Chapala.com Webboard

Tiny, tiny ants

CHILLIN

This is the first year I have seen them. These are not the sugar, pharaoh, pissants. They are a quarter of size of those. Just a about double the size of a dot on a page. They definitely act like ants, and I am sure I could kill them with boric acid/sugar solution - but they work so hard and are not bothering anybody or plants.

edit Looks like they could be Ghost Ants. A new one for me.

Are the ants inside or outside? I have thousands outside on the walkway suddenly. I wondered if they were moving to a new location but they are so small you can't see if they are carrying eggs. If you walk over them some climb up you.   

Now I have 1,000s of slightly larger ants at the other end of my patio going somewhere. I usualIy find when they are on the move  like this they have found a new food source or they are moving their nest. Who knows what they are up to? I just hope they stay out of the house. 

1 hour ago, CHILLIN said:

You won't believe this, but I looked it up and there are Pygmy Ant Eaters, which are reported to be excellent household pets. Cute and playful - apparently.

Salvador Dali had an anteater as a pet.

My brother-in-law as a teenager had a Lesser Anteater as a pet at his parents' home.  I remember how it would s-l-o-w-l-y (they move at glacial speed) turn toward anyone who entered the rec room with a sweet drink.  Especially Hawaiian Punch.  

54 minutes ago, RickS said:

Of course Dali was also found to meet the diagnostic criteria for psychotic illnesses.... difficulties determining what is real and what is not real. 

Yahbut walking his Silky Anteater on a leash in Paris in 1969 is pretty - cool. He deaply loved that animal, and he brought it with him on his interview on the Dick Cavett show. Now how is that for histrionics.

3 hours ago, CHILLIN said:

These are inside. We have a lot of cantera stone veneer, so they have lots of nooks and crannies to hide and nest in.

Maybe we will have to find a tiny ant eater!

I keep telling my husband that we need an anteater that we can let roam the garden eating the millions of leaf cutter ants! He's not too keen. LOL