Chapala.com Webboard

There are many restrictions on the books regarding adding a structure to an existing property. There's height, boundaries of adjoining properties and the percent of the new footprint to the total lot size. To do it properly you need to apply and get approval for a building permit.

You should also consider consulting with neighbors that might be affected by a new structure especially if a view will be compromised. I went through a long process last year with a neighbor that started building a casita right up to our adjoining walls and boasted to a another neighbor it was going up 5 stories. The end product turned out to be marginally invasive but only after involving a lawyer and the department of transparency in Chapala to finally produce public record drawings and the permit. 

2 hours ago, John Shrall said:

There are many restrictions on the books regarding adding a structure to an existing property. There's height, boundaries of adjoining properties and the percent of the new footprint to the total lot size. To do it properly you need to apply and get approval for a building permit.

You should also consider consulting with neighbors that might be affected by a new structure especially if a view will be compromised. I went through a long process last year with a neighbor that started building a casita right up to our adjoining walls and boasted to a another neighbor it was going up 5 stories. The end product turned out to be marginally invasive but only after involving a lawyer and the department of transparency in Chapala to finally produce public record drawings and the permit. 

JS, would you care to share the name and type of contribution made by those professionals who assisted you?  I'm getting ready to build on a very small (1600 sf ft) view lot in SJC early next year, and need to know how in detail how to best balance the 'viewshed' interests of all who might be impacted, and to understand the sort of restrictions you detail above.  Also, I hope to engineer the place for an elaborate roof garden and solar array, and want to do everything to an unusually high technical standard, as well as within conventional code.  It would be great to engage an expert English speaking advisor asap. Thanks.

7 hours ago, Floradude said:

I am thinking of building a casita on my property. The question is how to start. I would need a contractor, but do I also need to involve an architect?  Does anyone have experience doing this and can recommend a professional, reliable person to contact? This would be in the Greater Ajijic area.

How many m2 you like to build!? If is lest of 40 just you need a normal casita desing, and you dont need a perito sing, but if is more than 40 you need a desing of all you property, peroto sing, and more paper of you home, tax, payments, ect. 

I don't know the building laws Lakeside, but when I built my house in Bahia de Banderas, if you kept the size under a certain sq.mtrs, as vista lake said, there are different regulations. In my case, I kept the house under 90 square meters and therefore didn't need architect plans, but I did need an engineer's drawing, which the engineer did off my own design I submitted to her.

4 hours ago, vista lake said:

How many m2 you like to build!? If is lest of 40 just you need a normal casita desing, and you dont need a perito sing, but if is more than 40 you need a desing of all you property, peroto sing, and more paper of you home, tax, payments, ect. 

vista lake- the word in English for diseño is design (which is pronounced as if it were spelled in Spanish something like "disayn"), not desing.  This is a really common mistake among Spanish speakers, which is understandable since so many words in English end in 'ing.'  I thought you might like to know since you comment so often on building matters. I can't tell you how many times I have seen "desing" on furniture stores, architect and engineer's offices, which are assuming they are translating to English, but there is no such word as "desing" in English.

16 hours ago, Mostlylost said:

You will need a licensed architect or engineer to certify the plans and apply for the building permit.

Legally there is no such thing as a "contractor". Anyone can say they are a contractor because there is no such license. 

We've gone over this before in a thread on my house renovation.There are companies and individuals here who call themselves CONTRACTOR, some good some bad like anywhere. Time to be pragmatic-eh!  You have decided on one of these to do the job you want and draft up a written contract for both to sign,you as the contractee and they as the contractor. No licenses required. This person/company or even you can apply to the appropriate authorities for building permits. Them is the facts and just the facts of the matter HERE. No need for angst--eh!

3 minutes ago, Floradude said:

Back to my original question...

can recommend a professional, reliable person to contact?  I have one good suggestion but would like to hear more.

My guy who I have used off and on for 14 years is excellent. I don't want him messed with so I request that you PM me your phone # and at least your first name so that I  can interview you and then if I'm comfortable with you,give him your # for him to call you for arrangements.

• Like 1

Pedro  In all respect you are dead wrong on this.  Anyone can do the work true  The permit will require the signature of an architect or engineer  To suggest you can construct a casita without plans signed by a currently licensed architect or engineer is awful advice that could cost the owner a lot of time and money.

