Chapala.com Webboard

Change at CiBanco ATM

Natasha

The matter of banks (like HSBC) asking if you accept their outrageous exchange rate (which you must decline to get your own bank's better rate) has been previously discussed. But I had never experienced this at the CiBanco ATM before.

Today, first time there since June and  a line-up behind me, I saw there was a change in the screen but rushed because I didn't want to keep others waiting.  My bad!!! Found I should have declined the "do you accept" option when later, checked on oanda.com and learned I got the "kiosk" rate (a little over 5%) where before with them I got between ATM and Visa rate.  Yes.... I checked.  Lesson learned...... and hope this will help others.

1 hour ago, artsnob said:

So what did they charge you Natasha

Just over 5%..... which I now know is "kiosk" rate.  I used to get 2.5% from them..... half way between oanda's rates for debit vs credit cards.

WIll certainly be more mindful next time regardless of HOW many people are in line!!