Chapala.com Webboard

The experience of visiting Lakeside right now

Has anyone flown recently NOB to Lakeside? If so, can you describe the experience? Were masks required at all times in the airports? ( I'm sure they were on the flights).

I haven't flown since Feb. of this year, just before the pandemic started. Just wondering what the experience is like now by those with recent first-hand experience.

And once you arrive at Lakeside what major changes do you encounter? 

We live in Ajijic and visited the States for two weeks in August. We few roundtrip, non-stop Guadalajara to Chicago/ O'Hare (ORD) on Aeromexico. Masks were required at all airports, along with social distancing, meaning lines were spread out, many seats/chairs were either removed or spaced out. Only a small number of vendors were open in the airports (e.g., at ORD international terminal, the only food available was Burger King). Lines were short, as there are few flights.Some of the airport lounges were closed. Planes were boarded back-to-front, and the boarding rules were one or two rows at a time, strictly enforced. Masks were required during the entire flight except when eating/drinking. Service from the flight attendants was limited.

Lakeside, most restaurants and shops are open. Masks are required, but many locals are not wearing them (I would estimate 50%). Seating is limited , and you must sanitize your hands when you enter. Also, in Mexico you often have to step on a mat which has/had disinfectant on it. Still no large events/gatherings here either.

• Like 2

I'm pretty sure that any of the main airports in the US are going to require masks and social distancing. Food will probably be limited.... especially since seeing that ORD has only a BK. 

Taxis and Uber are all having/requiring masks. Not to be catty but if you fly into a Texas (for example) airport you will probably see there and within the area much more relaxed requirements for masks and social distancing. If into Colorado, for example, you will find/see many restrictions... like required masks everywhere, limited open restaurants and if open social distancing of tables, limited # of customers at one time into some grocery stores etc etc.

A friend just returned from New York, flying direct to Mexico City ( to avoid U.S. stops with more CoV contagion) and then here. No food service on the plane.  She went through FIVE sanitary checkpoints in Mexico City airport.... mask, temperature check, gel, and health questions.  Mexico is taking the threat from entries from other countries quite seriously.  And yes, for sure if you are coming from a more actively "contagious" state.

Walmart requires temp check, mask, and gel plus is taking head count for entry.  One person per family "unit" allowed in. (Not always observed.......)  Restaurants the same, as well as MANY businesses.  A lot of places have been forced to close permanently due to economic conditions.....   There were no festivities, parades, etc. for 16 Sept.  There will be no Fiestas de Octubre in Guadalajara.  There will not be the annual religious parade (Romeria) in Guad from the cathedral to Zapopan..... what some tapatios consider the most  horrifying of all!!

Yes, some things are semi-normal.  But many are not.  And that's before you think about the current outbreak of dengue ( I know several people who have it as I write).  So come, but not with any degree of complacency!

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Natasha said:

Mannix Restaurant being the most recent casualty of some significance. 

Why is Manix still updating their FB page then?   Are you sure about your info?

https://www.facebook.com/pg/ManixRestaurantBar/posts/

Also:    

I personally don't "do" FB, but hubbie read it (and read out loud to me) there a couple of days ago.......   something about saying they could no longer manage costs and maintain quality of food, service etc.  Maybe they had such an outpouring of support they changed their minds?   OR   maybe their page got hacked?

Would be more than happy to be wrong in this case.😊

8 minutes ago, Natasha said:

I personally don't "do" FB, but hubbie read it (and read out loud to me) there a couple of days ago.......   something about saying they could no longer manage costs and maintain quality of food, service etc.  Maybe they had such an outpouring of support they changed their minds?   OR   maybe their page got hacked?

Would be more than happy to be wrong in this case.😊

You are wrong.  Manix is open.  Hector has been honest in saying they are struggling, as are most eateries.  Why not just delete that statement from your post?  Some people don't read entire threads and as long as your inaccurate post sits there, it could harm their business.  

• Thanks 3

You have to wonder why people post wrong information.. and then justify it it by saying “Somebody told me that”.  Manix isn’t closed, he’s struggling like many other restaurants here.   Wallmart isn’t allowing only one family member in they allow anyone who wears a mask in. Please check your facts before posting.

• Like 5

23 hours ago, Natasha said:

A friend just returned from New York, flying direct to Mexico City ( to avoid U.S. stops with more CoV contagion) and then here. No food service on the plane.  She went through FIVE sanitary checkpoints in Mexico City airport.... mask, temperature check, gel, and health questions.  Mexico is taking the threat from entries from other countries quite seriously.  And yes, for sure if you are coming from a more actively "contagious" state.

Walmart requires temp check, mask, and gel plus is taking head count for entry.  One person per family "unit" allowed in. (Not always observed.......)  Restaurants the same, as well as MANY businesses.  A lot of places have been forced to close permanently due to economic conditions..... Mannix Restaurant being the most recent casualty of some significance.  There were no festivities, parades, etc. for 16 Sept.  There will be no Fiestas de Octubre in Guadalajara.  There will not be the annual religious parade (Romeria) in Guad from the cathedral to Zapopan..... what some tapatios consider the most  horrifying of all!!

Yes, some things are semi-normal.  But many are not.  And that's before you think about the current outbreak of dengue ( I know several people who have it as I write).  So come, but not with any degree of complacency!

Oh no, no danger there. I've been wearing a mask since early March,  mostly staying home, avoiding crowded places, sanitizing everything we touch every day since early March. I take this virus very seriously.

It's good to know the Lakeside area/Guad etc. do as well.

1 hour ago, virgo lady said:

Yes, good on you and Go Solar to post what you did!     

8 hours ago, Bisbee Gal said:

You are wrong.  Manix is open.  Hector has been honest in saying they are struggling, as are most eateries.  Why not just delete that statement from your post?  Some people don't read entire threads and as long as your inaccurate post sits there, it could harm their business.  

A double like for this post, another rumor that can only be harmful. WHY? WHY? WHY?

The post was negative enough without Facebook rumors.

• Like 2

On 9/25/2020 at 11:13 AM, blankletmusic said:

Oh no, no danger there. I've been wearing a mask since early March,  mostly staying home, avoiding crowded places, sanitizing everything we touch every day since early March. I take this virus very seriously.

It's good to know the Lakeside area/Guad etc. do as well.

I would suggest that there a "perception" of less Corvis-19 problems in Mexico, BUT given testing is virtually non existing how can the true numbers be identified, wait for your neighbor to drop dead or gather from what info your maid has!