Chapala.com Webboard

Experience with Handy man Marcos

Zeb

Someone on this Board recommended the handy man Marcos, so I hired him to do various tasks.  I want to provide my experience with him.

He arrived shortly after 9 am. About thirty minutes after his arrival, he said he was going to stop for Breakfast.  His first task was to complete an overhang over my front door.  The metal frame was in place, however, it needed some finishing, holes patched, metal painted and tiles installed.  About two hours later, after he had installed about 30% of the tile, he said the metal frame was too weak for the weight of the tile, so all that time was wasted and he would have to start over once he returned with his welder (on a different day).  I have had someone else come and look at it, who said frame is plenty strong, however, tile needed to be sealed before installing and the frame itself is crooked and not flush against the wall, so it all is needs removing and to be redone.He showed me the problems and I could see exactly that he was correct.

I asked Marcos to solve a problem with the toilet which had a leak which I thought was from the base of the toilet.  He looked it over, pulled out the toilet installed a new seal and cemented all around it. 

Couple of hours later, he said he was stopping for lunch. 

After he left I went to use it, didn't flush, so turned on the water, which then splashed everywhere as he had not installed the connection to the toilet and it was an open hole.  I installed it myself.  Hours later, water all over the floor.  Leak not solved and concrete that he used around the seal was crumbling on the floor.  Second maintenance man had over today, immediately showed me the source of the leak and incorrect tape was also used around the connection.  Simple repair which will be remedied in a few minutes.   Marcos, who supposedly was experienced, should have seen what the problem really was and checked that all was functioning before telling me he was done.  The seal did not need replacing as it was not leaking from there to begin with.

There were numerous other small things I asked him to do, which handled in the same manner.  He told me he was done for the day at 4 p.m.  I told him we had agreed to a wage for an entire day, and I consider a day's work 8 hours, so he said he would stay one more hour, and after 45 minutes, he said he was leaving.

He doesn't check his work to see if problems for which he is hired are actually remedied.  I won't have him back. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

• 1 month later...

I am adding additional comments to my previous post.  After I hired another handyman ( a much more competent one this time), I learned that  that the  materials to build my fence, which Marcos ordered and had me pay for which were delivered, were not the height I asked for, an insufficient amount of meters and hardware to get the job done.