Chapala.com Webboard

Hand sanitizer warning

Mostlylost

The Federal Commission for the Protection against Sanitary Risks (Cofepris) warned against the use of nine hand sanitizer brands that contain methanol, a dangerous substance that can be toxic when absorbed through the skin or ingested.

Through a statement, Cofepris announced authorities tested “different brands of hand sanitizer to identify the presence of methanol, which represents a health risk for the population. So far, Cofepris has found that several hand sanitizer brands contain methanol in their formula.”

The nine brands to avoid are:

1. Natcly

2. Tradicional Casa Solar

3. Omega Nalle Clean

4. Nanoölflon

5. Clean 10

6. Naturals Ultra

7. Gel Heal

8. Alcohol Gel Farmacias Nevy

9. Protec Hands

Surprised it doesn't include Blumen brand, which is one of the most commonly sold here.  The US FDA lists a bunch of Blumen sanitizers as unsafe.  Though it's possible the Blumen sold in US wasn't sold here in MX?  Quien sabe.    The full list is here, Blumen listing shown below.

https://www.aarp.org/health/conditions-treatments/info-2020/methanol-hand-sanitizer-recall.html

• Blumen Advanced Hand Sanitizer Aloe, manufactured by 4E Global (NDC: 60599-013-00, 60599-013-01, 60599-014-00)

• Blumen Advanced Hand Sanitizer Aloe, with 70% alcohol, manufactured by 4E Global (NDC: 60599-047-00)

• Blumen Advanced Hand Sanitizer Clear, manufactured by 4E Global (NDC: 60599-024-00)

• Blumen Advanced Hand Sanitizer Lavender, with 70% alcohol, manufactured by 4E Global (NDC: 60599-046-00)

• Blumen Advanced Hand Sanitizer, manufactured by 4E Global (NDC: 60599-012-04, 60599-012-08)

• Blumen Advanced Hand Sanitizer, manufactured by 4E Global (NDC: 60599-012, 00 60599-012-01, 60599-012-02, 60599-012-03, 60599-012-05, 60599-012-06, 60599-012-07, 60599-012-10)

• Blumen Advanced Instant Hand Sanitizer Clear Ethyl Alcohol 70%, manufactured by 4E Global (NDC: Not listed)

• Blumen Advanced Instant Hand Sanitizer Clear, manufactured by 4E Global (NDC: 60599-015-00)

• Blumen Advanced Instant Hand Sanitizer Clear, manufactured by 4E Global (NDC: 60599-015-01, 60599-015-02)

• Blumen Advanced Instant Hand Sanitizer Lavender, manufactured by 4E Global (NDC: 60599-016-00)

• Blumen Aloe Advanced Hand Sanitizer, with 70% alcohol, manufactured by 4E Global (NDC: 60599-028-00)

• Blumen Aloe Advanced Hand Sanitizer, with 70% alcohol, manufactured by 4E Global (NDC: 60599-029-00)

• Blumen Antibacterial Fresh Citrus Hand Sanitizer, manufactured by 4E Global (NDC: 60599-501-01)

• Blumen Clear Advanced Hand Sanitizer, with 70% alcohol, manufactured by 4E Global (NDC: Not listed)

• Blumen Clear Advanced Hand Sanitizer, manufactured by 4E Global (NDC: 60599-017-00, 60599-018-00, 60599-018-01, 60599-018-02, 60599-018-04, 60599-018-06, 60599-018-07)

• Blumen Clear Advanced Hand Sanitizer, manufactured by 4E Global (NDC: 60599-018-02, 60599-018-04, 60599-018-06, 60599-018-07)

• Blumen Clear Advanced Instant Hand Sanitizer Aloe, manufactured by 4E Global (NDC: 60599-026-00)

• Blumen Clear Advanced Instant Hand Sanitizer Lavender, manufactured by 4E Global (NDC: 60599-027-00)

• Blumen Clear Advanced Instant Hand Sanitizer, manufactured by 4E Global (NDC: 60599-025-00)

• Blumen Clear LEAR Advanced Hand Sanitizer, manufactured by 4E Global (NDC: 60599-017-00, 60599-018-01)

• Blumen Clear LEAR Advanced Hand Sanitizer, manufactured by 4E Global (NDC: 60599-017-01, 60599-018-00, 60599-018-03, 60599-018-05, 60599-018-08, 60599-019-00)

• Blumen Hand Sanitizer Fresh Citrus, manufactured by 4E Global (NDC: 60599-502-01)

• Blumen Instant Hand Sanitizer Aloe Vera, manufactured by 4E Global (NDC: 60599-855-00)

• Blumen Instant Hand Sanitizer Fragrance Free, manufactured by 4E Global (NDC: 60599-854-00)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Many places are rebottling from large containers to small pump type bottles so there is no way to tell what the product is.

