Chapala.com Webboard

Seasonal Flu Shots Available Here Yet?

Basically the AMLO administration is saying mañana........

from today's morning press conference

MEXICO CITY, Aug 31, 2020.- The Government will report in the next few hours the situation regarding the issue of influenza vaccines in the country.  The arrival of the autumn-winter season begins in Mexico in a few weeks.  

President Andrés Manuel López Obrador offered to make the information on the subject transparent, as there are versions of medical personnel from the health sector in the sense that the vaccine against seasonal influenza will not be available to the public until November of this year.

That is, two months after what was customary in previous years and contrary to what had been offered a couple of months ago by the health authorities at the federal level, to advance the influenza vaccination campaign to avoid the seriousness in the health status of patients who could be infected with both viruses.

But are there vaccines or are there no vaccines, can people go to health centers to get vaccinated? The press insisted.

The president assured that the undersecretary of health, Hugo López-Gatell Ramírez must report in detail the situation facing Mexico at this time regarding vaccines against influenza.

I've read 2 articles from different sources suggesting we delay our flu shots until late September or early October to help carry us through what is imagined to be a "longer than usual" flu season.  Just something to consider.  I encourage everyone to get a flu shot, this year, more than ever.  Might add that if your pneumonia vaccination isn't up to date, you may consider having that as well.  Please stay safe and healthy.

Salud,

Val  :)

• Like 1

November. Usually the first week or two is when they arrived at either the IMSS hospital or clinic or ISSSTE clinic or Seguro Popular clinic in either Mexicali or San Luis Potosi every year since 2005 when I got mine. I was caught in the 2006 1H1N flu outbreak in Mexicali and never didn't get a flu vaccination as soon as they were available every year since. I haven't had the flu in many decades.

This year might be different considering.

August 31, 2020 at 7:46 pm

Dr. Hugo López-Gatell Ramírez, Undersecretary for Prevention and Health Promotion, reported that more than 35 million influenza vaccines will be given for the season from October 2020 to April 2021, when the number of cases increases.

López-Gatell indicated that the vaccine began to arrive in the country, starting in August with 4 million 431 thousand 460 doses. New shipments are expected for September: 7 million, 371 thousand 360; October, 14 million 620 thousand and November, 8 million 772 thousand applications.

Due to the Covid-19 epidemic , he added, there were delays of between a month and a half to two; however, in Mexico there will be 35 million 359 thousand 172 doses; the previous period 31 million 942 thousand 649 were given.

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Guiness said:

Where do we go to obtain the shot?

First they have to be available, then it will likely be posted that they are here.  LCS is looking at partial opening in late September so maybe they will have a health day when they get the vaccine which is looking like October or perhaps November.

Just now, Floradude said:

Yes, the LCS will have it on Health Day whenever everything comes together.

You should also be able to get the shot at your doctors office when he gets his supply.

Or simply go to the health clinic and get one free. The only question you will be asked is if you are there for the vaccination. Those challenged by Spanish can take a note with them.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, oregontochapala said:

Before you make that your option,  I  went 4- times last year only to wait for over an hour each time in a waiting room full of toddlers and sick people. I was never even remotely close to the top of the list any of the 4- times I gave up and left. I never had a flu shot because of this ineptitude on the part of the clinic.

Free sounds good,  but by the time they get the vaccines it's often too late to get one from your physician or at LCS. And, the pandemic makes waiting foolish.

Where did you go?