Chapala.com Webboard

Looking for someone to build a hot soaking tub

Susy Wilson

We have had a hot tub for many many years in the US and would like to have a soaking tub here in our back yard looking out on the lake. I don't really even use the jacuzzi jets so we are thinking maybe we can get a soaking tub built by a craftsperson here? Any suggestions on who to talk to about this would be greatly appreciated:-) 

As such things aren't something common in Mexico, you have to be really careful about what someone tells you they could build. I know several people who had bathtubs "built" when they built their houses and none of them are useable. You can't, for instance, build one out of stone, as my neighbor did, because the rocks take so much time to heat up and suck so much heat out of the water while doing so, that you don't get a hot bath. Same goes for building it out of cement blocks. Then there was the friend whose workers built such a big bathtub, that there was only 5 inches of water in it by the time the hot water heater ran out 🙂

One bathtub that did work somewhere I went was built from thick styrofoam, like they use in ceilings, covered in metal mesh, and then plastered and sealed with waterproof paint, or it could be tiled with pool tiles.  

As mudgirl mentions, anything to be heated and built of masonry should be insulated / isolated from the ground around it.     As for heating, whether it will be kept filled, filtered, and circulated, or used as a batch and dump each time, can help to determine how you heat it.   Either way can be done with solar thermal systems to have great hot water very cost effectively and with no ongoing fuel needs and no pollution.

It depends on how unique you want it. Fasten blocks of white EPS foam with yellow sticky urethane foam. The EPS is roughly carved out, then is hand finished with trowls, dyes and special mortar. I haven' t checked in withmy associates at Vertical Artisans. com for some time, but the last I looked they had an associate in Mexico.

• Sad 1

I had a local contractor build me a small pool/spa. I call it a spool. Has jets on one end and with the solar panels it almost gets too hot to get into.  I cover it at night to keep in the heat. Like to keep it at 94 deg. Very happy with the spool. 

Contractor's name is Gustavo 333 157 3048

DSCN0834.JPG

DSCN0833.JPG

• Like 2