Chapala.com Webboard

ATTN: HARRY B. NEED PHONE FOR NOISE COMPLAINTS

ezpz

Now that the bars are opening up more and later - I live in earshot of 3 bars that feature live music, which, here, is dependably too loud and very aggravating to the neighbors, what with the open air architecture constructed of very echo-y concrete or bricks.  These groups are often so loud they sound like they are in your own house, obliterating every bit of free choice that you have regarding what you like to do in your own house.

The trouble with term limits is that every 3 years the administration changes in Chapala, for better or worse.  Most of the staff also changes, but they do not have land  phones in their offices, you have to find out these people's cel phone #s every new term.  That would be for the head of the Ecology dept., and the jefe de licensias, the licensing boss, who oversees business permits.  Bar/restaurant complaints go to them, you call the PD in Chapala for all other noise complaints. 

Muchas gracias for any good information.

Found this at Chapala Expat Liaison FB page, from a few weeks ago.

Only Reglamentos can do anything about noise. they are supposed to be 24/7 , but. Maybe the answer is to ask who will be on duty on the weekend and what is the phone number. Office #33 13 48 78 18

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, ezpz said:

Now that the bars are opening up more and later - I live in earshot of 3 bars that feature live music, which, here, is dependably too loud and very aggravating to the neighbors, what with the open air architecture constructed of very echo-y concrete or bricks.  These groups are often so loud they sound like they are in your own house, obliterating every bit of free choice that you have regarding what you like to do in your own house.

The trouble with term limits is that every 3 years the administration changes in Chapala, for better or worse.  Most of the staff also changes, but they do not have land  phones in their offices, you have to find out these people's cel phone #s every new term.  That would be for the head of the Ecology dept., and the jefe de licensias, the licensing boss, who oversees business permits.  Bar/restaurant complaints go to them, you call the PD in Chapala for all other noise complaints. 

Muchas gracias for any good information.

Here we go again...   Before trying to get the administration to do something on you’re behalf have you spoken to the bar/restaurant owners.. .?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, oregontochapala said:

It seems to me that a group of neighbors presenting their complaint to the bar owner would be the most effective action.

That would seem to me to be the first step.. But so many of the expats here won’t do that, they want someone else to do it for them...they like to complain. 
They buy a property that’s cheap because it’s very close to a commercial area which has had bars and restaurants with music long before they purchased their property and then they want other people to solve their problems for them.  A little due diligence would have solved their problem before it even started..

• Like 6

Newsflash:  I moved to two different neighborhoods in Ajijic 8-11 years ago that were quiet and THEN the noise started.  I am not living out of suitcases here, I have every thing I own in my home and moving is not an option until I decide to go to assisted living, which is a few years off.  Plus, I have a great deal on a house that I like very much.  People often make very presumptious statements on this board.  We are not all newcomers. 

I also think that that the  vast majority of the gringos here have never experienced the amount and the intensity of the decible levels near the local bars because they are surrounded mostly by Mexican residents.  The reason some of you think it's always the "same people complaining" is that we are the ones that live very near the bars, or uphill from them!  There was a meeting in Chapala a while back of over 25 people who had serious complaints on the west end.  

It's only fair to mention that I have 20 years of full time professional performing experience utilizing amplified sound and I can tell you that almost no one around here knows how to use it or do a competent sound check.  It often sounds like little kids are playing with the sound equipment.  There is also the issue of the Mexican architecture - open air and built with concrete and bricks, which makes for a huge echo effect, making the noise even louder and it travels farther.  

I also speak Spanish and have organized with my neighbors, all Mexicans, to make some judiciously timed complaints which really worked.  In the past, the bar owners have been very rude and dismissing to neighbors, so it has been necessary to go to the law which is not always dependable either.  You have to wear them out with complaints before they act. Complaining is how you get things done around here!   But now we have a much tighter Jalisco sound law which came about due to literally thousands of noise complaints from people in GDL.  If you want to see how Mexicans feel about neighborhood noise go the FB page of cruzadacontraelruido - the crusade against the noise.

Having said all that, I did talk to one of the bar/restaurant owners and he turned out to be quite a nice guy and heard me out and was very polite and responsive.  Due to CV precautions the bar/restaurants are not staying open so late, but that could change.  So, I'm keeping my fingers crossed.  After putting up with 8 Noise Years of bar and gym noise from 3 different locations, I am now severely allergic to it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2