Chapala.com Webboard

Permanente card and notarized copy

ra27

Why carry the original at all?  I only take mine out of the house when I'm flying/traveling outside of MEX.  Or when needed for a specific transaction, i.e., getting my drivers license.  

In the 8+ years we've lived here, we have never been asked by anyone to see our RP (or prior to RP, our FM3 and later an FM2), other than at border or at an airport when leaving or arriving on an international flight from outside MEX.  And this includes driving all over MEX and flying many times within MEX.  

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, RVGRINGO said:

Keep the copy at home, but carry the original. If lost, report it to Ministerio Publico, then take that report and your copy, with other ID, to INM in order to apply for replacement.

More bad advice..

Never carry the original with you.  Get a notarized wallet sized copy and carry that with you, a notarized copy is acceptable.  If you lose the original it is a hassle getting all of the necessary paper work together and going through the process of getting a replacement.

In my 14years here I have never been stopped and asked for it other than when I fly in and out of the country...

• Like 1

The real question is why carry anything ..original or copy?  Transit police have no right to ask to see it..local police have no right to ask to see it. For sure they are not going to call imigration to send an agent.  As mentioned in other posts no one asks to see it.  

If they do ask (even though they are not legally able) tell them it is at home. But don't worry because the situation won't come up.

When in your home country do you carry your passport to prove your citizenship?

42 minutes ago, Mostlylost said:

When in your home country do you carry your passport to prove your citizenship?

In your "home country" as a citizen no but as  a "Residente Permanente" yes you need to carry your immigration card at all times to prove your immigration status when asked by officials exactly the same as in Mexico according to the SEGOB  INM rules. Not a copy or a notarized copy but the official INM card/document. Break the rules if you want to. Federal Police and INM officials can ask. So can INSABI [using their emergency room etc], state and federal agencies when doing business with them. Probably the National Guard since they are replacing the Federal Police can ask also.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

21 minutes ago, AlanMexicali said:

In your "home country" as a citizen no but as  a "Residente Permanente" yes you need to card your immigration card at all times to prove your immigration status when asked by officials exactly the same as in Mexico according to the SEGOB  INM rules. Not a copy or a notarized copy but the official INM card/document. Break the rules if you want to. Federal Police and INM officials can ask. So can INSABI [using their emergency room etc], state and federal agencies when doing business with them. Probably the National Guard since they are replacing the Federal Police can ask also.

So in your home country how do you prove your citizenship or your right to be there if asked by a policeman?? Answer is you don't beause they won't ask or can't ask by law depending on where you are .......so you don't carry proof with you. 

In 45+ years I don't know of anyone asked to show their visa, resident card, or passport to any policeman inckuding federal police. I would wager that fewer than one in a thousand policemen here have any knowledge of imigration law.

We are not in a "let me verify that your papers are in order" police state.

Like a debit card....best left at home until you will have an actual need for it.

• Like 4

For 50 pesos, a notario will give you a notarized copy with a seal on it.  I never carry my original, just the notarized copy.  If cashing a check at Intercam, they ask to see it and the notarized copy is fine.  If I use my Intercam debit card to pay my TelMex bill (when it was open), they ask to see my permanente i.d. and the notarized copy is always sufficient.  The original never leaves my house unless I'm leaving the country and need the original when crossing borders.  The local police have nothing to do with INM and have no authority to ask for proof of residence.

• Like 2

All those comments about not needing to carry it with you are correct.  I do keep a regular copy in my wallet in case I need some type of ID besides my driver's license.  I used to use that copy at my bank as ID, however, now they do want the original for withdrawals.

In five years, no one has asked to see it other than the bank.  Some people just thrive and operate on fear of every rule.  Don't let that be you.

