Chapala.com Webboard

If you are posting information about a business

MtnMama

I have a suggestion. If you are posting information about a small business, and are trying to help the business or restaurant or... get more business, please include an address and/or location information. Also include a bit about what the business sells or what services they offer or menu items and maybe relative prices. This type of detail will help people decide if they want to bother to go to the store.

Also include enough location information so a person might be able to find the business. An address is helpful, especially in Ajijic. "In Riberas" tells almost nothing. Riberas goes from beyond Pancho's Deli to a little past Bravo Theater and includes over a hundred small businesses with small signs. "On Madero in Chapala" is just as useless. Which side of the road and near what cross street or larger easy-to-see store?

This only applies IF you are trying to help out the business. If you are simply showing off: "I haven't had grilled Guinea pig since I left Ecuador. The presentation and taste were divine" don't bother. Just answer "Google it". I have been using Google since the late '90's but I am not going to bother to open a new tab and look up information you were too lazy to provide. I simply figure the business wasn't worth your time so it's not worth my time.

• Like 4

Another thing people can do if they are trying to help out a favorite small business is to let them know that everyone doesn't use Facebook and if that is the only place they advertise and list their phone number, hours of business, etc, they are losing potential business. And that if they list certain hours, they need to be open those hours, and if they aren't for some reason, to leave a note on the door saying why and when they will be open.

I went to buy something at a specialty store and although it was normal business hours, the door was locked. I had just turned around and was starting to walk back to my car, when the saleswoman came leisurely walking up, and unlocked the door, a bag of chips and a drink in her hand. She'd obviously just walked down the block to grab a snack, and had she been a half a minute later, she would have lost a fair-sized sale. Had there been a note on the door saying "Back in 5 minutes", I just would have waited.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1