Chapala.com Webboard

Today’s Elders Are Faster, Smart And Stronger Than 30 Years Ago

Alpha1

My friend ( no names here)  how could it be anything else?  Don't you remember being a little kid (you're younger than I but still.....) and seeing your 50-something aunts and uncles sitting around, smoking, being overweight, not getting any exercise, and eating a lot of the wrong stuff?  plus nobody TOLD them to get up  and get off their behinds because they were "old".  AND they didn't have to stretch their minds to learn internet, cell phones, etc etc.

On 9/24/2020 at 2:56 PM, Natasha said:

they didn't have to stretch their minds to learn internet, cell phones, etc etc

well there was that whole rotary to touch tone phone thing.....!  😉    Or the hybrid of touch-pulse phones to be cool but save $$.....ha ha ha

Plus....rabbit ears vs loop antenna vs roof antenna.......VHS vs Beta......8 track vs compact cassette and going from AM to AM/FM in the car.....and then the mind boggling intros of CD's and DVD's for the younger part of that crowd.

• Like 1

On 9/24/2020 at 1:56 PM, Natasha said:

My friend ( no names here)  how could it be anything else?  Don't you remember being a little kid (you're younger than I but still.....) and seeing your 50-something aunts and uncles sitting around, smoking, being overweight, not getting any exercise, and eating a lot of the wrong stuff?  plus nobody TOLD them to get up  and get off their behinds because they were "old".  AND they didn't have to stretch their minds to learn internet, cell phones, etc etc.

My memories of my aunts and uncles is of very active, healthy people who were busy.  Most of them lived into their late eighties and nineties. Our memories depend entirely on the kind of family we had.  Great variation.

• Like 1

I remember having to stand on a chair to use the telephone. Otherwise, I couldn't reach the crank, or get close enough to the mouthpiece to talk to the operator. After the dial phones came in, life got more complicated, as you had to remember numbers for other people. Our number was 11F2, but it jumped to JO3-2873 with the new rotary dial phone.