about banning heavy perfume wearers? Just as hard to enjoy a meal, and likely also a health issue when there's the overpowering smell of someone having doused themselves with what would appear to be a entire bottle of cologne.

Males and females alike.  I can tell when our neighbor has a shower before he goes to work - like walking thru the perfume section of a dept store.

18 hours ago, barrbower said:

Guad Reporter is saying starting this December that new second hand smoke laws will go into effect.  All smoking areas must be outside and completely sealed off from the rest of the establishment.  No food or drink will be allowed to be served in smoking areas.  Smoking areas must have separate entrance from street.   I notice several things here.  I don't know of a single place that currently can meet those standards.  I have no idea who is going to enforce the new rules...maybe the same ones who "enforce" the noise ordinances.  In small communities with close quarters folks are going to have to walk on the sidewalks/streets to smoke and then return to the establishment after perhaps offending a fellow pedestrian or even a homeowner who has an open window and smells smoke.  Might as well say smoking only in your own home with all the windows closed.

I don't smoke and never did and I really don't like the smell of cigarette smoke but this seems a little extreme.  What do you guys think?  Alan

Over the top and unenforceable.  If the idea was to force non smoking on establishments, this would do the trick.

Since the current smoking rules were put in place I can't think of a single place we've gone where smoking was a problem   There are so many alternatives, if one might have a problem with a particular place it would seem pretty easy to just go somewhere else.

Looks like just more government heavy handedness to me.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I suspect but have no proof that the restaurants Lakeside 'changed' to non-smoking when they did years ago because the expat community here was 'more demanding' than in other locales. In my travels in Mexico I don't see it..... non-smoking requirements... applied near as much elsewhere outside of large cities. 

The requirements do seem a bit draconian.... that coming from a person who just will not eat anywhere that smoking is allowed inside. 

• Like 1

I can completely understand hard and fast rules in public buildings or spaces where nobody has a choice like government offices, grocery stores, hospitals, airplanes, etc.   Private businesses can determine rules for their own establishments and customers and employees can choose to be there or not.  There are topless bars which you don't have to enter if you choose not to spend money there.  No shoes, no shirt, no service.  Mask required to enter.  No running allowed in store.  Lots of examples.  So why can't private business decide what they wish to do in their own business?  Besides, MC is correct...do not expect enforcement of these rules.  I'm with RickS as well.  I'm not spending money in a place that allows smoke that bothers me.  I can vote with my money and my feet by walking out.  I don't see much benefit in potentially putting a business in peril by forcing them to comply with rules when the business and the customers might prefer it like it is now.  I am afraid there is more conflict ahead.  Alan

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, barrbower said:

I can completely understand hard and fast rules in public buildings or spaces where nobody has a choice like government offices, grocery stores, hospitals, airplanes, etc.   Private businesses can determine rules for their own establishments and customers and employees can choose to be there or not.  There are topless bars which you don't have to enter if you choose not to spend money there.  No shoes, no shirt, no service.  Mask required to enter.  No running allowed in store.  Lots of examples.  So why can't private business decide what they wish to do in their own business?  Besides, MC is correct...do not expect enforcement of these rules.  I'm with RickS as well.  I'm not spending money in a place that allows smoke that bothers me.  I can vote with my money and my feet by walking out.  I don't see much benefit in potentially putting a business in peril by forcing them to comply with rules when the business and the customers might prefer it like it is now.  I am afraid there is more conflict ahead.  Alan

Amen!!! Nicely stated...Viva freedom of choice and free enterprise!!!

I think the Gvt would just as soon totally ban smoking because of the public health issues.  This seems to me to be all they think they can get away with.  

What do you think about the proposed total ban on corporal punishment of children?  Don't they occasionally need a spanking?  Or the threat of one?

I could live with establishments that allow smoking IF they have to have large signs that say "Smoking allowed" on the building and on all their advertising so I could totally avoid them. I can't tell you how many times I had to leave a restaurant with an uneaten meal before Colorado passed a smoking ban.

Like Val, I grew up with a dad who smoked and have chronic asthma as a result. And a mom who died from COPD as a result of second-hand smoke. He spent the last years of his life apologizing to me and trying to quit. And also died of lung disease.

• Like 1

To some, a total government ban on tobacco products would be a solution, however I can see the narcotraficantes licking their chops about this possibility...can you say PROHIBITION??? Me, as a non-smoker, am not bothered that much with others' stupidity...live and let live (or die a horrible death). Maybe a strong public service media campaign featuring all the gruesome details, especially to the young folks (social media?), since not starting is the best option.

5 hours ago, Colo-Rick said:

What do you think about the proposed total ban on corporal punishment of children?  Don't they occasionally need a spanking?  Or the threat of one?

Of course not. Spanking is what parents who have no parenting skills do. Same goes for empty threats. Children learn how to be civilized from positive reinforcement of good behavior and natural consequences. A spanking isn't a natural consequence. If your child doesn't do his chores and goes off to play with his friends instead, a natural consequence would be the parent saying, next time the child wants the parent to drive them somewhere "Remember the other day went you went off without washing the dishes and I had to do the dishes so I'd have a clean kitchen to make dinner in? Well, I was planning on answering some emails during that time, so no, I can't drive you there because I'm going to answer those emails now".

Corporal punishment may stop them from doing that thing next time, but not because they see the value or sense in it- because of fear of punishment. That's no way to raise emotionally healthy human beings who make smart choices on their own. And only bullies and cowards hit people who are smaller than they are.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1