Chapala.com Webboard

ATM options at this point in time

It is getting more and more difficult to find the CI Banco ATM operating and with money in it.  It used to be that Tu, Wed, Th were pretty good probability but that seems to have gone by the wayside.  Went by there at 10AM, not working, noon, not working.

Understanding that other ATMs will charge more, what are the most reliable options at this point?  Bancomer?  Banamex? Scotia?  Other?  Possible to use a U.S. Debit card at Intercam and get peso cash at a decent rate?

Looking to find out how others are managing this problem with CI Banco.

Gracias!

3 minutes ago, Bisbee Gal said:

Open a Charles Schwab checking account.  NO ATM fees worldwide.  The local ATM's will take their fee and Schwab will refund automatically at end of month.  Always a good exchange rate. 

Until they find that you live in Mexico and cancel your account. Yes, they did me that way.

I use Bancomer Ajijic ATM often.  Other times Multiva and Intercam.  I can get 10K at a time at all of them; at the later two I can hit it again and again and again.  Bancomer cuts me off after 10K at one time.  I don't pay fees, so never pay attention to the costs. 

Normally one of the 2 Multiva ATMs across the street from Actinver have money and are functional. I don't know the current surcharge amount. CI Banco has always had hit and miss streaks. It worked great in late March and April when Covid broke out but appears to back to its normal out of service/money mode.

It seems like all bank's ATM surcharges have been rising. Easy money and can get to be costly for those who don't have an account that reimburses them and even worse when the withdrawal amount is limited forcing you to eat multiple surcharges.

I finally gave up chasing for the cheapest surcharge and just wire larger amounts to an account in Multiva due to favorable exchange rates and minimal incoming wire fee. No outgoing wire fee from Ameritrade. I then move money by phone to BBVA and use either their ATMs or a cash withdrawal at the branch. If that doesn't work I withdraw cash at the Multiva branch.

3 minutes ago, John Shrall said:

Normally one of the 2 Multiva ATMs across the street from Actinver have money and are functional. I don't know the current surcharge amount. CI Banco has always had hit and miss streaks. It worked great in late March and April when Covid broke out but appears to back to its normal out of service/money mode.

It seems like all bank's ATM surcharges have been rising. Easy money and can get to be costly for those who don't have an account that reimburses them and even worse when the withdrawal amount is limited forcing you to eat multiple surcharges.

I finally gave up chasing for the cheapest surcharge and just wire larger amounts to an account in Multiva due to favorable exchange rates and minimal incoming wire fee. No outgoing wire fee from Ameritrade. I then move money by phone to BBVA and use either their ATMs or a cash withdrawal at the branch. If that doesn't work I withdraw cash at the Multiva branch.

Are you withdrawing from a MultiVa account?  I want to use a U.S. debit card.  I think my Actinver debit card will give me access to that machine but once in I want to use my Capital One Debit card.  Is that possible?

12 minutes ago, Bisbee Gal said:

Sorry that happened to you.  Sadly a risk with any US bank.

USAA doesn't care where you live and gladly sends their cards via a courier. They know better than to use the mail to places such as ours.

• Thanks 1

Just now, AngusMactavish said:

USAA doesn't care where you live and gladly sends their cards via a courier. They know better than to use the mail to places such as ours.

I tried, but not eligible for USAA.  Have 2 credit union accounts and neither cares where we live, but I don't like their ATM fees.  

16 minutes ago, AlanMexicali said:

BanBajio. $18.00 pesos fee. $10,000 peso limit per day not per 24 hours. Only out of money on paydays sometimes. No lines ever. Not that many ATMs around. Never made a mistake in 10 years. Spanish and English screen.

Where is that one?

Thanks everyone for the great help here!

3 hours ago, Bisbee Gal said:

Open a Charles Schwab checking account.  NO ATM fees worldwide.  The local ATM's will take their fee and Schwab will refund automatically at end of month.  Always a good exchange rate. 

If I was an American I would probably do that. I only hear good things about Schwab and ATMs here.

• Like 1

Santander in Chapala, just before the the main intersection as you approach the light on Hidalgo (the carretera) coming in from Ajijic, San Antonio, etc, has zero fees on Capital One debit cards, and a daily limit of 9600 pesos per card. You do need to decline their ‘suggested’ exchange to get the higher rate. 
For many the parking will be a negative consideration. I personally have no problem walking two, three blocks or more. And depending on the day and time of day there can be a lineup (frankly no different from CiBanco now that I think about it). I prefer to go late afternoons, 4 or later, when parking is easier and the line usually short. It is a 24/7 ATM. Occasionally, very seldom, the two machines will be out of service. Nothing like the CiBanco breakdowns. As with all Lakeside ATM’s I try to avoid going on a weekend when the ‘out of towners’ are here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This may have caused issues at CI Banco. 

https://www.eluniversal.com.mx/cartera/roban-informacion-de-clientes-de-cibanco-en-ataque-cibernetico

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=es&tl=en&u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.eluniversal.com.mx%2Fcartera%2Froban-informacion-de-clientes-de-cibanco-en-ataque-cibernetico

From the English translation, 

08/13/2020 15:37  Antonio Hernandez  Updated  15:51

The US cybersecurity firm Cyble reported a ransomware attack on CiBanco in Mexico, which would have occurred last week and led to the theft of information from its clients' databases, as well as reports from the Credit Bureau .

The attack carried out from REvil Ransomware shows that the perpetrators managed to breach the bank and have begun to disclose information in exchange for the payment of a ransom.

According to Cyble , the ransomware operators have published the first part of the data leak, which seems quite small, but contains sensitive data related to the company.

Since last week, Cibanco clients reported problems accessing their accounts on social networks, before which, the financial firm said that it was experiencing problems with its access to digital platforms and that they are working to repair it.

• Like 1