Chapala.com Webboard

Alternator Problem

jhark

Agree with this one. There is also a good muffler and radiator shop there, the mechanics are right next door.

My wife's friend was having this strange problem with her Jeep alternator and battery system. They went way above normal service levels to competently diagnose and repair the problem. The head mechanic there is Pepe, speaks english well. The manager, Luis, is fully bilingual. It is actually quite a large shop, with many workers. The building actually goes all the way back to the street on the other side.

• Like 1

Felipe @ Auto Check in Riberas.... next door down an alley from TeleCable/Wizz. English spoken, very reasonable rates. On a couple of occasions he could have told me that my car 'needed something' but he always chooses to be honest....  "I don't think you need to replace X right now.... maybe next year but not now if it were me". 

There is also an auto electrical shop on Pepe Guizar a bit south of the Chapala Goodyear shop, and Ron Young on the west side of the carraterra just north of Soriana is also very good with auto electrical.        Easy for any of them to test the charging voltage, to know if it is more likely the alternator, or if you just need a new battery.

The problem with today's vehicles is the extensive use of onboard computers. They control nearly every aspect of your vehicles operation. The problem is that if a single component in the board fails, probably worth pennies, there is nobody with the skills to track it down. The mechanic just recommends a new computer costing many thousands of dollars. Not saying that Pepe and Luis have these skills, but they have the uncanny ability to track down gently used parts in Jalisco, usually with some sort of warrantee by the salvage yard or parts picker.

Take it to Auto Zone.  They have a machine which tells them if the alternator is putting out the correct voltage and if your battery is any good.. And there is no charge for doing it. if you need a battery they have a lot in stock, If they don’t have the alternator you need in stock they can usually get it the next day.

It is very easy to change a battery, all you need to be careful of is that you get the polarity right, but even if you don’t most vehicles especially newer ones are protected against reverse polarity.

If the alternator is easily accessible it’s very easy to change, it would be hard to screw that up.
But why bother Auto Zone will change the battery for free, and the cost of labor is so cheap why bother changing an alternator yourself.

• Like 3

An ECM can lose the recent memory it has, when the battery power is disconnected.   BUT it will quickly "re-learn" the settings once power is re-connected and the vehicle is operated for awhile.     Changing a battery or alternator correctly, will not damage or burn it out.

The job of changing out a static alternator with the battery cable(s) off is not something that is going to bring other "electrical" issues with it. And millions of batteries get removed/changed out daily  with no real need for concern assuming the person doing it has ANY experience at all. More likely to hurt your back than anything else... especially for us ole'uns.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CHILLIN said:

I don't have to worry about this. But I looked it up for you. You have to keep the ECM electric before you disconnect the battery. Otherwise it will lose its programming. I suspect this problem is quite widespread in Mexico.

Garbage... Disconnecting the battery for a short time will do nothing other than you have to reset the clock..  if you have the battery disconnected for several hours you may have to drive the vehicle a few miles for the ECU to relearn the parameters.. 

• Like 1

I can't imagine in getting into a serious debate about batteries and  alternators. The experts seem quite united on this. The Mercedes guy says he has multiple ECUs. My truck has none and can run on used cooking oil, home heating oil, and probably rendered whale blubber.

Dr. Isuzu said keep It simple. No need to add stupid.

• Sad 1

Thanks to all of you for your input.  I tried Pablo's Garage first.  I walked over and we talked to someone through the locked gate.  He said they were busy so they don't  answer the phone.    We left our number and no one called back.

While getting an overnight charge at LTH I noticed the shop that Happy Jillin recomended right next door.  We talked to Moises and arranged to come back the next morning with the car with the charged battery.

What an excellent recommendation by Happy Jillin!!!  Sure enough it was a shredding alternator belt.  Two replaced belts later and back on the road.  What a really nice experience and will definitely use AutoFix and Moises in the future.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, jhark said:

He said they were busy so they don't  answer the phone.    We left our number and no one called back.

Sounds like they've got a plan to reduce the business volume issue......😷

• Haha 2

20 hours ago, RVGRINGO said:

That fits with the reason stores often stop carrying really popular products: "Because we can't keep them on the shelves".

2003...Super Lake...Rye bread    LOL

20 hours ago, RVGRINGO said: