Chapala.com Webboard

Cuban Sandwichaholic???

heidinrick

I ate there today. Sandwich was good (nothing to write home about)  but the side purple cole salad was not welcome. But 40 pesos for ice tea ?!? that was a turn off.  Too bad because its a convenient location.  Huertos is still a better option for the money.

Chinese boxes   ( often homemade ) were used  by the Cubans in Miami  ,when I was a Chef there  in the 70’s.  to slow roast whole young pigs for   “ Buena Noche “   The roast pork generally used for Cuban sandwiches  is either leg or shoulder slow roasted , basted often with  mojo .

Yep.... I can just see the health and fire inspectors In Miami allowing restaurants to have a 4 to 5 foot long plywood box covered in aluminum foil and topped with 20 pounds of burning charcoal in the middle of a restaurant kitchen never mind the smoke and your insurance company .

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

26 minutes ago, Ian Greenwood said:

Yep.... I can just see the health and fire inspectors In Miami allowing restaurants to have a 4 to 5 foot long plywood box covered in aluminum foil and topped with 20 pounds of burning charcoal in the middle of a restaurant kitchen never mind the smoke and your insurance company .

OK, see it... your fears at 14:00.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, gringohombre said:

Some fresh air might do you some good also...oh, I forgot, you might have to take your gas mask (in addition to a face mask) to avoid all the teargas and smoke from the burning buildings up there in the NW where you are holed up. And, by the way, don't I remember tons and tons of information imparted here by YOU about YOUR past life??? Hope you are enjoying your life with Cortana, I hear she is a lovely gal!!! 

The forest fires are really bad up here in Washington State. It is even worse in Southern California. And yes Cortana and my other friend Siri can be quite helpful. Really, you ought to try using them. And yes I did notice that you were trying to friend me on Facebook and that you had been going into my personal files to learn as much as you could about me. But no big deal.

• Sad 1

Great Video ....just a fabulous looking roast pig ... Some of the best traditional Cuban dishes done really well. That however is a fire roasting oven... A traditional Chinese box has no direct flame and relies on charcoal piled on top . It cooks real slow and takes about 4 to 5 hours to cook somewhat similar to a a Hawaiian pit roast . I lived in little Havana and probably tried just about every Cubano joints I could find looking For the. best medianoche ..the perfect late night or hang over food .

1 hour ago, johanson said:

The forest fires are really bad up here in Washington State. It is even worse in Southern California. And yes Cortana and my other friend Siri can be quite helpful. Really, you ought to try using them. And yes I did notice that you were trying to friend me on Facebook and that you had been going into my personal files to learn as much as you could about me. But no big deal.

Lies, lies and more lies...I do not do Facebook and know nothing about it...Plus I could care less about you...there is something not right about you...get out of my life por favor!!!

• Sad 2

8 hours ago, gringal said:

...so after I pointed out that the topic was hijacked, there have been 15 more posts having NADA to do with food or restaurants  !!!!  What gives???

My question is, why would you pick a thread with a hundred topics being discussed, to advertise your ineffectiveness???  :D:D:D

Now when you lived in CA, did you ever eat wild game that was slow roasted by natural forest fires that occur so often. You have to get there while the ground is still smoldering but not to hot to walk on and before it cools off completely.  Never once saw a Cuban.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Bisbee Gal said:

Rick----if you are still reading this thread, do you know if Sabor del Caribe is using a China Box (aka Caja China) to cook their pork?  About 10 years ago there was a place on the libramiento near where Pollo Don David is now, that had a China Box and their pork was excellent.  

I have no idea...all I know is we're going back this week. Loved it!

8 minutes ago, Mainecoons said:

I can't believe I missed all the fun and back biting here.  That's what I get for going on an RV trip.

This place looks great, minus the flies.  There's another place in that area we haven't returned to because of flies from nearby horses.  Hope this one doesn't have the same problem.

The fly season is coming to an end thankfully.

