Chapala.com Webboard

'04 vehicle sold new in US, nationalized in MX, can it be re-registered in Texas?

DonJuane

(Asking for a friend not "up" on blogs and forums)

Can the  car I now own, originally sold in the US with VIN history records available on CarFax, nationalized for import into Mexico, resold to me by a used car dealership in Mexico, now plated (Guanajuato state) in Mexico in my name and with no copy of old US title but a legal bill of sale from Mexico car lot  - can that car be taken to Texas and a Texas title obtained to register my car in Texas and if so by what steps?   Thanks in advance.

Other potentially relevant facts: I am US citizen who is Permiente in Mexico, I have a Laredo Postage mailing suite address.   My boyfriend is a US citizen and Texas resident with TXDL and proof of Texas residency.  My own bank address lists the Laredo address. 

If you are able to obtain a copy of the original Texas title and you want a Texas plate for the vehicle then you can expect to pay all license and registration fees retroactive since the last registration. In recent years, the titles for US vehicles were voided at the border if you nationalized the vehicle at the border.  I suggest you call the county of the residency of your boyfriend and inquire about specifics.  (Maybe not mention that you bought the vehicle in Mexico.)

I am not familiar with bonded titles in Texas but that may be another option if the title had not been voided at the border.  Good luck,

Ditto on the comments that you need to check with Texas as to what they require. I did something similar and Colorado required a 'clean US title', not one that Mexican authorities had stamped as Nationalized. I was lucky that I was buying from the seller direct who Nationalized it and I was able to get a POA from him, then acquired a duplicate (Nevada) title which I could present to Colorado along with a/some forms from US Customs saying that the car 'still' met all EPA/California/DOT regulations in force the date the car was manufactured. 

I say 'lucky' but of course I made sure that all of that was doable BEFORE I purchased the truck with Jalisco plates. 

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Theoretically, as long as the vehicle has not been modified and is still in compliance with US standards, the answer is yes and it is duty-free.

Your vehcile will have to go through an inspection (I believe they are still only by appt at the border crossing of entry) and meet the requirements, but this CBP link may help you.

https://www.cbp.gov/trade/basic-import-export/importing-car#:~:text=Re-Importing A Previously Exported,registered in the United States.

• Re-Importing A Previously Exported Vehicle
    A vehicle taken from the United States for non-commercial, private use may be returned duty free by proving to CBP that it was previously owned and registered in the United States. This proof may be a state-issued registration card for the automobile or a bill of sale for the car from a U.S. dealer. Repairs or accessories acquired abroad for your vehicle must be declared on your return and may be subject to duty.
    In some countries, it will be difficult or impossible to obtain unleaded fuel for your vehicle. If the vehicle is driven using leaded gasoline, it will be necessary for you to replace the catalyst and oxygen sensor upon its return to the U.S. To avoid the expense of replacing these parts you may obtain authorization from EPA to remove the catalyst and oxygen sensor before the vehicle is shipped overseas. The EPA telephone number for these authorizations is (202) 564-2418. When the vehicle returns to the U.S., the original catalyst and oxygen sensor will need to be reinstalled. However, you may now reenter your U.S. version vehicle into the U.S. without bond, upon your assurance that you will have the reinstallation performed.

We asked that question at DMV in Laredo last year.  Importation paperwork from MX makes the car legally Mexican, of course.  DMV told us we needed to have proof of residency in TX, car inspected and a couple of other minor things to register it in TX.  They did not want any previous paperwork regarding the vehicle before it was imported to MX.   We did not follow through with this project so we have no idea if it actually worked or not.

Your comments are about Step 2.  Step 1 is to legally Import it back into the US with Customs as mentioned above.  Again, the mantra is "Check with Texas".... unless of course Texas believes they are a country unto themselves and they don't need no stinking Customs folks interfering with their business. 🏰