Chapala.com Webboard

Dustbusters, maid service ajijic

Nicole Dugas

My advise would be not to go through a service and pay the extra "commission". Talk to some Mexican families in your area and expats there for recommendations. My "Tres Amigas"...mother, daughter and aunt were recommended by a Mexican friend 10 years ago and have not looked back since. The father and son are my gardeners also, so I believe in "keep it in the family". Failing that you might try asking at an Abarrote in your neighborhood...they usually have an ear to the ground for this type of thing. 

Also, I have helped this family during certain certain "crisis situations" by loaning money in terms of advances. In fact just this week I learned that the father (my gardener) needed "medication", so I gave him a one month advance. I do not ask for details and it always works out.     

3 hours ago, Bisbee Gal said:

@gringohombre You didn't answer re: vacation pay.  After 10 years, you should be paying 16 days annual vacation pay to your workers, in addition to the aguinaldo.  

You do it your way and I will do it mine. They come every 2 weeks and spend about 2.5 hrs (3 people) I hand them a 500 peso note and everyone is happy. Plus 2 weeks Christmas bonus. 16 days vacation pay for this limited part time work? I do not think so! 

• Sad 3

20 hours ago, gringohombre said:

You do it your way and I will do it mine. They come every 2 weeks and spend about 2.5 hrs (3 people) I hand them a 500 peso note and everyone is happy. Plus 2 weeks Christmas bonus. 16 days vacation pay for this limited part time work? I do not think so! 

Aguinaldo (Christmas Bonus)

The aguinaldo must be paid on or before the 20th of December.   The aguinaldo must be paid in cash; gifts, Christmas baskets, and other presents do not fulfill the requirement.

The aguinaldo must equal 15 days of salary.   To calculate the amount for a part-time employee, divide the number of days worked during the year past by 365. Multiply that figure by 15 x the daily salary to determine the amount of the aguinaldo.

Examples:

If you have an employee who works one day a week for $50 pesos:
52/365 x 15 x 50 = $106.85 pesos

If the worker is paid by the week and has worked a full year, use a multiplier of 2.14 to make the math easier.  If the worker is paid $500 pesos per week, then it is $500 x 2 .14 = $1070 pesos

If the weekly worker has not worked a full year, divide the number of weeks worked by 52.14 x 15 x the daily salary (weekly salary divided by 7) to determine the amount of the aguinaldo.

Vacación (Vacation)

The vacación must be paid in cash, either before the vacation or before the end of the year if no vacation has been taken.

The vacación pay must equal required number of vacation days of salary plus and additional 25% of the amount. To calculate the amount, divide the number of days worked during the year past by 365.  Multiply that figure by number of vacation days times 1.25 to determine the amount of the vacación pay due. 

Examples:

If you have an employee for one year who works one day a week for $50 pesos:
52/365 x 6 x 1.25 x 50 = $53.42 pesos =
vacación

If the worker is paid $500 pesos per week, convert the weekly rate to a daily rate by dividing by 7.

500/7 x 6 x 1.25  = $535 pesos = vacación

Note:  The 6-day minimum vacation is only for the first year worked.  The basis increases by 2 days each year through the 4th year.  The 5th year it increases 2 days to 14 days.  Thereafter, the time increases by 2 days each 5th year.

For example:  A maid has worked for 5 years, so she is due 14 days vacation.  She works 3 days per week for $760 per week. which is $253.33 per day.  3 x 52 = 156 days worked per year.

156/365 x 14 x 1.25 x 253.33 = $2642.71

If we ignore that she works only 3 days and consider her a weekly employee, then

760/7 x 14 x 1.25 = $1900

Year 1 -- 6 days
Year 2 -- 6 + 2 = 8 days
Year 3 -- 8 + 2 = 10 days
Year 4 -- 10 + 2 = 12 days
Year 5 -- 12 + 2 = 14 days
Year 10 -- 14 + 2 = 16 days
Year 15 -- 16 + 2 = 18 days
etc

I used Spring Clean (which sounds similar to Dust Busters) for several years and they had some advantages. Like not having to calculate the Vacation pay and Aguinaldo and dealing with unsatisfied (greedy) employees sometimes for years. There were usually 3 workers so they were in and out faster. I liked the way they cleaned the windows-one person inside and one out on the same window.

• Like 1