Chapala.com Webboard

Verification text from Capital one 360

sm1mex

That's a good question.  Its depends on what criteria your bank is validating the destination phone number.  If they are rejecting VoIP lines, that's tough.  They could also be sending an SMS short code and some VOip line won't receive.  My Callcentric line will receive short code messages from Wells Fargo.....so I'm hanging on.  At some point may need to get a US number. 

You can resolve this in one of two ways. If you have a relative in the US who doesn't mind helping, give CO their number, then have your relative immediately send the number to you with WhatsApp.

Our you can get a Consumer Cellular account for $20/mo. It will receive texts here. It will need to be initialized in the US. In my case, I got my daughter to buy the CC burner in Target, then send it to me.

From personal experience, both work.

Google voice is FREE it will also be tied to your gmail and can be used via webpage or app. You will need to have someone in the US to get the verify code from google. Google calls the landline and a recording gives the code. BE SURE TO TURN OFF FORWARDING after getting your google number because everytime someone calls your new google number it will ring your friends phone

I use a duel sim card phone, with the most basic package from NOB. I receive text for free without a roaming package. The other sim slot, I have a Telmex card. Lots of Android options, but I've been told it is more complicated with an IPhone.

Cut and paste the following to see options (I'd expect significant import duties to Mexico): 

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=dual+sim+unlocked+cell+phones&sprefix=dual+sim+&ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_9

23 hours ago, sm1mex said:

My phone is unlocked. The problem is getting a us SIM card With a us carrier in my name. Anyone know how?  

Not an easy process. I have done this, but it relies on having an address and some willing help in the USA. 

I opened an account with Consumer Cellular. &20/mo. Then when the SIM arrived in the mail, my daughter put it in her ( unlocked) phone to verify/initiate the account. Then send the SIM to me. Goes in an old phone, or in the other slot of a dual SIM phone. 

I use it to recieve texts ONLY. Using it to make calls is expensive, and you can't send texts from here.

17 minutes ago, Brian Dalziel said:

Isn't it true that all Capital One 360 customers are required to have an address in the U.S.A. ?

Yes, but can not one have several homes on several continents. I opened my accounts with them when I was a US resident but now I tell them I am a world traveler.