Chapala.com Webboard

Extension of Land Border Restrictions until Oct. 21

Bisbee Gal

https://www.usnews.com/news/world/articles/2020-09-17/mexico-requests-month-long-extension-on-us-mexico-border-restrictions

MEXICO CITY (REUTERS) - Mexico's foreign ministry said on Thursday it has requested another month-long extension on land-crossing restrictions at U.S.-Mexico border.

The restrictions, first implemented last March, would be in place until October 21, the foreign ministry said in a statement on Twitter.

Here's the tweet (it was posted 11AM this morning).

Tras revisar el desarrollo de la propagación de #COVID19, planteó a la extensión, por un mes más, de las restricciones al tránsito terrestre no esencial en su frontera común.

Translation of tweet: After reviewing the development of the spread of # COVID19, Mexico proposed to the United States the extension, for another month, of the restrictions on non-essential land traffic on their common border.

• Like 1

• Bisbee Gal changed the title to Mexico Requests Extension of Land Border Restrictions until Oct. 21

Probably will happen: 

The U.S.-Canadian border closure to non-essential traffic, which is currently set to expire next week, could be extended through Thanksgiving due to the coronavirus pandemic, Reuters Canada reported Tuesday, Sept. 15.

Citing “well-placed,” but unnamed sources in Washington D.C. and Ottawa, Reuters reported that the border could remain closed through at least the end of November.

The story also said that Canadian officials showed little interest in relaxing some of the restrictions currently in place anytime soon in spite of suggestions to do so from their American counterparts.

• Bisbee Gal changed the title to Extension of Land Border Restrictions until Oct. 21

Sept 17 Laredo Morning Times...For the first time since the pandemic began, Laredo Mayor Pete Saenz believes both the timing is right and that the community and local officials are ready for the city’s bridges to reopen to tourists from Mexico. “Before, certain groups were pressuring (the city to reopen). ... I just couldn’t see council, and the medical authority as well — internally we just weren’t ready. But I think we’re ready now,” Saenz said. 

The rest of Laredo City Council appears to feel similarly. After enforcing a curfew for months, they voted to lift it on Monday, and also voted to allow restaurants to expand their outdoor dining capacity.

On Thursday, Saenz is attending a Texas Border Coalition meeting, where he will ask its members if they are interesting in petitioning the federal government as a unified region to end these travel restrictions at the border.

The Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas estimated in 2012 that 40-45% of Laredo’s retail activity comes from Mexican shoppers, and many of these shoppers cross the bridge with a tourist visa.

Still, the decision to open the bridges ultimately falls on the Department of Homeland Security. Saenz said he not received any hint from federal officials that ending these travel restrictions is a possibility.

You might possibly expect a vaccine of unknown effectiveness to become available in about a year; maybe more, or maybe a lot longer. 

How old do you plan to get?  I am surprised that I am as old as I am now, recalling that I once doubted that I would see the year 2000......but here we are.....

There are  3 vaccines in the final clinical trials in the western world. There are 9 others worldwide in phase 3 trials. Plus Johnson & Johnson is enrolling phase 3 participants right now. 

Moderna, Pfizer, and AstraZeneca's have all shown to be very effective. 2 of the 3 have indicated they will submit their final trial results for approval in the next few weeks. 

All 3 have manufactured millions of dosis with the expectation the phase 3 trial results will be the same as the first trial results. When the approvals are issued in each country the vaccines can be shipped the next day.  

• Thanks 1

The experts, not the politicians, say a reliable vaccine will probably not be available until sometime next year so no use sitting around waiting until then.

Me thinks that Johanson is going to be in Seattle for quite a while. My understanding is that as soon as a reliable vaccine(s) gets approved the 'initial' doses will go to medical workers and first responders. 

Having  million(s) of doses does not mean that anyone will be able to waltz into their Docs office or Safeway Pharmacy 'today or tomorrow'.... not for the average Joe.... or Pete... or Rick  IMO. 

I've certainly been wrong before but in reality NONE of know when we can roll up our proverbial sleeves....

59 minutes ago, cedros said:

The experts, not the politicians, say a reliable vaccine will probably not be available until sometime next year so no use sitting around waiting until then.

Depends on which  "expert" you choose to listen to. 

I think we have all learned in the last few months that "experts" have lots of opinions and seem to change those opinions on a daily basis.       Heck the CDC just changed indoor social distancing guidance again today. 

I am listening to the companies that are actually producing the vaccines. I would think they might know more about their own product's schedule than any one "expert" 

In any event we will know in a few weeks how soon we can expect one or more vaccines to be available. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mostlylost said:

Depends on which  "expert" you choose to listen to. 

I think we have all learned in the last few months that "experts" have lots of opinions and seem to change those opinions on a daily basis.       Heck the CDC just changed indoor social distancing guidance again today. 

I am listening to the companies that are actually producing the vaccines. I would think they might know more about their own product's schedule than any one "expert" 

In any event we will know in a few weeks how soon we can expect one or more vaccines to be available. 

