Chapala.com Webboard

2020 Voters' Ballots

JKL

22 minutes ago, slainte39 said:

You have your own fax machine?

No.  I use a free fax internet service (many give you x pages a day free).  My ballot arrives via email from my former election official's office.  I print it, fill it in, scan it then fax it.  I make contact with my former local election office before I return my ballot to confirm fax number, that they are open, etc.  After I fax it they send me an email confirming receipt and acceptance of my faxed ballot.  

50 minutes ago, Bisbee Gal said:

No.  I use a free fax internet service (many give you x pages a day free).  My ballot arrives via email from my former election official's office.  I print it, fill it in, scan it then fax it.  I make contact with my former local election office before I return my ballot to confirm fax number, that they are open, etc.  After I fax it they send me an email confirming receipt and acceptance of my faxed ballot.  

Thank you

3 minutes ago, JKL said:

I'll check into a fax.  I've already checked to see if Texas would accept an e-mail attachment and Texas does NOT.  But I'll assure you that one way or another we will find a way to get our ballots counted!!!

From TX government site, https://www.votetexas.gov/military-overseas-voters/

C. Casting and Counting

How do you return the ballot to the Early Voting Clerk?

• Hard copy by mail, or common or contract courier (like any other ballot by mail)
  • IF from military voter (or spouse or dependent) in hostile fire pay / imminent danger pay / combat zone, may be faxed using authorized channels.
  • Marked ballots may not be e-mailed under Texas law, regardless of voter’s status.

When is the deadline for returning the ballot?

• Regular deadline: receipt by 7:00 p.m. Election Day
  • Deadline for voters voting from overseas location: receipt by 5th day after Election Day
  • Deadline for members of the armed forces of the United States, or the spouse or a dependent of a member of the armed forces, members of the merchant marines of the United States, or the spouse or a dependent of a member of the merchant marine: receipt by 6th day after Election Day.

35 minutes ago, CalGal said:

Thanks Bisbee Gal, but I vote from California.  Am still waiting for my ballot, but as I remember, it took awhile for them to send it last time

I was responding to JKL, who mentioned TX.

As far as when you might expect your ballot, I found some general info (see below).  My voting state is required to send ballots to Overseas Voters by Sept. 19th.  Mine will come via email (I can snail mail or FAX it back). 

Everyone should check with their voting state NOW to make sure you are properly registered and when/how you will get the ballot and when/how you should return it.  Be sure to follow their directions PRECISELY; your ballot can be rejected if you don't cross all the t's and dot all the i's. 

This recent article is about ballots being discarded in FL.  Similar thing happened to us in 2018 in FL, but at that time I was a Voter by Mail, not an Overseas Voter and I had to return the ballot via snail mail.  

https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/florida-discard-mail-ballot/2020/08/21/bbedee18-e2ee-11ea-b69b-64f7b0477ed4_story.html

https://www.businessinsider.com/when-will-i-get-november-absentee-mail-ballot-state-guide-2020-8?r=MX&IR=T

North Carolina will be the first state to start sending out ballots to voters on September 4, 2020, 60 days before the election.

Most other states begin sending out ballots three to six weeks out. 

There's no guarantee that you'll get your ballot or that it'll be returned back to your election office by any specific date, or within a specific time. 

• Thanks 2

Bisbee Gal is right on. For example, using one of the mail drops like HandyMail is not advised. The mailed ballot needs to be postmarked from the country where you reside. Mail drops send and postmark the mail from Texas so it can be rejected if the election official decides to do so. You need to send the ballot by FedEx, UPS or DHL.

In the past, DemsAbroad collected the ballots at LCS and the Consulate sent them by diplomatic pouch. I haven't heard if they are doing the this year.

Wanted to correct my statement about Texas not accepting votes by e-mail.  I found that they DO accept e-mail votes or votes by fax.  At least in Nueces County where we last resided.  I'm sure each state is different, perhaps each county within a state.  But this will make it so much easier for us!

It seems each county in Texas has different rules for absentee balloting.  We never have renewed in January, however we are still able to vote absentee.   In our county, we request the ballot by email and the ballot is returned via email.  Then we print and mail the ballot back to the county.  We cannot submit the ballot via email.

In Marcicopa County, AZ, when we registered as Absentee Voters, we were instructed that this status would be valid for 4 years starting in January of the year we first registered.   We receive our ballots by email approximately 60 days prior to the election.  We mail them back and then check on the AZ website to make sure it was received.

• Thanks 1