Chapala.com Webboard

Joco bypass is breaking up

That road had problems from day one. The contractor obviously cheated on construction and was never held accountable.

Patches (as they are doing) will not work. The road safety can only get worse.

I laughed a couple of years ago when a large pothole developed near the Joco entrance/exit. The solution for a couple of weeks was to paint a white circle around the hole.

SunFan

5 hours ago, Fred Habacht said:

Due to over loaded  trucks, the Jocotepec bypass is breaking up in the section nearest the Guadalajara highway. The ruts can be dangerous at night.

It is not due to overloaded trucks, it is due to poor engineering and poor construction.  That road collapsed and was closed for months within a few weeks of being opened.There have been potholes and large dips in that road since the day it reopened. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, TelsZ4 said:

It is not due to overloaded trucks, it is due to poor engineering and poor construction.  That road collapsed and was closed for months within a few weeks of being opened.There have been potholes and large dips in that road since the day it reopened. 

Exactly ,it ain't nothing new.

I use that bypass fairly often. It is getting dangerous again. The problem seems to stem from poor quality construction materials and techniques.

8 hours ago, Fred Habacht said:

Due to over loaded  trucks, the Jocotepec bypass is breaking up in the section nearest the Guadalajara highway. The ruts can be dangerous at night.

More a case of extremely shoddy construction.  It is so bad it could only be fixed by digging up the entire road and building a new foundation under it.

14 hours ago, Mainecoons said:

More a case of extremely shoddy construction.  It is so bad it could only be fixed by digging up the entire road and building a new foundation under it.

They dug up (about 1/2 meter deep) the western section of it several years ago and put a gravel foundation down (which was hell to drive on) and then repaved it. That same section is the worst part right now. Also the material they sprayed on the slopes above this highway to prevent erosion is failing.

I noticed when they resurfaced parts of the Chapala to Guadalajara Careterra, they used a thick layer of hydraulic lime powder on top of the base just before the paving phase. This creates a low cost waterproof barrier. These were class a contractors. The Libramento is also in fine shape these days, same technique. Waterproofing seems to be the problem and the cure. Besides, Lime is natural, inexpensive and friendly to the environment. Water is one of the most destructive forces on Earth, but also one of most important for life.

The Chapala to GDL repavement started failing less than 6 months after the first section was finished. It has hundreds of repairs in less than 2 years.  There are areas that have been patched 3 or 4 times. Right now there is a dangerous failure just before the libramiento sur overpass.(3rd resurface in 12 years)

Areas of the Ajijic libramiento's last repavement are showing cracks already. You will see baches by October. (The 4th resurface in 10 years) 

If these were class a contractors ...then how bad is a non class a contractor's work?

• Like 1

18 hours ago, cedros said:

They dug up (about 1/2 meter deep) the western section of it several years ago and put a gravel foundation down (which was hell to drive on) and then repaved it. That same section is the worst part right now. Also the material they sprayed on the slopes above this highway to prevent erosion is failing.

When you build on deep fill the foundation work has to go much deeper.  

10 minutes ago, Mainecoons said:

I have no idea how deep the fill is there.

5 hours ago, Mainecoons said:

I think there is more to it than that.., I’m no expert but I think it’s an issue with water, I have driven that road when it’s been raining and there was an awful lot of water running down the face of the cliff.  I would think you need to divert the water somewhere so it’s not washing  the underlying foundation away.

• Like 1