Chapala.com Webboard

Seeking advise about an older dog with nervous habits such as incessant scratching, licking and biting self.

Minnie is an older rescue dog, maybe 10 years old, I have had her for 8 and always a little nervous but lately much worse. Know it is not fleas since have given her meds for that. I see on TV ads for Apoquel and want feedback on that and where to buy it. She also has a arthritic problem with her rear legs and is on daily Carprotec, anti-inflation meds I get from Dr. Pepe. Do not want to get her on another drug that will maybe be in conflict with the other. Any advise on this will be greatly appreciated. One other older rescue dog, El Duke (recovered from car collision) is doing well on Carprotec, and my third, Chiquita Banana Is doing just great, requiring no meds. Muchas gracias for any feedback. 

It's possible the dog could have an allergic reaction to the medication he is being given. Could also try changing the food you are feeding. Some dogs lick and chew at themselves out of boredom. If you aren't giving the dog much exercise, you could try taking him out more and see if that helps. If he's old and arthritic, he's not going to be able to be exercised a lot, but just a change of scene a few times a day may help. 

You say you gave the dog meds for fleas. I gave my dog Comfortis for fleas and she broke out in ulcerating sores all over her legs within 12 hours- it took a month for them to go away. Not all dogs can handle those systemic insecticides.

For arthritis, I have heard good things about CBD oil. Look for a older post by Ferret for details and links. I have never heard of Apoquel.

Mudgirl is right about food allergies. Many dogs are allergic to chicken, wheat or corn. Maybe try a lamb & rice or salmon & rice food and see if it helps.

For fleas and ticks, I use Advantex drops. Years ago I was told by a Vet that it worked best for bugs around here.

13 hours ago, gringohombre said:

I see on TV ads for Apoquel and want feedback on that and where to buy it. She also has a arthritic problem with her rear legs and is on daily Carprotec, anti-inflation meds I get from Dr. Pepe. Do not want to get her on another drug that will maybe be in conflict with the other.

And if you truly care about this old girl, are you saying you'd rather play sofa self-diagnosis based on a TV ad, or get other non-professional, albeit well-meaning opinions on this board than take her for a proper diagnosis from a veterinarian?  Just wonderin'  🤔

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, oregontochapala said:

Both humans in our house are suffering from seasonal allergies and so are our three small dogs. We sneeze and have red eyes and they scratch and chew.

Good news that the humans are not scratching and chewing. Yet.

• Sad 1