Chapala.com Webboard

Looking for Citrus trees

There is a man that sells lots of different citrus off the carretera on the left handside in west Ajijic going west from Ajijic. I bought a yellow lemon there called limon americano.and they had lots of differents oranges and lemons..and limes a large one with fruit on it was areound 1000 pesos

Be careful with citrus. There is a serious bacterial disease called greening, spread by a fly, and to nearly everywhere You may have to grow in two stages. First stage, quarantined from others. Then, with proven good health, you can further replant it into your garden. If your trees show signs of greening, they must be destroyed immediately and preferably burnt. There is no spray or remedy yet.

I tried to buy a finger lime tree from Luc in Puerto Vallarta a year or two ago, but he couldn't ship because a Jalisco ban.

The Meyers Lemon is actually 1/2 orange, that is why they are so juicy and not as sour as normal lemons.

The largest nursery in Mexico is in Vera Cruz, and they offer a lot of the rare, but expensive, exotic fruits and ornamental trees. They ship reliably by DHL, or you can visit them.

2 hours ago, ajijicbound said:

I bought a California lemon tree from Vivero Azucena behind Clinca Ajijic. Very pleased. Nice big lemons after 3 years.

WabiSabi Vivero on V. Carranza may be able to get you a Meyer Lemon.

We purchased a Meyer lemon tree from them 10 years ago and have been enjoying the lemons ever since then.

15 hours ago, CHILLIN said:

Sorry, I forgot this link.

Finger limes are normal limes in finger size but the fruit looks like round fish eggs, but are a lime burst, many colores.

https://thegreensshop.com/tienda/en/search?controller=search&s=citrus

Thanks. I've made three attempts to contact this company through their website without success. I don't speak Spanish well enough to phone them.

2 hours ago, conejorapido said:

Can't find WabiSabi on google maps. Can you give an idea where it is. Thanks.

Go up the hill on Javier Mina (clinica ajijic and multiva are the landmarks). Drive 2 blocks and turn left of V. Carranza. They are on the left, #7, across from a carport painted with tortugas.

Just had a lima tree delivered this morning. We looked at 5 places before settling on David, in West Ajijic, on the south side of the carreterra. He had by far the largest selection of citrus. he also had the best prices for larger, mature trees. And he was willing to deliver at no charge. Highly recommended.

7 hours ago, oregontochapala said:

It doesn't look like a nursery. Headed west, you'll see a bunch of trees for sale alongside the road. There's a tope in front of it, so you should be driving slow enough that you don't miss it.

When they redid the road the tope went away. Lake City Craft Burger is close by as is the Ajijic Recycling Center (both on the mtn side); on google maps it's call Plantas Don Efrain

Over the years I have seen many nurseries come and go. People seem to think they can open one without any knowledge and a small investment and make money. Good luck with that fly by night place beside the carretera in west Ajijic by where the topes were by the recycling center.. He is just squatting there. It is difficult to get an established nursery to stand by their product let alone that guy. 

1 hour ago, Upfront said:

fly by night? has been there forever. i bought his trees. nothing wrong with him. knows his stuff.

He has only had his plants there a few years-he lives elsewhere. I have been told he is hard to catch up with if you have a problem with a plant he sold you.

16 hours ago, Upfront said:

obviously he does not LIVE there. but what has that got to do with anything. He has been there for many years.  bought my first from him over 8 years ago and he had been around for a while then. i have always fouind him very good to get along with. but 'you have been told'

If you have a problem with a plant you bought from this guy there where do you find him as he is usually not where the plants are. Most nurseries owners live nearby their plants to make sure they are not stolen. Instead this guy puts a sign up to the effect don't touch my plant-I have sprayed them with poison.  If you have a problem with a plant you bought from this guy there where do you find him as he is usually not where the plants are.

That is what it has to do where he lives. People that have bought plants from him and have a problem with the plants have told me they can't catch up with him. Is 8 years many years for you? Some of the established nurseries have been around for 20 years. How often have you found him there?

3 hours ago, Upfront said:

your definition of time means nothing to me or anyone else in this regard. and he has been there every time. but he does not sit in the middle of the trees. he works down below. stop talking about things of which you know knothing.

I think the reverse could be true. I went past there twice to day and he was no where to be seen. The property down below  and where the plants are  do not belong to him. 

I've bought several fruit trees there and have been very happy.  I also pass by his place on horseback several times a week.  He's always there when I go past in the morning AND when I come back by after lunch.  Never fails to ask if "todo bien' with me.

5 hours ago, Upfront said:

again you leave me baffled. so you did not see him. so what. so the land below does not belong to him. first how do you know and second, again, that is irrelevant.

Time for you to get unbaffled.