Chapala.com Webboard

Overseas voting for US citizens PLEASE PIN

MtnMama

Many States, like AZ, have the option to Upload your ballot.  Just scan the signed ballot and other required docs to your computer, then, upload per State website. Very easy!  No mailing involved, no fax, no email.  Then, you can go to the website and verify that your ballot was recorded. 

48 minutes ago, oregontochapala said:

As it is in Oregon, also, and as it should be everywhere.

Agree!!!  

Federal law requires all states to email blank ballots to Overseas Voters (when requested by the voter), but is unfortunately silent on the options for voters to return to their completed ballot.  

Let's hope that gets changed.  In fact I will contact my FL representative now. 

If you are from one of the following 26 states/jurisdictions, you can return your voted ballot by EMAIL or ONLINE UPLOAD:

AL, AZ, CO, DC, DE, HI, IA, IN, KS, MA, ME, MO, MS, MT, NC, ND, NE*, NM, NV, OR, RI, SC, UT, WA, WV, WY*

*Nebraska voters must get their Local Election Official's approval to return a voted ballot electronically.

*Wyoming is currently setting up its email return system, so please contact your Local Election Official for details.

If you are from one of the following 5 states, you can return your voted ballot by FAX:

AK, CA, FL, LA*, OK

*Louisiana voters must get their Local Election Official's approval to return a voted ballot electronically.

Please note, you can use the email-to-fax service that is offered free of charge to overseas U.S. citizens by the Federal Voting Assistance Program.

IMPORTANT: be sure to format your .pdf as "U.S. Letter" sized paper. Simply email your completed ballot with the required cover sheet to fax@fvap.gov and it will be faxed to your Local Election Officials.

If you prefer, HelloFax is a popular service you can use directly from your computer. It is free for a limited number of faxes.

20 states still require POSTAL BALLOT RETURN. If you live in one of these states then you MUST return your voted ballot by postal mail:

AR, CT, GA, ID, IL, KY, MD, MI, MN, NH, NJ*, NY, OH, PA, SD, TN, TX, VA, VT*, WI

*NJ voters: New Jersey allows voted ballot return by email. The voter must then also return the original by mail.

Given that the postal systems around the world are severely affected by the COVID-19 crisis, we URGE YOU TO VOTE AND RETURN YOUR BALLOT AS SOON AS YOU RECEIVE IT. Please plan to use a courier service or the Diplomatic Pouch.  See instructions on the Original Post.

Check your state's Secretary of State and your County's Election Official's Website for any specific instructions. Follow the instructions exactly or your ballot may be rejected.

Ballot tracking is available in almost every state.  Try your local Elections Office first, if the do not allow you to track, then try at the state level. 

We FAXed our FL ballots yesterday.  Today my County's Ballot Tracking says they were received yesterday and are being processed.  Once they are accepted they will update our status. 

For more info on tracking    https://www.businessinsider.com/how-to-track-the-status-of-your-mail-in-ballot-2020-9?r=MX&IR=T

According to an analysis by the National Vote at Home Institute, a nonpartisan group that advocates for states to make it easier for voters to cast ballots safely from home, 46 states and the District of Columbia now have online portals that allow voters to track the status of their ballots every step of the way. 

There is also a sealed ballot box outside the Guad Reporter office in Plaza Bougainvillea. This box will also be taken to the Consulate for inclusion in the Diplomatic Pouch on 29 Sept. The ballots are stamped as having come from Mexico and are taken to the Dulles Postal facility and are sent to the address on your envelope.

A word of warning: Mail sent from services such as iShop and HandyMail are trucked to Laredo and will have a TX postmark. Depending on your local election official, this could be a cause for rejection. Call YOUR local office to verify this won't be an issue.

IF you are returning your ballot by mail to one of these states: AR, CT, GA, ID, IL, KY, MD, MI, MN, NH, NJ*, NY, OH, PA, SD, TN, TX, VA, VT*, WI and they require a privacy envelope, be sure to use one. It has come to my attention that a recent court ruling said that a ballot can be rejected if it is sent 'naked' in a single envelope. They mentioned Pennsylvania but I am sure there are other states as well.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, NLU said:

BE SURE to use Mexican return address on your mail-in ballot as required by poorly written instructions taped to top of ballot box!