You need to read the laws of construction for the state of Jalisco.

1. Solicitud oficial firmada (te la proporciona el Municipio, o te la puede conseguir tu Arquitecto)

2. Copia de las Escrituras del predio

3. Pago del impuesto Predial al corriente

4. Copia del IFE del propietario (o propietarios, en su caso)

5. Carta Poder (en caso de que no sea el propietario quien acuda a realizar el trámite)

6. Carta responsiva y copia de cédula profesional del Director de Obra

7. Cuatro fotografías del predio, actuales. No se vale echar mentiras, porque van a mandar un Inspector!

8. Copia de planos antecedentes

9. Proyecto Arquitectónico completo, impreso en formato 90 x 60cms y con los membretes oficiales. Esto es, los Planos de la Casa.

10. Cálculo estructural elaborado y firmado por un Ingeniero Civil o Arquitecto

11. Requisitos especiales según el proyecto que pueden ser, entre otros: VoBo. de Ecología, VoBo. del INAH (para edificios catalogados) VoBo. de Protección Civil y/o Bomberos, Estudio de mecánica de Suelos, Estudio de impacto ambiental, etc…

1. Official signed application (provided by the Municipality, or you can get it from your Architect)

2. Copy of the property deeds

3. Payment of property tax up to date

4. Copy of the IFE of the owner (or owners, if applicable)

5. Power of Attorney (in case it is not the owner who comes to carry out the process)

6. Responsive letter and copy of the professional certificate of the Construction Director

7. Four photographs of the property, current. It is not worth lying, because they are going to send an Inspector!

8. Copy of blueprints background

9. Complete Architectural Project, printed in 90 x 60 cm format and with official letterheads. That is, the House Plans.

10. Structural calculation prepared and signed by a Civil Engineer or Architect

11. Special requirements depending on the project, which may be, among others: VoBo. of Ecology, VoBo. INAH (for listed buildings) VoBo. Civil Protection and / or Firefighters, Soil m

ARTÍCULO 1.- El Presente Reglamento tiene por objeto regular toda obra de

construcción, reconstrucción, demolición, o remodelación de cualquier género, que se

ejecute en propiedad pública o privada, así como todo acto de ocupación de la vía

pública, dentro del Municipio de Chapala Jalisco, y se expide de

conformidad con las facultades que confiere el artículo 115, fracción II de la

Constitución Política de los Estados Unidos Mexicanos, en relación con el artículo 28

fracción IV y del 73, 77, 79, 85 fracción II, y 86 de la Constitución Política del Estado y

así como los preceptos 37 fracción VII, 40, 42, 44, 47 fracción V, 50 fracción I, y 53

fracción II de la Ley del Gobierno y la Administración Pública Municipal del Estado de

Jalisco.

ARTICLE 1.- The purpose of these Regulations is to regulate all works of

construction, reconstruction, demolition, or remodeling of any kind, which is

execute on public or private property, as well as any act of occupation of the road

public, within the Municipality of Chapala Jalisco, and is issued

in accordance with the powers conferred by article 115, section II of the

Political Constitution of the United Mexican States, in relation to article 28

section IV and 73, 77, 79, 85 section II, and 86 of the Political Constitution of the State and

as well as precepts 37 section VII, 40, 42, 44, 47 section V, 50 section I, and 53

Section II of the Law of the Government and Municipal Public Administration of the State of

Jalisco.

ARTÍCULO 6.- La licencia municipal es requisito imprescindible para la realización de obras de construcción, reconstrucción, remodelación, demolición, alineamiento y asignación de número oficial. Sólo hasta que el propietario haya obtenido y tenga en su poder la licencia y en su caso los planos aprobados, podrá iniciar las obras.

ARTICLE 6.- The municipal license is an essential requirement for carrying out

construction, reconstruction, remodeling, demolition, alignment and

ahis posession the license and, where appropriate, the approved plans, may construction begin.

ARTÍCULO 7.- Son requisitos para el otorgamiento de licencias municipales:

a) Solicitud de licencia con datos completos, firmada por el propietario o representante

legal, anexando la documentación que acredite la propiedad del terreno, además copia

de los pagos del impuesto predial y de los servicios de agua, en su caso.

b) Deberá anexar copias, del proyecto de obra, planos a escala y acotados de

cimentación, distribución, corte transversal y longitudinal, corte sanitario, planta de

viguería, detalle de cimentación, fachada, ubicación del predio, firmados por el perito o

el responsable de la obra, cuando así lo requiera la dirección.

