Chapala.com Webboard

CI Banco ATM new question

The Dynamic currency conversion (DCC) or cardholder preferred currency (CPC) is a process whereby the amount of a Visa or MasterCard transaction is converted by a merchant or ATM to the currency of the payment card's country of issue at the point of sale. It is totally legal and, in some financial situations or currencies, it could be favorable. To us, here and now, it is not. It's been worldwide for years; in Mexico in several ATMS for the last two or more. In this financial market, it is best to decline the DCC rate. The button to do so is on the very bottom, on the opposite side of the ATM screen (left) from the buttons you push to make your typical cash withdrawal. Sometimes these are marked; at other times, they are not, so you have to know where to push to decline. FYI, the difference, right now, is significant.

• Thanks 1

I discovered something interesting.  We had always gone to CiBanco because of the low fee.  But one day we went and got 10,000 pesos.  My bank statement showed $475 U.S. taken out.  the next day i had to go back and get the same amount.  They were out of money so i went to Banorte in Chapala which has a 40 pesos fee.  I got 10,000 pesos but my bank only took out $450.  It was a difference of $25 US.  It was only the next day and the rate was the same.  I have since experimented with both ATM's and have found the same result.  So as a result I now go to Banorte.  Has anyone else seen this?  I know some banks charge "cross border fees and other fees" and some do not.

The conversion rate is not determined by  the bank unless you accept the bank's rate if asked.  The conversion rate is determined by the company that processes the transaction for your Visa or Mastercard. 

Look on your card and there might be a name of the networks your card uses. The ATM will have a network that matches (sometimes posted on the ATM) 

At the top of the "pyramid" are national networks Plus (Visa) and Cirrus (MasterCard). At the next level there are networks such as NYCE, Jeanie, Star (East and West), Mac, Quest, Pulse and others.

The ATM you use has no way of changing the network's rate unless they offer an option to use the dynamic rate and you accept it.

You could go to Banorte, HSBC, Bancomer, CI Banco or anywhere and it is the same rate on the same day. You can get a very good estimate before you go at the Visa or Mastercard websites

https://www.mastercard.us/en-us/personal/get-support/convert-currency.html

https://usa.visa.com/support/consumer/travel-support/exchange-rate-calculator.html/

• Like 3

On 8/12/2020 at 10:21 AM, tomgates said:

Is CI Banco still the cheapest fee, at a little above $18p?

No. I pay nothing at HSBC and some pay nothing at Intercam. Some who have a Schwab account get refunds on any fee they are charged at any bank.

swab

7 hours ago, Mostlylost said:

The conversion rate is not determined by  the bank unless you accept the bank's rate if asked.  The conversion rate is determined by the company that processes the transaction for your Visa or Mastercard. 

Look on your card and there might be a name of the networks your card uses. The ATM will have a network that matches (sometimes posted on the ATM) 

At the top of the "pyramid" are national networks Plus (Visa) and Cirrus (MasterCard). At the next level there are networks such as NYCE, Jeanie, Star (East and West), Mac, Quest, Pulse and others.

The ATM you use has no way of changing the network's rate unless they offer an option to use the dynamic rate and you accept it.

You could go to Banorte, HSBC, Bancomer, CI Banco or anywhere and it is the same rate on the same day. You can get a very good estimate before you go at the Visa or Mastercard websites

https://www.mastercard.us/en-us/personal/get-support/convert-currency.html

https://usa.visa.com/support/consumer/travel-support/exchange-rate-calculator.html/

Good to know.

On 8/12/2020 at 12:30 PM, Shag said:

I discovered something interesting.  We had always gone to CiBanco because of the low fee.  But one day we went and got 10,000 pesos.  My bank statement showed $475 U.S. taken out.  the next day i had to go back and get the same amount.  They were out of money so i went to Banorte in Chapala which has a 40 pesos fee.  I got 10,000 pesos but my bank only took out $450.  It was a difference of $25 US.  It was only the next day and the rate was the same.  I have since experimented with both ATM's and have found the same result.  So as a result I now go to Banorte.  Has anyone else seen this?  I know some banks charge "cross border fees and other fees" and some do not.

Looks like you accepted their rate. Don't do that.

11 minutes ago, artsnob said:

I have a question about Multiva ATM s can you take 10,000 pesos in one transaction or do you have to do two 5,000.  I have been using CI Banco and get 9,000 in one. But lately there machines were not working and I can walk to Multiva ...

Yeah, that is the problem I'm finding.  CI Banco ATM doesn't seem to be working much at all these days.

It is or at least was possible to withdraw $20,000 pesos from the ATMs at Multiva. However past performance is no guarantee of future results. On the other hand, BBVA always has a fairly low transaction limit. Even with a BBVA card the limit is $8,000 pesos. The Banamex ATM that used to be in the Farmacia Guadalajara always had a $10,000 peso transaction limit.

Cash transaction limits can fluctuate based on unknown internal rules. At times I think that when the cannisters get low on cash, the ATM starts reducing the transaction limit allowing more people to get cash before the machine is empty. 

The absolute limit is based on physical characteristics of the dispensing device. New bills are more compact than old ones. When the throat opens to dispense cash it can only load so many before the machine jams. $20,000 pesos is 40 bills which can be a pretty sizable stack when loaded with well worn bills. 

22 minutes ago, #HarryB said:

I've been a very satisfied Multiva customer for many years. They recently went from 5000 to 8000 pesos per day from the ATM. If you are importing from a foreign bank/converting currency I have no idea if there is any difference.

All ATM cards have their own rules no matter where the authorizing bank is located. In the case of Multiva and BBVA, the $8,000 limit is daily, not transaction. If your US bank imposed a $500 per day limit you could only get about $11,000 pesos from an ATM even though it was capable of dispensing more on a single transaction

27 minutes ago, #HarryB said:

I've been a very satisfied Multiva customer for many years. They recently went from 5000 to 8000 pesos per day from the ATM. If you are importing from a foreign bank/converting currency I have no idea if there is any difference.

I regularly get $20,000 pesos from the Multiva ATMs. This makes the transaction fee negligible.

I find it's the cheapest/easiest way to move cash from my US account to my Intercam account. Get the cash at the Multiva ATM, the walk down the street and deposit it at Intercam.

20 hours ago, artsnob said:

I checked with the money delivery guy at Multiva and he told me you can only take one transaction a day fo 8,000 limit, and th girl inside confirmed that is correct what is the daily limit at Banamex ATM

Well all I can say is that I regularly get 20,000 from Multiva ATMs