Depends on your state.  CALL you local Elections Official BEFORE completing and sending your ballot.  In FL there is no such requirement to use my Mexican address as my return address.  On my FL voter registration/card the line for Mailing Address shows my TX forwarder's address.  Again, CALL or EMAIL your LOCAL elections official!!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NLU said:

Listen to Bisbee Gal. Her information and advice has been spot on.

BTW, I just put on both addresses, US & MX.

Thx but I'm no expert.  

But you know who is?  Your Local Election Official.  Their phone number (and probably email) is on everyone's ballot instructions.  Check with them, sooner rather than later; expats aren't the only ones voting by mail this year, many for the first time.  These local offices are going to get slammed as the deadline nears.   

Local Election Officials are the FINAL say on whether they accept or reject your ballot.   If you have a question it has been my experience that these offices want to help you.  

9 hours ago, phil in mexico said:

I assume putting my ballot in the box at the Guadalajara reporter office i need some postal stamps where can I buy ???

If you are using the Ballot Box for the Diplomatic Pouch at the Reporter office, you can buy stamps at Sol y Luna. Their office is around the corner on the street east side of Plaza Bougainvillea.

I repeat: A word of warning: Mail sent from services such as iShop and HandyMail are trucked to Laredo and will have a TX postmark. Depending on your local election official, this could be a cause for rejection. Call YOUR local office to verify this won't be an issue.

• Like 1

REMEMBER!!! Tomorrow, 29 September, is the last day the Diplomatic Pouch will be at Lakeside. You can drop your ballot off at LCS or the Guad Reporter office in Plaza Bougainvillea. If your state requires a privacy envelope for the ballot - use one. A recent lawsuit in PA requires that all 'naked' ballots must be destroyed. I don't know about any other states. You can also send the ballot by private courier (see desafinada's post above) Check with your local election official before you use a mail drop such as Handimail or iShop since your ballot will have a TX postmark.

20 states still require POSTAL BALLOT RETURN. If you live in one of these states then you MUST return your voted ballot by postal mail:

AR, CT, GA, ID, IL, KY, MD, MI, MN, NH, NJ*, NY, OH, PA, SD, TN, TX, VA, VT*, WI

*NJ voters: New Jersey allows voted ballot return by email. The voter must then also return the original by mail.

FURTHER IMPORTANT UPDATE

The Lake Chapala Get Out The Vote (GOTV) team will be offering in-person U.S. voter assistance every week on Tuesdays, starting October 6, from 10 am to 1 pm, at LCS on the Neill James Mural Art Patio.  Voters from all states are welcome.  If you vote in a state that requires you to mail your ballot back (check at VoteFromAbroad.org/states) and you haven't brought your ballot to us by September 29 to be transported to the U.S. Consulate, we suggest that you use courier mail after first checking with your Local Election Official.  Enter LCS through the Lakeside Entrance, Del Paseo #50.  The NJ Mural Art Patio is on the way to the Gazebo.  Masks must be worn at all times on the LCS Campus, and all other required health protocols must also be followed.  Questions?  Contact:  LakeChapalaVOTE@gmail.com.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just received this update from the LCS Voter Assistance team. PLEASE VOTE!

Yesterday we announced the continuation of in-person Voter Assistance Sessions at the Lake Chapala Society in Ajijic.  Please note that these sessions will be held
ONLY ON TUESDAYS
THROUGH THE MONTH OF OCTOBER from 10-1 pm.

Entering the LCS Campus from the lakeside, south entrance on Del Paseo is the most convenient.  We are located on the Neill James Mural Art Patio next to the Gazebo.

If you are not already registered, check your state's deadline for registration.  Some deadlines are currently passing.  You can check your state here:
http://https//www.votefromabroad.org/states/

See you next Tuesday, if you need help.

My office will fax ballots for free while you wait and give you confirmation or give you free US stamps to be able to mail.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

DON'T FORGET TO VOTE. Remember each state's rules are a bit different and some counties have their own rules as well. If you haven't already done so, request your ballot NOW. All states provide an online method of accessing your ballot.

