Chapala.com Webboard

New Dog Shelter

On 9/6/2020 at 7:37 PM, sue said:

I do a last walk out after the news at 11 and it is quiet

I doubt the people who are posting here about being disturbed all night from the dog barking at this facility are making it up. Just because you love dogs and know the people who are running this place, doesn't mean it's okay to show such disrespect for others that you keep trying to negate their experience.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

From https://www.facebook.com/LagunaSemanario/

UPDATE ON THE UPROAR OVER THE DOG SHELTER IN WEST AJIJIC

HOMEOWNERS AND THE DEPARTMENT OF ECOLOGY HAVE IDENTIFIED OPTIONS FOR MOVING THE SHELTER, MONEY AND BUREAUCRATIC OBSTACLES REMAIN, BUT A COMPROMISE IS ON THE HORIZON

• septiembre 08, 2020
  • Editor
  • Ajijic

Patrick  O’Heffernan and Domingo Flores, Ajijic. After interviews with representatives of homeowners impacted by the government animal shelter established in west Ajijic and the Director of Ecology, José Jaime Ibáñez, Laguna has learned that possible alternative sites have been located, a financial agreement  has been floated, and the parties are working together – although in fits and starts – to  move the shelter and create a new one that better accommodates stray dogs.

The shelter was established on land donated to the municipalidad sometime ago for a cemetery, but was not usable for that purpose  so it remained on the books until the Department of Ecology, which supervises animal protection and control, decided to use it for a shelter for stray dogs and other animals in the area.  However, the 24-hour a day barking of the sheltered dogs has upset the residents of nearby developments of Puerta Arroyo, Sierra Viva, Los Abinos, Villas Colorado, and Los Alebrijes and La Canacinta.  

The residents of those developments – about 200 households, half of which are estimated to be Mexican by the HOA officers, submitted a petition to 7 government agencies to solve the noise problem and met with Jaime on July 28 to find solutions.   

Since that meeting, the frustrated HOAs have filed a complaint with the Human Rights Commission and scheduled a meeting with Mayor Moisés Anaya (which was canceled at the last minute), and met twice with Director Ibáñez. They have also located 4 possible sites for a relocated shelter, two off the Libramento, one near Santa Cruz la Soledad and one near the international university.  One of the sites is quite large, has access to water and can be rented for 5 – 10 years, a cost which might be shared between the government and the residents.

•  

Please contact me, we have been working on this issue for months and need all the support we can get.

The location of this shelter is completely illegal and an affront to all citizens who have lost their right to live peacefully.

Although the municipality says they wikl move the shelter and we have provided other suitable options they have done nothing.

We all love dogs but the placement of this shelter is wrong.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/10/2020 at 7:16 AM, Bisbee Gal said:

Do not be lulled into submission.  The mayor has no intention of doing anything.  He refuses to meet and the director of ecology does nothing.  We need to stand up for our rights together.  Please if you want change we need to act together to let the mayor know we are tax paying citizens who have rights.

• Thanks 1

On 9/9/2020 at 6:52 PM, mudgirl said:

I doubt the people who are posting here about being disturbed all night from the dog barking at this facility are making it up. Just because you love dogs and know the people who are running this place, doesn't mean it's okay to show such disrespect for others that you keep trying to negate their experience.

On 9/9/2020 at 8:52 PM, Ian Greenwood said:

Mudgirl.....I cant imagine why you would doubt anyone posting on this board.....really..?

If anyone doubts the noise I personally invite you to come to my house and listen.!!!

On 9/7/2020 at 7:06 AM, Kyle said:

The eventos in that area have permits and stop at midnight.

and people do complain 

The eventos does not have a permit.

The owner has an aunt who works for the town hall so the municipality has been told to turn a blind eye, get your facts right before you post something you know nothing about.

On 9/6/2020 at 7:37 PM, sue said:

Gwynne I think you missed something the dogs that are up at the front gate belong to the people who live right inside the gate I have fed and spade / neutered their dogs for them since I moved here The actual shelter cannot be seen from the front gate it is about a football field back from the gate  and well away from the back road. I do not know where the home that someone claims is less than 100 meters from the shelter is but I am sure they would not make that up. The dogs do bark when their pens are being cleaned and they are getting fed usually I hear them around 5 or 6 each day when I am doing my last yard clean up   I do a last walk out after the news at 11 and it is quiet unless someone is partying but then no one is complaining about the music.

On 9/5/2020 at 9:01 PM, gwynne said:

OK.....I took a ride over there yesterday to see what all the commotion was about.  That's a huge piece of property and for some reason they've put the dogs right up next to the front gate.  The back of the property is apparently still being used for green refuse disposal. Why not suggest to the city that they move the dogs to the back and buffer with the mountains of accumulated yard waste. The more stuff they dump in there, the quieter it will be. The green waste is not nearly as offensive as what they were dumping several years ago.  Very little odor and I only saw one rat.

Wow in a couple of minutes you only saw one rat.  How many rats have you seen at your house lately.  Contact me if you want the real information, you can not base your opinion on one little drive by.

12 hours ago, LindaF said:

Wow in a couple of minutes you only saw one rat.  How many rats have you seen at your house lately.  Contact me if you want the real information, you can not base your opinion on one little drive by.

1. With 6 dogs and 3 cats, I don't have rats at my house....even though I have a hay room, a feed room and a tack room....places rats tend to love.

2. One little drive by???  Dear girl, I wasn't driving AND I have been riding up that trail for over 10 years.  I've seen the many changes that area has gone through.  You are just the latest.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

It is 8 PM on Sunday.  The dogs have been barking incessantly for three hours, non-stop.  They barked most of the night, waking us at 2 AM, 3 AM, 5 AM and 7 AM.

The situation is out of control, as are the dogs. It is NOT just at feeding time, it is ALL THE TIME.

We can see the cages from our yard.  A dog shelter should NEVER have been approved in the middle of a heavily populated residential neighborhood. This travesty must end. A solution must be found, and the solution is to move the shelter to a non-residential location.

• Like 1

10 o’clock. The dogs were quiet for most of the last hour (thank heaven for small favors), but are amped up again now. 20 minutes non-stop so far.

Someone posted on this thread that they are loud only at feeding time. This is blatantly untrue. They bark at all hours, day and night, with seemingly no provocation.  Feeding time creates a frenzy that is worse than other times, but the noise occurs at any and all hours of the day and night.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...