Chapala.com Webboard

Body work

Mijo

On 9/8/2020 at 8:59 AM, Upfront said:

fernando prices were very fair. this guys prices have gone skyhigh. probably too many expats telling him how muchmore he could get.

A common issue when people compare prices in Mexico to those in other countries with different economic structures. I consider it a form of "economic terrorism". This behaviour hurts everyone in the long run.

• Like 1

On 9/8/2020 at 8:59 AM, Upfront said:

fernando prices were very fair. this guys prices have gone skyhigh. probably too many expats telling him how muchmore he could get.

I think the same. The new guy is Ricardo.

14 hours ago, Upfront said:

and yet you can find the most horrendous stories about roberts on this board.

Sure it wasn't Juniors ? We've used Roberto's a couple of times with good results, at least commensurate with the price. I wouldn't take a brand new car there and expect as new finish

1 hour ago, ea93105 said:

Sure it wasn't Juniors ? We've used Roberto's a couple of times with good results, at least commensurate with the price. I wouldn't take a brand new car there and expect as new finish

I think you are correct. Junior's is the shop I heard negative things about. The shops are close to each other. We used Roberts and they did a good job for a fair price.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ea93105 said:

I have found that both Robert and Estilo Junior do inferior work but they are cheaper. Fernando's now called Body Shop does much better work. I had to take a vehicle back to Estilo Junior 3 times and the paint job was still not very good.

14 hours ago, Upfront said:

can i ask what did you have done and how much. used to be 1200 for a bumper or hood or door, 1400 for a quarter panel

Yes, you can ask but I don't think the answer is as simple as you seem to think as It depends on many things. I don't see how the price can be broken down so simply. For me price is not the main objective-but good long lasting quality is. When I pay for something years later I probably won't remember how much I paid but I will notice if the quality is poor or good and it will bug me that someone could get away with doing sloppy work.

10 hours ago, Upfront said:

two things. one when fernando ran the place that is EXACTLY how things were priced. he had a fixed price for each part of the body. period. two the price is EXTREMELY important. ignoring prices is just begging to be taken especially in this town

I used Fernando several times and that isn't exactly how things were priced. You sound a bit too price conscious. I'll take quality first any day. Begging to be taken!? Not likely-I just want value for my money. I told him that I did not want a boiler plate price but a price based on how long they worked on the vehicle and their cost for materials.

That is exactly how I remember Fernando pricing things....  rear bumper, front bumper, quarter panel. But of course it made some difference if one was driving an F350 or a Honda Fit. 

I also remember a car that I was buying being painted partially at an old guy down just outside of Joco (or was it SJC?). Once finished, it was not to my liking.... does 'orange peel' mean anything to you.....and Fernando re-did it VERY reasonably for me. 

But we also have to remember that Fernando has not been there for several years and what hasn't increased in price during that timeframe?