Chapala.com Webboard

Changes Since 2009?

Chaz

My parents retired to Ajijic and lived there until 2009 (well, that's when my father passed; my mother passed earlier than that).  I visited them a few times a year during that time (1989 through 2009) and always thought, even with its warts and all, that I wanted to spend my golden years Lakeside as well.  I will be retiring hopefully within the next few years and am starting my due diligence.

Can anyone provide information on how things have changed since then, for better or for worse?  I am interested in the whole gamut of possible changes, such as traffic, crime level, amenities, restaurants, medical care, etc.  Has the demographics of the gringos there changed?  I'd be interested in getting the thoughts of any long-time residents.  Thanks!

i and may wife  retired here in 2008 .  something happens all time that just make it better and better to live here

Every year i am surprised how wonderful it is here. and say to myself i didn't think it would get better then this.

new roads paved, new bicycle path, great kayaking on the lake

old friends,  new friends are the glue that holds it all together.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I think you almost have to come visit to get an overall view of the changes since your last visit.  We arrived here in 2008.  Much, much more development and traffic than at that time.  Shopping, finding stuff much improved.  Better medical facilities.  Scads of restaurants.  Much improved movie theaters.  It is definitely different.

We arrived in 1998 and I can tell you Mainecoons is right. Almost NOTHING is the same! Of course, a lot depends on your personal needs, wants, preferences, etc.  But you really have to spend some time here, and more than once, to see how today fits with your memories of that many years ago, and your present expectations.

I think that the biggest shock is the amount of vehicles on the road since 2009 and it's surely not just Gringos. Traffic is a nightmare in 'the season' and on any weekend due to visits from Tapatíos (Guadalajarians) since there is only one reasonable way to get from east to west. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, RickS said:

I think that the biggest shock is the amount of vehicles on the road since 2009 and it's surely not just Gringos. Traffic is a nightmare in 'the season' and on any weekend due to visits from Tapatíos (Guadalajarians) since there is only one reasonable way to get from east to west. 

There has been a massive increase in the number of cars in Jalisco.  That is what you are seeing.  Has little to do with the expat population.  Look at the license plates.

• Like 1

The availability of financing of used cars some time ago fueled much of the increase in vehicles. Previously, it was cash or use the bus. It was great to see more "average" Mexicans be able to afford cars but the infrastructure was never meant to handle them, thus the congestion.

• Like 2