Chapala.com Webboard

How to sign Mexican Closing docs when not in Mexico?

kimanjome

I'm sure I'm not the first to experience this--I need to sign the Closing docs and Deed on our Mexican home, but I am not there. I'm stuck in the US with health issues, my own and other family members.

Is it true I MUST physically return to Mexico to sign the papers? I was told I can have a Mexican Power of Attorney (giving PoA to my spouse, who is still in Mexico) done by a notario, but there aren't any notarios in the US. 

My husband does not want to FedEx the papers to me, in case they get lost or I make a mistake in signing.

I was thinking I could do an "e-sign", but not sure if that holds for Mexico. I do know when I sold my US home I e-signed everything from Mexico.

Thanks for any info or suggestions.

• kimanjome changed the title to How to sign Mexican Closing docs when not in Mexico?
9 hours ago, kimanjome said:

I'm sure I'm not the first to experience this--I need to sign the Closing docs and Deed on our Mexican home, but I am not there. I'm stuck in the US with health issues, my own and other family members.

Is it true I MUST physically return to Mexico to sign the papers? I was told I can have a Mexican Power of Attorney (giving PoA to my spouse, who is still in Mexico) done by a notario, but there aren't any notarios in the US. 

My husband does not want to FedEx the papers to me, in case they get lost or I make a mistake in signing.

I was thinking I could do an "e-sign", but not sure if that holds for Mexico. I do know when I sold my US home I e-signed everything from Mexico.

Thanks for any info or suggestions.

There are many notaries in  the US. I have had Canadian documents notarized by Mexican notaries. I am sure there is are ways to have a Mexican document notarized by a US notary.

Ask your realtor to ask the Notario handling the sale.  

In 2008 as buyers, our closing date got delayed and we had to return to the US.  We executed a POA here in MEX before we left.  

The Orlando Mexican Consulate may be an option, but check with the Notario HERE before making that trip. 

It's solely the Notario's decision.