Chapala.com Webboard

Tomahawk Steak

liquipure

Kyle, that sounds wonderful.  Do you recall the price/kilo for the imported and local options?

Thanks,

Val  :)

I bought a 40 day aged Mexican[Sonora?] rib eye from them and it was perfection. they also have lamb cuts including rack. The tomahawk looked well marbled and they also have imported various steak cuts. Nice young couple just east of Telmex office,Ajijic. Los 3 Butchery and they are on FB. My go to place from now on. this pic from their FB page

los 3 butchery tomahak steak.jpg

• Like 1

Can't wait to give this place a try.  Many thanks for the wonderful photo and information.

Salud!

Val  :)

I have tried to stay away from Mexican beef due to uncertainty of the use or lack thereof of some kind of bad supplement added to feed. That is why I have always bought my beef at Costco which has US Choice and Prime. They have prime tomahawks on the weekends but they aren't cheap.

1 hour ago, tomgates said:

I have tried to stay away from Mexican beef due to uncertainty of the use or lack thereof of some kind of bad supplement added to feed. That is why I have always bought my beef at Costco which has US Choice and Prime. They have prime tomahawks on the weekends but they aren't cheap.

US cattle breeders propaganda . Costco only has choice now and I said that  Los 3 Butchery handles both US and Mexican beef prime and choice. I don't need no Costco when I have the goods 15 minutes away from mi casa. Trying the rack of lamb tonight BBQ'd over Mesquite carbon that I bought there too.

los 3 butchery store.png

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Upfront said:

pretty sure the popularity of tomahwak steaks are also a us cattle breeder bit of propoganda. its just a french cut like rack of lamb. looks pretty and yu are paying for that extra foot of bone dont kid youself

I have noted that it's the latest gastronomic fad with my Mexican friends of means.

• Haha 1

When we first moved to lakeside in 2002 we bought most of our beef at the Municipal market in Joco. Beef was beef...all cuts were the same price even filet but there was one catch...you had to preorder and you had to buy the whole filet.  Oh darn!!

On ‎8‎/‎29‎/‎2020 at 12:16 AM, Upfront said:

there are no boneless tomahawks. unless you think i should have said tbone or rib steak, because a tomawhak is alwaysa rib and they are alos about7 or 800p per kilo

That´s up to 40.00 USD per kilo, can´t wait for you to tell me where you get that kind of a price. LOL

Does it come with a bottle of wine?

• Haha 2

As I mentioned the ribeye was fantastic. I prefer frozen steak because it's easier to BBQ them blue rare. The rack of lamb was disappointing and not spring. I think that lamb around here is grown to or near yearling so that as well as meat they can get $'s for wool too. Soriana does sell the real deal rack and so does Pancho but his costs 3 times more than Soriana.

16 minutes ago, sm1mex said:

Where is the meat market east of TelMex?  I can't recall seeing one.  There is an abandoned nursery, a little strip of stores and then Z Gas.  Where is the meat market in that area?

It's very small about 2-3 stores east of Telmex and beside a health food store. I angle parked right in front of it but there is only 2 spots for that.

los 3 butchery logo.jpg

On 8/30/2020 at 7:02 AM, tomgates said:

I believe the actual facts are that it is just the opposite. US beef is still banned in many European countries because of hormone enhancement drugs. Sort of like athletes getting caught for doping.  Much of the cattle for the US originates from Mexico. These are calves, mostly bulls, purchased by the US feedlots for fattening. They are in crowded conditions and often need antibiotics and hormones.

Does Tony sell dry aged beef? That is what is really popular these days. Haven't tried a dry aged dinosaur rib cut for some time this involves keeping the big to medium bones really meaty, then tying them back with twine on the prime rib roast for aging. The best BBQ is the dinosaur bones. The next part of the roast which makes up the tomohawk part of the prime. The rest has a lot less flavor, even with dry aging. Best to go back to the butcher and get them to cut up the remaining into very thin slices. This is a difficult skill unless you do this all the time. Mexican butchers do have this skill. Use these thin slices in Asian dishes, such as stirfries, and tabletop boiling soups, where the beef is quickly swished around with diners using chopsticks. At the end, dry or fresh noodles added to end the meal. Well, unless there is cheesecake, which always seems to be there, ask my butt!

Getting ready ready for tomorrow to slaughter a tofu, for Map Tofu, Anthony Bourdain's favorite dish. Hope mi vecinos won't mind the screaming Tofu😕 edit sorry for the stupid paste, this Silk browser really sucks, the next time I meet Jeff, I will tell him.

• Sad 1

The number one exporter of beef to USA is Canada followed by Australia and than Mexico.  This year 33 million cattle have been slaughtered in the USA  of which 745,000 came from Mexico.  Actually Mexico exports more meat to the USA than it does live cattle.  Many feedlots have been established along the border and likewise meat processing plants.  Each year around 550 million pounds of meat is exported to the USA and the USA exports about the same amount back to Mexico.  Some of the better cuts of meat in USA come from Mexican processing plants.  If you are talking about a standard tomahawk steak there is going to be little difference from a Mexican one versus a USA one.  Now if you talk about an angus one the USA one should be better.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, rafterbr said:

The number one exporter of beef to USA is Canada followed by Australia and than Mexico.  This year 33 million cattle have been slaughtered in the USA  of which 745,000 came from Mexico.  Actually Mexico exports more meat to the USA than it does live cattle.  Many feedlots have been established along the border and likewise meat processing plants.  Each year around 550 million pounds of meat is exported to the USA and the USA exports about the same amount back to Mexico.  Some of the better cuts of meat in USA come from Mexican processing plants.  If you are talking about a standard tomahawk steak there is going to be little difference from a Mexican one versus a USA one.  Now if you talk about an angus one the USA one should be better.

Thanks for bringing this back on topic with REAL facts. As I mentioned we bought Mexican rib eye from Los 3 Butchery and they said it was dry aged for 40 days. It was fantastic in all respects and you could cut it with a fork The other give away to the truth of it was the smaller size and darker colour. Doing stir fry with something like this would be like turning a Rolls-Royce into a go cart for the price of the R-R. The tomahawks looked to be wet aged judging by their colour. I will try their dry aged Angus[imported?] next.

edit: dry aging is not a new phenomenon by any stretch of the imagination. Perhaps it is to those that rely on google only, for all their information.