You are listening to the wrong people. The companies of course are only looking at their bottom line where as scientists and health workers should not have such an agenda. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, cedros said:

You are listening to the wrong people. The companies of course are only looking at their bottom line. 

So you are suggesting that all the companies in phase three trials are lying? And they don't employ scientists?  And If I believe their reports filed with the CDC,  among others I am listening to the wrong people?     That's some conspiracy theory.....

And at least 2 companies have pledged to sell the vaccine at cost...  The others prices are as low as $10 per dose. (Johnson & Johnson) 

NBC Sept 5 reports:   U.S. health officials expect to know whether at least one of the three potential vaccines from Moderna, Pfizer and AstraZeneca in late-stage testing works by the end of the year or sooner. Pfizer CEO Albert Bourla said Thursday the company could have results from its late-stage coronavirus vaccine trial as early as October.  ( is he lying to help his bottom line?)

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is currently asking states to expedite the approval process for medical supply company McKesson so it can set up coronavirus vaccination sites across the U.S. by Nov. 1. The agency said states may need to waive some licensing and permit requirements that could bog down the process. 

The vaccine would be distributed in four phases, with health-care workers, the elderly and people with underlying health conditions getting vaccinated first. Essential workers, teachers and people in homeless shelters as well as people in prisons would be next on the list, followed by children and young adults.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

As soon as a vaccine is announced and made available, the masses will discard their masks, hug each other, open bars and restaurants, and declare that the virus will be killed. The infection rate will soar, hundreds of thousands will die, and the economy will tank even further; perhaps beyond any hope of recovery.

Then, really bad things will happen.  🤯

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, RVGRINGO said:

As soon as a vaccine is announced and made available, the masses will discard their masks, hug each other, open bars and restaurants, and declare that the virus will be killed. The infection rate will soar, hundreds of thousands will die, and the economy will tank even further; perhaps beyond any hope of recovery.

And maybe you are wrong.   I agree your scenario is possible but only possible.   It also depends on which form of the virus as there are many. AMLO said he bought a whole bunch of the russian vaccine.   How many folks would trust any vaccine when first released??  How about the Russian vaccine??  We live in interesting times.

On 9/21/2020 at 1:21 PM, RickS said:

Me thinks that Johanson is going to be in Seattle for quite a while. My understanding is that as soon as a reliable vaccine(s) gets approved the 'initial' doses will go to medical workers and first responders. 

Having  million(s) of doses does not mean that anyone will be able to waltz into their Docs office or Safeway Pharmacy 'today or tomorrow'.... not for the average Joe.... or Pete... or Rick  IMO. 

I've certainly been wrong before but in reality NONE of know when we can roll up our proverbial sleeves....

On 9/21/2020 at 1:21 PM, RickS said:

Actually, those of us that are at high risk will be able to waltz into that center with the first responders and med workers for our injection.

22 hours ago, Mostlylost said:

So you are suggesting that all the companies in phase three trials are lying? And they don't employ scientists?  And If I believe their reports filed with the CDC,  among others I am listening to the wrong people?     That's some conspiracy theory.....

And at least 2 companies have pledged to sell the vaccine at cost...  The others prices are as low as $10 per dose. (Johnson & Johnson) 

NBC Sept 5 reports:   U.S. health officials expect to know whether at least one of the three potential vaccines from Moderna, Pfizer and AstraZeneca in late-stage testing works by the end of the year or sooner. Pfizer CEO Albert Bourla said Thursday the company could have results from its late-stage coronavirus vaccine trial as early as October.  ( is he lying to help his bottom line?)

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is currently asking states to expedite the approval process for medical supply company McKesson so it can set up coronavirus vaccination sites across the U.S. by Nov. 1. The agency said states may need to waive some licensing and permit requirements that could bog down the process. 

The vaccine would be distributed in four phases, with health-care workers, the elderly and people with underlying health conditions getting vaccinated first. Essential workers, teachers and people in homeless shelters as well as people in prisons would be next on the list, followed by children and young adults.

Do you believe everything you read? The companies are misleading us.

At cost? -not a chance

They expect to know do they? Good luck with that.

McKesson is probably wrong.

The vaccine would be distributed in four phases- only time will tell if that is true.

So much of what you promote there is hypothetical. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, RVGRINGO said:

Spot on, RV. I'm coming to the conclusion that humans are possibly the stupidest animals on the planet, in spite of our supposedly superior brain. 

On 9/21/2020 at 1:45 PM, Mostlylost said:

Heck the CDC just changed indoor social distancing guidance again today. 

Gee whiz, and why do you think that might be? I wouldn't believe much of anything coming from the CDC these days.

https://www.rawstory.com/2020/09/maddow-exclusive-busts-cdc-director-for-shocking-corruption-scandal-and-has-the-documents-to-prove-it/

• Like 1