The sanitizer used at front door of Walmart is very sticky compared to other hand sanitizers.

If the virus doesn't get you the hand sanitizer might.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, ibarra said:

I carry a very small bottle of my own sanitizer and put it on after they squirt theirs on me.

Why? I've not read anything to indicate that methanol doesn't kill the virus, simply that it's dangerous to your health.  So far I've gotten away with telling them, when they try to squirt me with their unknown brand, that I just put some on in my car before entering the store.

16 minutes ago, mudgirl said:

Why? I've not read anything to indicate that methanol doesn't kill the virus, simply that it's dangerous to your health.  So far I've gotten away with telling them, when they try to squirt me with their unknown brand, that I just put some on in my car before entering the store.

You ask "why"... Because it makes me feel more comfortable.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Upfront said:

methanol on your hands is nothing to worry about

Skin: Causes moderate skin irritation. Harmful if absorbed through the skin. Prolonged and/or repeated contact may cause defatting of the skin and dermatitis. Methanol can be absorbed through the skin, producing systemic effects that include visual disturbances.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Upfront said:

the risk is absolutely minimal unless you are soaking i n it. the amount of methanol i n these things is absolutely minimal. seriously

methanol on your hands is nothing to worry about. drinking it sure.

Why should we believe you? What proof do you have?

52 minutes ago, Upfront said:

seriously

methanol on your hands is nothing to worry about.

I doubt it's going to harm anyone if it was something they used once in a blue moon, but since people are using hand sanitizer lavishly these days, it's appropriate that the information is out there and that people don't use it if it's on the warning list. There's also the added danger that if people are using one with methanol, because they then are confident that their hands are sterilized, they may not think twice about wiping their hand across their mouth, etc. Just because you put something on your hands, doesn't mean it only stays on your hands.

2 hours ago, ibarra said:

You ask "why"... Because it makes me feel more comfortable.

In other words, you don't trust that their sanitizer is actually sanitizing? Of course that's possible, I wasn't suggesting that people shouldn't do what makes them comfortable, but I guess I don't understand why doing something that doesn't make logical sense would make someone feel more comfortable.

Since you carry a bottle of sanitizer with you, instead of letting them squirt you with their no-name possibly harmful stuff, next time maybe try pulling out your bottle in front of them and applying it, saying you've read that some of the sanitizers are harmful and you prefer to use your own. That's been working for me.

9 hours ago, Upfront said:

do the research. why should i do it for you. i made my point based on what i already know. but gotta love the haters. why is everbody so scared of ever damn thing.

In other words you don't know what you are talking about

10 hours ago, Upfront said:

do the research. why should i do it for you. i made my point based on what i already know. but gotta love the haters. why is everbody so scared of ever damn thing.

You must have done poor research. How long have you been a real researcher?

Methanol is not an acceptable ingredient for hand sanitizers and should not be used due to its toxic effects,” the organization said in a press release. ... “If soap and water are not readily available, the CDC recommends consumers use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer that contains at least 60 percent ethanol.”Jun 30, 2020

https://www.healio.com/news/primary-care/20200630/fda-warns-consumers-about-hand-sanitizers-containing-methanol

Clinicians and public health practitioners should educate patients and the public that some alcohol-based hand sanitizers or rubs may contain a significant amount of methanol and using these products may result in serious adverse health events (e.g., blindness and death).Jul 5, 2020

But according to the FDA, some of the hand sanitizers on the market contain a toxic ingredient -- methanol -- that is dangerous when ingested or absorbed through the skin, and can be fatal in large quantities.Jul 28, 2020

https://www.cnet.com/health/fda-hand-sanitizer-warnings-toxic-ingredient-found-in-these-hand-sanitizers/

amazing Upfront thinks he knows more than trained scientists and researchers at the FDA. Should we believe anything he posts?

https://www.fda.gov/drugs/drug-safety-and-availability/fda-updates-hand-sanitizers-consumers-should-not-use

https://translate.google.ca/translate?hl=en&sl=es&u=https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metanol&prev=search&pto=aue

We learned in high school that methanol could be dangerous-where were you? 

The brands in my original post are sold in Mexico. That is why The Mexican Federal Commission for the Protection against Sanitary Risks (Cofepris) warned against their use. Later in the thread a link to AARP listing products made by Blumen with English names. I think that any  Blumen products sold in Mexico would have different names.