Chapala.com Webboard

South Dakota "Residents" Absentee Voter Information

Jubilacion

South Dakota Residents Absentee voting begins September 18th, but you can request an absentee ballot anytime (recommend before October 10th for processing and shipping). The earliest your absentee ballot will be sent is Sept. 18th.

South Dakota’s Uniformed and Overseas Citizens Absentee Voting Act (UOCAVA) Electronic Voter Registration System and Absentee Ballot Application requires a current SD Drivers License but this looks good and easy! visit https://elvr.sdsos.gov/

If you do not have a current SD Drives License use this link which does have provision for "Overseas Citizens" https://sdsos.gov/elections-voting/assets/AbsenteeBallotApplicationFillable.pdf

Good Luck, and as a Presidential Candidate recently told his supporters at a rally in NC, vote often!  

(Of course I'm kidding, though I don't know if he was? Do NOT vote more than once under penalty of law)  ☠️

Come on MtnMama, why would you even imply this is not accurate? May I suggest you fact check before commenting.

The information posted is for South Dakota "Residents" and "Overseas Citizens" and is copied directly from the South Dakota Secretary of State website.  Weblink is: https://elvr.sdsos.gov/ 

Welcome to South Dakota’s Uniformed and Overseas Citizens Absentee Voting Act (UOCAVA) Electronic Voter Registration System and Absentee Ballot Application System

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

From the SD Secy of State website, 

12-4-4.4. Registration and voting by overseas citizens - Conditions.
Any overseas citizen shall have the right to register and vote in any federal, state, county or local election held within South Dakota under the following conditions:

The overseas citizen or the spouse of the overseas citizen was last domiciled in South Dakota immediately prior to departure from the United States.

The overseas citizen does not maintain a domicile, is not registered to vote and is not voting in any other state.

The overseas citizen is otherwise qualified to vote according to law.

From SD Dept. of Public Safety

REV 5-2019
RESIDENCY AFFIDAVIT
FOR SOUTH DAKOTA RESIDENTS WHO TRAVEL
AND DO NOT HAVE A RESIDENCE IN ANOTHER STATE
The purpose of the following questions is to determine if you meet the qualifications
for an exception of the proof of residency requirements for obtaining a
South Dakota Driver License or non-driver ID card.
This form must be signed by a notary of the public or a South Dakota driver license examiner.
1. Is South Dakota your state of residence? _____Yes _____No
2. Is South Dakota the state you intend to return to after being absent? _____Yes _____No
3. Do you maintain a residence in another state? _____Yes _____No
This form must be accompanied by a valid one night stay receipt (no more than one year old) from
a local RV Park, Campground, or Motel for proof of the temporary address where you are residing.
In addition you must submit a document (no more than one year old) proving your personal
mailbox (PMB) service address (receipt from the PMB business or a piece of mail with your PMB
address on it).
PLEASE NOTE: South Dakota Driver Licensing records are used as a supplemental list for jury duty
selection. Obtaining a South Dakota driver license or non-driver ID card will result in you being
required to report for jury duty in South Dakota if selected.
I declare and affirm under the penalties of perjury (2 years imprisonment and $4000 fine) that this
claim (petition, application, information) has been examined by me and, to the best of my
knowledge and belief, is in all things true and correct. Any false statement or concealment of any
material facts subjects any license or ID issued to immediate cancellation.

Your comment above is exactly what's wrong with extremist political and social views in the US. Left or Right doesn't matter, you are one of them!  A "I-know-what's-best-for-you!" type of person. The information I provided in the original post is:

• For South Dakota Residents ONLY, is
  • Directly from the SD Secretary of State, and is
  • Absolutely accurate, (not as you said, "mostly accurate or of no value").

Why do you care if South Dakota Residents have a simple electronic means to register and vote? Get over yourself, this is just another option.

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

@Jubilacion  You're a newbie, but many of us recall the South Dakota license plate sham.  When we first came here in 2007, some days there were as many South Dakota tagged cars parked outside of Super Lakes as there were Jalisco plates.  Yes it was legal, at least in one SD locality, but most of us long-term residents are glad that since 2013 Mexico prohibits Permanentes from driving foreign plated vehicles.

In your thread title you put the word "Resident" in quotes, which may have raised a few eyebrows due to the aforementioned South Dakota ploy which was viewed by most residents here as a way of obfuscating the registration of the car in the expat's home state, or avoiding the purchase of a Mexican titled car.  

As far as where people post info, or ask questions about Voting from Abroad, I don't care where they post.  I am happy to help people figure this out if I can or at least point them in the right direction, to their local voting official.  

Over the years people have debated whether voting is a Right, a Privilege or a Responsibility; due to the pandemic, changes to USPS operations and the number of people opting to not cast ballots in person, voting is a downright Challenge this year!  This is especially true for expats.  

• Thanks 1

I just can't believe you are putting your personal spin on this too! You are also be one of those "I-know-what's-best!" people, right? 

Look, South Dakota "Residents" whether with physical address (like our Lakeside landlords by shear coincidence) or those with legal domicile (with a SD Travelers Drivers License) is legal in every county in SD. Those of us who went through the entire process are LEGAL South Dakota Residents living "overseas" or traveling the US as RV'ers. Even though my wife and I do not own any physical property in SD, our Drivers License, Registration, pension, Social Security, Medicare and State/Federal taxes are based in South Dakota.

Please don't demonstrate your ignorance and BIAS and say this is a scam because of what you saw 13 years ago and apparently didn't even understand then. There are many thousands of us living abroad (and in the US as RV'ers) who appreciate that South Dakota affords us this type of legal domicile WITH voting privileges.

Please.... move-on from this post and find another cause to try and disrupt.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

What Bisbee Gal and I have provided is a comprehensive voting guide for ALL U.S. expats. Even those from South Dakota. We are suggesting that everyone use that guide, which was compiled from several different sources, rather than having a separate guide for every state. While I'm sure the dozen or so people on this Webboard for whom your post applies might find it useful, the general guide is going to provide more complete information for everyone.

Overseas voting for US citizens PLEASE PIN

• Like 1