If you are from one of the following 26 states/jurisdictions, you can return your voted ballot by EMAIL or ONLINE UPLOAD:

AL, AZ, CO, DC, DE, HI, IA, IN, KS, MA, ME, MO, MS, MT, NC, ND, NE*, NM, NV, OR, RI, SC, UT, WA, WV, WY*

*Nebraska voters must get their Local Election Official's approval to return a voted ballot electronically.

*Wyoming is currently setting up its email return system, so please contact your Local Election Official for details.

If you are from one of the following 5 states, you can return your voted ballot by FAX:

AK, CA, FL, LA*, OK

*Louisiana voters must get their Local Election Official's approval to return a voted ballot electronically.

Please note, you can use the email-to-fax service that is offered free of charge to overseas U.S. citizens by the Federal Voting Assistance Program.

IMPORTANT: be sure to format your .pdf as "U.S. Letter" sized paper. Simply email your completed ballot with the required cover sheet to fax@fvap.gov and it will be faxed to your Local Election Officials.

If you prefer, HelloFax is a popular service you can use directly from your computer. It is free for a limited number of faxes. Spencer's office will also help you fax your ballot.

Given that the postal systems around the world are severely affected by the COVID-19 crisis, WE URGE YOU TO VOTE AND RETURN YOUR BALLOT AS SOON AS YOU RECEIVE IT. Please plan to use a courier service or the Diplomatic Pouch.  See instructions on the Original Post.

Check your state's Secretary of State and your County's Election Official's Website for any specific instructions. Follow the instructions exactly or your ballot may be rejected.

And for those of you who have already voted (thanks!) -- TRACK Your Vote!  There may be a tracking website shown on your ballot materials.  If not, you can start here, at the state level, then winnow your way down to find your status. 

https://www.pcmag.com/how-to/how-to-track-your-absentee-ballot-by-state

FYI, we fax'd our FL ballots on Sept. 22nd and just yesterday they now show as "counted."  

Some states process and count as ballots are received; others have tabulation dates set by state law, a few states have to wait until election day to count.  

I just received this from the Voter Assistance Team:

If you requested your ballot but haven’t received it, Vote From Abroad-Lake Chapala is offering three final in-person voting assistance sessions from 10 am to 1 pm at the Lake Chapala Society to help voters complete Federal Write-in Absentee Ballots (FWABs):

Tuesday, October 20,·        
    Thursday, October 22, and
    Tuesday, October 27.

Also, there is an outside chance that people who still need to register to vote and/or request their overseas absentee ballots might still be able to do so.  Check your state’s deadlines here:  http://votefromabroad.org/states/  

States have been newly mandated to provide overseas voters with a way to track the status of their ballots.  Ballot trackers for most states can be found here:  http://usvotefoundation.org/wheres-my-ballot

If you deposited your ballot in one of Vote From Abroad’s two ballot collection boxes at Lakeside and it hasn’t yet been received by your Local Election Office, please be patient for a few more days. Reports have just begun to arrive of those ballots reaching their Local Election Officers.

This year’s deadline to get ballots to the consulate was chosen by the consulate to give the ballots three weeks to arrive at their destinations--which would be Monday, October 26.

Should your ballot not arrive by then, the remedy is for you to complete a Federal Write-in Absentee Ballot (FWAB) and send it to the U.S. by a courier service approved by your Local Election Official.  The instructions for filling in the FWAB can be found here and the form itself here.  DHL is offering us a 30% discount until October 30.  To use it, go to the DHL office on the Carretera in Ajijic with this coupon sheet.  We believe that October 29 is the safest LAST DAY to courier your FWAB back to the U.S.

If you find you need help, come to one of our sessions at LCS, as above.

Finally, it was brought to our attention on Friday that a new statute had been passed dictating that voters who file a Federal Write-in Absentee Ballot (FWAB) “should make every reasonable effort to inform the appropriate State election official that the voter has submitted more than one ballot.”  What this means, in practice, is that when voters send in their official ballot after submitting a Backup Ballot (FWAB), they need also to send an email to their Local Election Office or call to let them know.  Local contact information is available at:   http://votefromabroad.org/states/

Further questions?  Concerns?  Write to the Get Out The Vote team at LakeChapalaVOTE@gmail.com

• Thanks 1