Chapala.com Webboard

Absentee Voting

catbird

I dropped off my ballot at the LCS today and something happened that has me worried. On the outside of the envelope I put my US return address. When I handed it to the gentleman accepting them he said I should put my Mexican return address. So he taped a corrected return address on the front. When I got back home I reread the instructions and it's not clear on that point. The instructions say everything has to be exactly right or the ballot won't be accepted. Does anyone have any opinion on this?

Best to ask your local election official and/or look at the Voter Registration Card. 

I filled out and faxed my FL ballot yesterday and where it asked for my mailing address, I entered my TX forwarding address as that is the address that appears on my Voter Card as my "Mailing Address."  I have done this in past FL elections and the ballots were accepted per their online status page. 

Every local election office has their own rules and procedures within their state's laws.  Overseas Voters are a very small percentage of  registered voters.  The local office's software and forms do not always accommodate us.  For example, my County's software requires a "Residence Address" field.  For me, they use the street address of the Pinellas County Courthouse!

2 hours ago, Bisbee Gal said:

Best to ask your local election official and/or look at the Voter Registration Card. 

I filled out and faxed my FL ballot yesterday and where it asked for my mailing address, I entered my TX forwarding address as that is the address that appears on my Voter Card as my "Mailing Address."  I have done this in past FL elections and the ballots were accepted per their online status page. 

Every local election office has their own rules and procedures within their state's laws.  Overseas Voters are a very small percentage of  registered voters.  The local office's software and forms do not always accommodate us.  For example, my County's software requires a "Residence Address" field.  For me, they use the street address of the Pinellas County Courthouse!

Too late to change now, it's in the election box. Hope it's ok.  🙏

15 hours ago, catbird said:

I dropped off my ballot at the LCS today and something happened that has me worried. On the outside of the envelope I put my US return address. When I handed it to the gentleman accepting them he said I should put my Mexican return address. So he taped a corrected return address on the front. When I got back home I reread the instructions and it's not clear on that point. The instructions say everything has to be exactly right or the ballot won't be accepted. Does anyone have any opinion on this?

I am sorry for my ignorance as I have just moved here but what is the LCS. I used to vote absentee when I lived in Oregon and it was a super simple process. I would download my ballot and envelope. Fill it out and seal it and take it to the American Cousulate in Nuevo Vallarta and it would be sent to Oregon for me. Now my permanent residence is in Texas and it is a much more difficult and convoluted process. I will be calling my county's election office for guidance but I need to know what the LCS is and how they transfer the ballots to the United States. Thanks for any help. Please note, In this time of political discord in the United States  I am not making any political statements here I am just stating what my history of voting was and what challenges I have today.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, catbird said:

Too late to change now, it's in the election box. Hope it's ok.  🙏

I'm sure it is.  The people at LCS have the rules for every state, so no worries!  

You can check the status of most mailed ballots.  Either at your local election official's site, or at a state-wide site.  

Here is a very simple way to vote from your smartphone.  I did it and my request to vote by "absentee" ballot was sent to my state and the process started with confirmation and they will get in touch by email. You really need a smartphone because you will need to capture your signature with the camera and it inserts your signature in the appropriate place. Very intuitive. Please spread the word to others who are having trouble. .........https://www.votefromabroad.org/

1 hour ago, michael2595 said:

Here is a very simple way to vote from your smartphone.  I did it and my request to vote by "absentee" ballot was sent to my state and the process started with confirmation and they will get in touch by email. You really need a smartphone because you will need to capture your signature with the camera and it inserts your signature in the appropriate place. Very intuitive. Please spread the word to others who are having trouble. .........https://www.votefromabroad.org/

You cannot vote from your smartphone in all states.  You can register and you can receive your blank ballot via Email in all states because of federal law mandate,  However, federal law does not regulate how states can require you to return your completed ballot.  Some states require snail mail only, some allow FAX, some allow Email.  

On 9/22/2020 at 12:02 PM, Bisbee Gal said:

You cannot vote from your smartphone in all states.  You can register and you can receive your blank ballot via Email in all states because of federal law mandate,  However, federal law does not regulate how states can require you to return your completed ballot.  Some states require snail mail only, some allow FAX, some allow Email.  

I know. Here is the list of states and requirements.  https://www.votefromabroad.org/states

• Sad 1