1. Recibo de pago de los derechos expedido por la tesorería municipal.

ARTICLE 7.- The requirements for the granting of municipal licenses are:

a) License application with complete data, signed by the owner or representative

legal, attaching the documentation that proves ownership of the land, also a copy

of the property tax and water service payments, if applicable.

b) You must attach copies of the work project, scale and dimensioned plans of

foundation, distribution, cross and longitudinal section, sanitary section, plant of

beam, foundation detail, facade, location of the property, signed by the expert or

the person responsible for the work, when required by management.

c) Receipt of payment of the rights issued by the municipal treasury.

Also having an engineer or architect in charge of the project  (more than  just the required plans) can help if you have the workers union rep show up asking for mordida. As well a requirement of the contract should have a clause that requires the director to furnish monthly copies of the IMSS payments for your job. 

10 minutes ago, Mostlylost said:

Pedro  In all respect you are dead wrong on this.  Anyone can do the work true  The permit will require the signature of an architect or engineer  To suggest you can construct a casita without plans signed by a currently licensed architect or engineer is awful advice that could cost the owner a lot of time and money.

You need to read the laws of construction for the state of Jalisco.

1. Solicitud oficial firmada (te la proporciona el Municipio, o te la puede conseguir tu Arquitecto)

2. Copia de las Escrituras del predio

3. Pago del impuesto Predial al corriente

4. Copia del IFE del propietario (o propietarios, en su caso)

5. Carta Poder (en caso de que no sea el propietario quien acuda a realizar el trámite)

6. Carta responsiva y copia de cédula profesional del Director de Obra

7. Cuatro fotografías del predio, actuales. No se vale echar mentiras, porque van a mandar un Inspector!

8. Copia de planos antecedentes

9. Proyecto Arquitectónico completo, impreso en formato 90 x 60cms y con los membretes oficiales. Esto es, los Planos de la Casa.

10. Cálculo estructural elaborado y firmado por un Ingeniero Civil o Arquitecto

11. Requisitos especiales según el proyecto que pueden ser, entre otros: VoBo. de Ecología, VoBo. del INAH (para edificios catalogados) VoBo. de Protección Civil y/o Bomberos, Estudio de mecánica de Suelos, Estudio de impacto ambiental, etc…

1. Official signed application (provided by the Municipality, or you can get it from your Architect)

2. Copy of the property deeds

3. Payment of property tax up to date

4. Copy of the IFE of the owner (or owners, if applicable)

5. Power of Attorney (in case it is not the owner who comes to carry out the process)

6. Responsive letter and copy of the professional certificate of the Construction Director

7. Four photographs of the property, current. It is not worth lying, because they are going to send an Inspector!

8. Copy of blueprints background

9. Complete Architectural Project, printed in 90 x 60 cm format and with official letterheads. That is, the House Plans.

10. Structural calculation prepared and signed by a Civil Engineer or Architect

11. Special requirements depending on the project, which may be, among others: VoBo. of Ecology, VoBo. INAH (for listed buildings) VoBo. Civil Protection and / or Firefighters, Soil m

ARTÍCULO 1.- El Presente Reglamento tiene por objeto regular toda obra de

construcción, reconstrucción, demolición, o remodelación de cualquier género, que se

ejecute en propiedad pública o privada, así como todo acto de ocupación de la vía

pública, dentro del Municipio de Chapala Jalisco, y se expide de

conformidad con las facultades que confiere el artículo 115, fracción II de la

Constitución Política de los Estados Unidos Mexicanos, en relación con el artículo 28

fracción IV y del 73, 77, 79, 85 fracción II, y 86 de la Constitución Política del Estado y

así como los preceptos 37 fracción VII, 40, 42, 44, 47 fracción V, 50 fracción I, y 53

fracción II de la Ley del Gobierno y la Administración Pública Municipal del Estado de

Jalisco.

