Chapala.com Webboard

Accessing Free Credit Report

ManxMan

6 minutes ago, ManxMan said:

Says I can't use it unless I'm in the US....

Well, I believe that may apply to the IP address of the application, I log-in weekly without a VPN. It also may mean listing your home address as in Mexico? It costs nothing to try.

• Thanks 1

You need to be using a US IP address to sign up for Credit Karma  after you have the account you can access from anywhere.

To access your one time a year US free credit report you will need a US IP address as well.

You can access your Mexican credit bureau report free once a year also.  You will need to have your last credit card statement 

https://www.burodecredito.com.mx/

• Thanks 1

Do you have a US credit card?  All of ours at our online accounts have a clickable Check Your Credit Score.  When you do that it takes you to a screen that shows the score AND lets you click on several other options.  I went to mine at Chase just now and it showed all my financial accounts/banks, etc.   I could look whether there were negative remarks by any creditor. Said I could report discrepancies, etc. Also register ID theft.  

• Thanks 1

There are 3 major credit bureaus in the USA.  Experian and Trans Union traditionally have had the strongest databases.  Most scores you will see are generated by the individual credit bureaus information and a series of secret algorithms  sold by Fair Isaac and company.  Known as FICO scores. 

FICO has more than 50 different versions of your score that it sends to lenders. The score may change, depending on what company asks and what was important to that company in calculating your score Some are designed for mortgage lenders, some for auto lenders, some for credit card companies, etc

Credit Karma, and other free websites have contracts with Trans Union and  Equifax.  The biggest and traditionally the most accurate,  Experian is not included.

Credit card companies display the bureau and type of score they use for credit decisions. Your ABC bank's  ccard free score might  how say 749 and your DEF bank might show a score of 695 at the same moment. Why  because they have chosen a different "credit model"  and or bureau for their decisions. 

Also your score can change from one day to the next because your lenders report their information one day a month.  I remember a customer walking in proudly displaying a printout of a 730 score that was a week old. When I ran their credit the score was well under 700 because their credit balances had increased and there was a new late payment just reported. 

• Thanks 1