Chapala.com Webboard

RULES ON CHECKS -"NEW"

Searched for earlier posts on this, no luck.  Back in May 2020, a Guad Reporter article stated new rules for paying bills with checks here, and the need to "liberate" your checks to make them cashable.  "...all checks from banks must be "protected" by registering the ck no., amt & beneficiary by using the online banking tools..."   And "now it is compulsory", per the article.  But apparently many folks were having problems, and "all of Mexico is calling their banks to find out how..."  Anybody have any clarification?  Hoping I can still simply write a Bancomer check to pay my rent each month and give it to my landlady as always, or has something really changed??  TIA.

You can always skip the paper and make a direct deposit from your Bancomer account to your landlord's account using the BBVA app on a phone or PC. Paypal Mexico also provides the means to transfer money between bank accounts with no charge.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, John Shrall said:

You can always skip the paper and make a direct deposit from your Bancomer account to your landlord's account using the BBVA app on a phone or PC. Paypal Mexico also provides the means to transfer money between bank accounts with no charge.

Second the motion for Bancomer for bank transfers--not that this answers the OP's question, but it might simplify the OP's situation.  Using Bancomer's cell phone app makes setting up a transfer as easy as it can be: you need their account number, OR their bank card number OR their CLABE OR their cell phone number so the bank knows where you want to transfer the money.  There are a couple of other questions to answer--nothing invasive and nothing you need to ask the transferee to provide--and boom, you've set up the account to transfer to.  Once you've set it up, you use the same account info every time you make a transfer--it's saved in your bank data and you just make a new transfer without setting anything up.  It takes me literally 1 minute to make my rent payment using my Bancomer account and my landlord's Afirme account.  Highly highly highly recommend.

Another free means to make payments for those having a Bancomer account to someone who has no bank account is their Retire Sin Tarjeta program. On the phone app or through the portal on a PC you can create a withdrawal for a specific amount. You receive a 12 digit clabe and 4 digit pin which can be passed to the recipient. With that information the person can go to a BBVA ATM and press the retire sin tarjeta button on the main screen, enter the numbers and receive the amount you authorized. No card needed.

• Like 2

You can also pay to a persons email address if you set it up with the person receiving the money. It does not sound like it is worth it to go the check route as there are many other ways to do it as mentioned above.

https://transferwise.com/help/11/getting-started/2932105/can-i-send-money-to-someone-with-only-their-email-address

Thanx to everyone for the replies and info.  This doesn't tell me about the check approval or "liberating" procedure, but sounds like there are other options.  I'll need to familiarize myself with the BBVA app, altho I hope I can acces it from my iPad.  Or maybe Paypal Mexico is a viable option as well.  The Retire Sin Tarjeta sounds good except it would require my landlady to be at a Bancomer ATM.  🎴

15 hours ago, Carolina said:

Thanx to everyone for the replies and info.  This doesn't tell me about the check approval or "liberating" procedure, but sounds like there are other options.  I'll need to familiarize myself with the BBVA app, altho I hope I can acces it from my iPad.  Or maybe Paypal Mexico is a viable option as well.  The Retire Sin Tarjeta sounds good except it would require my landlady to be at a Bancomer ATM.  🎴

Checks has never been widely used in Mexico. There is no point in using the "liberating checks" route. People have traditionally used bank to bank transfer but that and Paypal are fading. If the person who is to receive the money has an email address that is probably the easiest and cheapest way to pay them.

Cash is king here.