A friend, a long term resident wrote to inform me that there was a posting on this site that totally evidenced proof of the level of insanity that can develop in a retirement community where boredom and lack of industry takes hold.   Curiosity took over and I looked......and totally agree!  I also have to say that our one and only visit to "Sabor Del Caribe" (located at Hidalgo 257-B, informally known as the Carretera, in Riberas Del Pilar on the north side of the road) did not, in any way provide us with any reason to return.

Evidence:  LOOK AT HOW MANY TIMES THE SAME INMATES POSTED!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you so much Heidi n Rick ....sorry about all the dumb asses that answered your post  ...the Cuban Sandwich ,   Malanga fritters   ,black beans .. the real deal... definitely a return visit ...lots of interesting choices on the menu . If  you don’t like this Cuban Sandwich it’s because you don’t know what a Cuban Sandwich is..

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Please clarify (. You’re not usually short of words ) what do you disagree with...the dumb asses , the malanga fritters or the the composition of aCuban sandwich.... “ barely it “ ....perhaps you’re a little more familiar with the McDonalds attempt in the early 2000 ‘s... hold the ketchup..please....one has to wonder did you ever live in a Cuban neighborhood.

• Like 1

On September 9th when I first posted it was after receiving a friend's suggestion that we read the prior responses to the post.  My wife and I decided to take a look for ourselves.  We know very well what a Cuban sandwich is, having been to Cuba, southern Florida and the area around "Nueve Esquinas" in Guadalajara.  Further, there are probably at least a dozen authentic Cuban eateries in Guadalajara.  We also have our favourite Cuban restaurants in Scottsdale/Phoenix and having been, successfully in the restaurant business for many years we know what service, quality, value and the importance of visible management is all about!

There were three other diners present when we arrived at about 1:30p.m.  A lone woman reading a magazine and we never observed her eating. An elderly man and woman who left about ten minutes after we arrived.   The young waitress (the only employee we ever saw although it was apparent that someone else was in the kitchen) took our order for two beers.  Of the four beers listed on their poster board only two were available.  Twenty minutes went by before we received our beers (Victoria) but twice the waitress had returned to our table to ask which beer we had ordered.  We ordered two grilled Cuban sandwiches.  It was another 1/2 hour before we received our sandwiches.  The library patron had also left.  When our sandwiches arrived a lone male patron had just been seated.

Our sandwiches could not have been 1/2 inch thick and the toasted bun had been so obviously over toasted on a "press grill" that it was more like a "cracker" than bread.  The cracker was hard and scorched.  The ham was a square, thin, pink slice of processed something (perhaps turkey, some kind of ham or maybe even turtle....impossible to identify!) The pork consisted of thin pieces of almost burnt shreds of pork that were so dry they crunched.  It was identifiable as pork because virtually everyone knows what pork fat smells like.  The thin slice of yellowish processed cheese was not identifiable as it had virtually liquified and blended with the mustard.  There was so much plain yellow mustard on the sandwich that the mustard was really the only thing you could taste.   The fries were overcooked, dry and almost cold.

When our food arrived we had asked for another "Victoria" to split between us, but apparently the two we had received were the last available.  Remaining choice "Corona" but definitely not to our taste or liking, so we passed.

So the good thing....We had a polite, pretty little waitress who, likely to most 14 year olds,  would be considered "hot".  However, we left all of the fries, at least half of our sandwiches and when we settled our bill with our usual level of gratuity (as we know that no employee here has sufficient income and most have absolutely zero control over who they work for or the quality of what they serve)... our little waitress pleasantly said:  that she hoped we would return sometime soon!

Not exactly a visit worth repeating!  In addition the abundance of flies and road noise definitely detract from the ambiance.

Rick & Heidi.  Your visit and subsequent report should definitely have been recognized as being exceptional.  (It was only after reading your initial post that we decided to visit.)  Your visit must be considered as something akin to winning a lottery.  You should have immediately after leaving, raced to OXXO to buy a lottery ticket.  We ate many, many times in your restaurant and never, ever experienced anything even remotely close to our Cuban excursion in Riberas.  In fact, in our twenty three years, since first coming to Lakeside, I can really only remember having experienced one other Mexican restaurant experience where the food deserved an equivalent description:  TOTALLY INEDIBLE!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1