Chapala.com Webboard

Grabber

A friend is having cataract surgery on both eyes in the near future and will be in need of one of those grabbers. Before she goes to the medical supply store to buy one she thought perhaps someone would be willing to loan her one. So I am posting this for her. Please reply to me here if you have one she may borrow.  Thank you.

1 hour ago, happyjillin said:

First of all what is a grabber? Secondly no Ophthalmologist does both eyes at once anymore,that's the new protocol world wide for safety. That's how Doctora Claudia did my wife and I and 3 other friends.

None of us were in need of grabbers or any other type of cane. Your friend will be able to see the same day after each surgery. Why waste money even to rent one?

grabber cane.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Upfront said:

would be so nice if you would just tell them your experience instead of trying to shame them at the same time

Nothing I said could be misconscrewed as shaming except by you, Upf. I gave advice based on the experience of 5 people,thereby also suggesting that it's not necessary to spend money on something they won't need.

I interpret the OP as wanting one of these contraptions.  Years ago when an elderly relative had eye surgery he was told to keep his head up, not bend down to pick something up.  

https://www.amazon.com.mx/Unger-978490-Grabber-32/dp/B01G5WNM0G/ref=sr_1_2?__mk_es_MX=ÅMÅŽÕÑ&dchild=1&keywords=grabber&qid=1598545753&sr=8-2

I buy the ones we iy it. They are really on Amazon.com.mx, they are cheap get here quickly. Do not grab anything heavy as a larde towel or you will destroy it, they are to grab light objects. My husband uses his all the time so , sorry he would not lend it as he ises it all the time. I have never seen them for rent here but I may be wrong..

31 minutes ago, ibarra said:

We don't know anything about the person having surgery except that they may "need one" after surgery.   Not all people react the same after this kind of surgery, not all people may have another issue that requires them to need a grabber after surgery. 

That other issue would not be effected by the cataract surgery which makes it a whole different matter then-eh! I forgot to mention that Dr. Claudia inserts a medicated contact lens. which she removes the next day in her office in Chapala. One can move ones head up and down and sideways as long as you don't do it rapidly or don't move your body rapidly for that matter. My friend and I went to McD's right after leaving the surgery clinic.

• Confused 1

Buy one on Mercado Libre México:  https://listado.mercadolibre.com.mx/baston-para-agarrar-objetos#D[A:baston para agarrar objetos]  

Yesterday I purchased an item late in the afternoon.  It arrived at around noon today.  Free shipping.  Mercado Libre is great.

• Like 1

On 8/27/2020 at 10:20 AM, happyjillin said:

None of us were in need of grabbers or any other type of cane. Your friend will be able to see the same day after each surgery. Why waste money even to rent one?

grabber cane.jpg

Because one is not supposed to bend and she has animals to feed. No, she is not having both done the same day, first one and then the other two days later. As she lives alone she has to all for herself. Two people who recently had the operation used this and recommended it to her. I never wrote anything about renting this, asking if anyone had one to loan her so she wouldn't have the additional expense of buying one. But what can I say everyone is a critic and not helpful at all. I do not know why I bother posting anything on this anymore.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/27/2020 at 11:31 AM, Bisbee Gal said:

I interpret the OP as wanting one of these contraptions.  Years ago when an elderly relative had eye surgery he was told to keep his head up, not bend down to pick something up.  

https://www.amazon.com.mx/Unger-978490-Grabber-32/dp/B01G5WNM0G/ref=sr_1_2?__mk_es_MX=ÅMÅŽÕÑ&dchild=1&keywords=grabber&qid=1598545753&sr=8-2

Apparently the same advice is still being given at Dr Claudia's office.

On 8/27/2020 at 11:31 AM, Bisbee Gal said:

• Confused 1

37 minutes ago, mkshawn said:

AKA: EyeBall Pressure

Actual term: "intraocular pressure" and modern micro surgery produces a secure wound and as an extra protective and healing process Doctora Claudia has you wear a medicated contact lens for 24 hrs.  Just don't even think about doing anything rapidly for at least 2 weeks. Fortunately modern cataract surgery has come a long way and is relatively non intrusive.