Chapala.com Webboard

Brown Sugar Substitute

Karina G

depends on the desert, if you need granulated  it may be a pain to grind it and you just fo as well with regular sugar, the one that is not so refined. The taste of piloncillo s different  from the regular sugar, stronger but it may qork out just a well. If you do not have time to get brown sugar, it does not matter anyways...just use piloncillo

Any recipe I've used for the last many years calling for brown sugar, I've simply used granulated Moscabado.  Many different brands available at virtually every Mexican grocery store and Costco.  One very common brand is "Zuka".  In reality I honestly believe that Moscabado is superior in flavour, particularly in sauces (e.g. BBQ). In a cake recipe such as "carrot cake" or, of more importance, a traditional "Christmas cake" which I usually make to be eaten three years later, the Moscadado sugar is far superior to long term flavour development.  If you buy granulated Moscabado which usually comes in a resealable plastic bag and you don't intend to use it often, take a big slice of orange peel and put it in the bag.  It will help in keeping the sugar from hardening into lumps. Don't refrigerate the sugar....just keep it at room temp. in an airtight bag.

3 hours ago, Carnivore said:

Any recipe I've used for the last many years calling for brown sugar, I've simply used granulated Moscabado.  Many different brands available at virtually every Mexican grocery store and Costco.  One very common brand is "Zuka".  In reality I honestly believe that Moscabado is superior in flavour, particularly in sauces (e.g. BBQ). In a cake recipe such as "carrot cake" or, of more importance, a traditional "Christmas cake" which I usually make to be eaten three years later, the Moscadado sugar is far superior to long term flavour development.  If you buy granulated Moscabado which usually comes in a resealable plastic bag and you don't intend to use it often, take a big slice of orange peel and put it in the bag.  It will help in keeping the sugar from hardening into lumps. Don't refrigerate the sugar....just keep it at room temp. in an airtight bag.

I agree with all you said, up until your storage comments.  I freeze mine since it's not an item I use most weeks.  Squeeze all the air out of the bag, no other additives.  When I need it's there.  Some brands seem to actually freeze, most stay soft.  Neither way affects their taste.  Have had it in the freezer for a year!  Even Dominios Sugar recommends freezing it for long term storage!