ARTICLE 1.- The purpose of these Regulations is to regulate all works of

construction, reconstruction, demolition, or remodeling of any kind, which is

execute on public or private property, as well as any act of occupation of the road

public, within the Municipality of Chapala Jalisco, and is issued

in accordance with the powers conferred by article 115, section II of the

Political Constitution of the United Mexican States, in relation to article 28

section IV and 73, 77, 79, 85 section II, and 86 of the Political Constitution of the State and

as well as precepts 37 section VII, 40, 42, 44, 47 section V, 50 section I, and 53

Section II of the Law of the Government and Municipal Public Administration of the State of

Jalisco.

ARTÍCULO 6.- La licencia municipal es requisito imprescindible para la realización de obras de construcción, reconstrucción, remodelación, demolición, alineamiento y asignación de número oficial. Sólo hasta que el propietario haya obtenido y tenga en su poder la licencia y en su caso los planos aprobados, podrá iniciar las obras.

ARTICLE 6.- The municipal license is an essential requirement for carrying out

construction, reconstruction, remodeling, demolition, alignment and

ahis posession the license and, where appropriate, the approved plans, may construction begin.

ARTÍCULO 7.- Son requisitos para el otorgamiento de licencias municipales:

a) Solicitud de licencia con datos completos, firmada por el propietario o representante

legal, anexando la documentación que acredite la propiedad del terreno, además copia

de los pagos del impuesto predial y de los servicios de agua, en su caso.

b) Deberá anexar copias, del proyecto de obra, planos a escala y acotados de

cimentación, distribución, corte transversal y longitudinal, corte sanitario, planta de

viguería, detalle de cimentación, fachada, ubicación del predio, firmados por el perito o

el responsable de la obra, cuando así lo requiera la dirección.

1. Recibo de pago de los derechos expedido por la tesorería municipal.

ARTICLE 7.- The requirements for the granting of municipal licenses are:

a) License application with complete data, signed by the owner or representative

legal, attaching the documentation that proves ownership of the land, also a copy

of the property tax and water service payments, if applicable.

b) You must attach copies of the work project, scale and dimensioned plans of

foundation, distribution, cross and longitudinal section, sanitary section, plant of

beam, foundation detail, facade, location of the property, signed by the expert or

the person responsible for the work, when required by management.

c) Receipt of payment of the rights issued by the municipal treasury.

This is part of your post. Note:signed by the expert or the PERSON responsible for the work. So no I  am not wrong even according to your posting the official rules of engagement-eh!

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, happyjillin said:

This is part of your post. Note:signed by the expert or the PERSON responsible for the work. So no I  am not wrong even according to your posting the official rules of engagement-eh!

Pedro again  Respectfully  you are taking it out of context .... The person responsible per the statute must be an architect or Engineer.  as stated in more than one place. 

The person responsible is the "Construction Director "  

Responsive letter and copy of the professional certificate (Cedula) of the Construction Director

Structural calculation prepared and signed by a Civil Engineer or Architect

If anyone is in doubt, before signing a contract they should check with an attorney familiar with construction law in Jalisco.

https://cedulaprofesional.co/jalisco/

23 minutes ago, Mostlylost said:

Pedro again  Respectfully  you are taking it out of context .... The person responsible per the statute must be an architect or Engineer.  as stated in more than one place. 

The person responsible is the "Construction Director "  

Responsive letter and copy of the professional certificate (Cedula) of the Construction Director

Structural calculation prepared and signed by a Civil Engineer or Architect

If anyone is in doubt, before signing a contract they should check with an attorney familiar with construction law in Jalisco.

https://cedulaprofesional.co/jalisco/

I quoted from your exact post so no I didn't take it out of context. I would suspect that thousands of clients got building permits without having an engineer or architect  being necessary to do it or even draft plans as long as those are what is required by the issuer of said permits. I've had a couple of Major renos done here without your unnecessary methodology that really is of no help to the OP or anyone else contemplating  major construction. Another non necessary person to pay to get involve,an Attorney???? If I took your advice I would out of aggravation and unnecessary hiring expenses never build here. I even got building permits in Alberta Canada which is far stricter without your convoluted suggestions for here.I was the chairman of the board of Alberta safety codes for 67  towns, and villages and one city.

I believe he said no permit in his posts regarding his project. Doubt if any of his albañiles had a cedula.

I have in my direct family one arqui & one civil engineer in GDL. I have supervised construction of houses in GDL & lakeside. All permits required signed plans. Anyone can supervise the project, but the arqui or engineer who signed the plans for the permit is the responsible person.