Chapala.com Webboard

Step Up / Step Down Voltage Converters

Does anyone have any experience with step up converters for use with small kitchen appliances purchased overseas.   I know Sterens sells them and there is also a variety on Mercado Libre, but i am looking for recommendations from personal experience.  I know there are a lot of specs to pay attention to.  I am hoping I won't want to have to replace all of my small countertop kitchen gadgets if I don't have to.  Thanks in advance. 

Voltage is 127 plus or minus 10%.  This is close enough to USA/Canada to not worry about it.   I would suggest you unplug your appliances when not used to avoid surges.

It also depends on local conditions. For example if you have a welder in the hood you will see voltage go down when they weld.  That kind of thing.  So enjoy your appliances just unplug them when not in use.   Yes you can buy surge protectors, voltage regulators and UPS units here but in 15 years never lost a small appliance but I do unplug when not in use. I do use voltage regulators on my fine electronics like TV and DVD players etc etc  etc.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, lcscats said:

Voltage is 127 plus or minus 10%.  This is close enough to USA/Canada to not worry about it.   I would suggest you unplug your appliances when not used to avoid surges.

It also depends on local conditions. For example if you have a welder in the hood you will see voltage go down when they weld.  That kind of thing.  So enjoy your appliances just unplug them when not in use.   Yes you can buy surge protectors, voltage regulators and UPS units here but in 15 years never lost a small appliance but I do unplug when not in use. I do use voltage regulators on my fine electronics like TV and DVD players etc etc  etc.

Icscats, sorry, but the post is about  kitchen countertop appliances from "overseas"  (not NOB)  that are made for 230V?  

1 minute ago, lcscats said:

So look at wattage of appliance than look at what the capacity of the converter you are trying to use.   Many converters would be too small for bigger appliances.

Original post is asking for personal experience - not what I already know about stats from research.   

Are these small appliances 50 Hz or 60 Hz?     Mexico is 60 like US & C.....however many "overseas" (you did not say which country or countries) are 50 Hz.     If they are 50 Hz, a voltage change alone may not likely be sufficient for proper operation.      You should post full info / specs or bring them into a qualified place, or at least good photos of the specs on them.

1 hour ago, virgo lady said:

Are these small appliances 50 Hz or 60 Hz?     Mexico is 60 like US & C.....however many "overseas" (you did not say which country or countries) are 50 Hz.     If they are 50 Hz, a voltage change alone may not likely be sufficient for proper operation.      You should post full info / specs or bring them into a qualified place, or at least good photos of the specs on them.

If you will read my original post - I am looking for people with personal experiences - not what the specs are for converters or specific items.  As stated:   I know there are a lot of specs to pay attention to    I do not need assistance with that. 

Also, I asked about the converters sold by Sterens and on Mercado Libre, if anyone has purchased those items and found them to be of good quality or not.  

1 hour ago, virgo lady said:

What difference does 50 Hz or 60Hz make to a small kitchen appliance such as a kettle, toaster coffee maker, toaster oven...?