• Like 1

I too am reluctant to carry the original so I carry a notarized copy of my RP. My bank has asked several times for my original it but I show them my Mexican drivers license instead which has always been good enough

Google Translation:

"MIGRATION LAW
New Law published in the Official Gazette of the Federation on May 25, 2011
CURRENT TEXT
Last reform published 07-03-2019
In the margin a seal with the National Shield, which reads: United Mexican States.- Presidency of the
Republic.
FELIPE DE JESÚS CALDERÓN HINOJOSA, President of the United Mexican States, to his
inhabitants know:
That the Honorable Congress of the Union has addressed me the following
DECREE
"THE GENERAL CONGRESS OF THE UNITED MEXICAN STATES, D E C R E T A:
THE MIGRATION LAW IS ISSUED AND IS REFORMED, REPEALED AND ADDED

"...must comply with the provisions of this Law and other provisions
applicable legal.

SECOND TITLE:
RIGHTS AND OBLIGATIONS OF MIGRANTS

SINGLE CHAPTER
RIGHTS AND OBLIGATIONS:

Article 6. The Mexican State will guarantee the exercise of the rights and freedoms of foreigners recognized in the Constitution, in international treaties and conventions to which the
Mexican State and applicable legal provisions, regardless of your situation.

"Article 16. Migrants must comply with the following obligations:

I. In the case of foreigners with a regular immigration status, safeguard and guard the documentation proving your identity and your situation.

II. Show the documentation that proves your identity and your regular immigration status, when is required by the immigration authorities;

III. Provide the information and personal data that are requested by the authorities competent, within the scope of their powers, the foregoing without prejudice to the provisions of the Federal Law on Transparency and Access to Public Government Information and other applicable provisions in the matter, and:

IV. The other obligations established in the Constitution, in this Law, its Regulations and other applicable provisions.

Article 17. Only the immigration authorities may retain the documentation that proves the
identity and migratory situation of migrants when there are elements to presume that they are apocryphal, in which case they must immediately inform the authorities competent for them to resolve what is conducive."

The law doesn't mention showing no immigration document or showing a copy or showing a notorized copy of an immigration document when asked. It states you are obligated to show the original document.

Just another "The sky is falling" thread. Has anyone here ever been asked by a traffic cop or any other authority, Federal, State or Local to see your original RP or any other visa? If it makes you feel better maybe you should get a notarized copy but most of what you read here about carrying your original is FAKE NEWS!!!

10 minutes ago, Upfront said:

god more moronic crap from you. do you even know what fake news means. your OPINION means less than zero. POST SOME FACTS

I have asked if anyone here has ever been stopped and asked for an original RP or other visa by a  traffic cop or any other authority...Federal, State or Local. So far none! This is not my OPINION...What are your FACTS?

In 29 of 31 states, a valid temporal or permanente immigration status must be proven to obtain a driving license, which if issued expires on the same date as the immigration credential. Therefore if you hold a valid unexpired license, any law enforcement or INM official could infer that you also have valid immigration status. Unless your license was issued in Guerrero or Zacatecas.

I've never been asked to show a passport or other proof of immigration status, except when entering or exiting the country. Also, it seems that officials are focused on migrants from central america these days, not people from Canada or the USA.

Maybe 10 years ago when we had FM-2s and FM-3s, I was incorrectly requested for my FM-3 by some crooked traffic officers. I used to write for the Guadalajara Reporter in those days, and showed them my press card and asked them if they would help me right an article about them and the new rules and about how polite they were.

To make a long story short, they said this is just a warning and said they wouldn't fine me the $1,000 pesos or some other fake  exaggerated amount

10 hours ago, AlanMexicali said:

II. Show the documentation that proves your identity and your regular immigration status, when is required by the immigration authorities;

The law says you have to show your immigration documents to IMMIGRATION AUTHORITIES.  You will find them at INM offices and at Mexican airports that host international flights.  

• Thanks 2

And to those wasting money for a notarized copy "that bears the weight of an original". Color copies of original documents are illegal in Mexico.  But a quick buck for a Notario who is fully aware that no one will ever ask to see it on the street. 

And if it "bears the weight of an original" try using it at a federal or state office that requires proof of residency.