Chapala.com Webboard

Hand sanitizer warning

Mostlylost

From today's Mexico News Daily. 

FYI, 4E Global is the manufacturer of BLUMEN, by far the most common sanitizer I see in stores here.  

https://mexiconewsdaily.com/news/coronavirus/anti-bacterial-gel-prohibited-in-us-continues-to-be-sold-in-mexico/

Bloomberg said it recently saw at least five sanitizers for sale in a Mexico City pharmacy that were banned by the FDA because they contained or were suspected to contain methanol, a toxic alcohol used to make some fuels, solvents and antifreeze. It also said that Amazon is selling six hand gels made by one black-listed company.

Thirty-three of 137 hand sanitizers banned by the FDA were produced by a México state-based company called 4E Global. 

Despite the dangers, the Federal Commission for Protection Against Health Risks (Cofepris) has not moved to ban tainted sanitizers even though the use of hand gel has skyrocketed due to the risk of coronavirus infection. It did, however, issue a public health alert that warned people to be careful with sanitizers from unknown sources.

Xavier Tello, a health policy analyst at Strategic Consulting in Mexico City, told Bloomberg that Cofepris doesn’t have sufficient personnel or budget to test hygiene products such as sanitizers.

14 hours ago, Mostlylost said:

The brands in my original post are sold in Mexico. That is why The Mexican Federal Commission for the Protection against Sanitary Risks (Cofepris) warned against their use. Later in the thread a link to AARP listing products made by Blumen with English names. I think that any  Blumen products sold in Mexico would have different names. 

Nope. I walked into the Telcel office today and they tried to squirt my hands with their sanitizer. It said clearly on the bottle "Blumen".