Chapala.com Webboard

New Dog Shelter

In 2006 I downsized my Seattle residence to a very small condo unit half way up the building facing a large hospital across the street. I was in shock the first night I tried to sleep there to be awakened by very loud sirens as the Ambulances brought in patients. And they were and still are much louder than a barking dog. I was sure that I would have to move away. I tried ear plugs, you name it. Nothing worked. Some four months later, I learned how to ignore these sounds and now when I am up north, I don't even hear the sirens.

I truly hope that you (all) too, will be able to somehow be able to ignore these loud barking dogs and do as I do and get a great sleep. It can be done.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

34 minutes ago, johanson said:

I truly hope that you (all) too, will be able to somehow be able to ignore these loud barking dogs and do as I do and get a great sleep. It can be done.

You're offering the Mexican equivalent of, "Don't listen."

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, johanson said:

Sorry Peter.... you're wrong this time.  You are trying to compare apples with rutabagas.

• Thanks 1

Sorry,  I probably am wrong. I was just hoping that this barking noise is and or was a problem that one could eventually get used to. I too agree that the placement of this animal shelter was done with little to no thought of the future neighbors.

However I still hope that one is able to get at least partially used to this obnoxious noise until the problem is solved.

23 hours ago, #HarryB said:

the property was owned by the municipality and the Ecology Director isn't from here so as far as he was concerned it was on the outskirts.

That is the most stupid observation and excuses I have heard . The bottom line is the person(s) responsible for making that decision should be fired.

Maybe one of the longer term solutions is for City Hall to have a budget amount set aside for spade and neuter and work closely with one of the private groups who are currently doing this service

In the meantime get the person's ### from his desk and find a more suitable location

• Haha 1

For those of us who don't reside in your area lakeside, could one of you please give us a better idea of:

How close is the shelter to the residences 1/2 kilometer, 2 kilometers, 500 meters? 
In relation to the residences is it north, south, east west?
Which residential community/ies is/are being impinged upon?

1 hour ago, slainte39 said:

Which is closer, 1/2 kilometer or 500 meters?  :017:      :D

For those metrically challenged, which ever way the wind blows; I had it in standard initially (miles/yards), then changed it without thinking; oops; glad you all had a chuckle.

On 9/2/2020 at 5:57 PM, johanson said:

However I still hope that one is able to get at least partially used to this obnoxious noise until the problem is solved.

People told me I'd get used to the roosters. Nope, never. When I bought my property, I made sure there wasn't the possibility of the neighbors having any. They all hate them, so it hasn't been an issue. There's a rooster farm about a block and a half away, but there's a house in the way that blocks most of the sound, and they don't bother me if they're in the distance. But one nearby would make me feel murderous. And the sound cuts right through earplugs.

4 hours ago, #HarryB said:

Lakeside 7 Mayor Moy Anaya has a facebook page and the Environmental Director 's # is 33 17 13 49 00. Perhaps a fresh voice expressing these points would help?

GTW the distance from a condo development is the width of  a road?

My dear Harry I am bruised and bleeding from my encounters with past Chapala administration(s) ..yes they change, BUT things still (appear) to remain the same...different names same old s**t. Most of the time there is already a protocol in place for them and us to follow. 

Most foreign residents are not citizens and can't vote, so our efforts are just a nuisance. The fact that most of US pay significantly more taxes and on time than the locals seems not to count.... and we are still getting screwed.

Where are the morals and ethics of these people they all seem to forget them after they have been elected ..You do not have to be a brain surgeon to see what a mess this decision would cause

Like any other "normal/regular" organization the buck stops with the boss. 

• Sad 2

13 hours ago, #HarryB said:

If you want to be remembered by politicians, taxes are discounted through the end of february. The real fools are lining up to turn over their money ASAP January.

Guess I'm a "real fool" Harry but your suggestion is naive.

SunFan

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

After 20 years and working for the last 4 administrations ,two things impress politicians, money and embarrassment. If you want to get their attention you have to use one or both of these. The current administration, increasingly, is ignoring the expat community as it focuses on re election. More expats need citizenship so they can vote. To my knowledge, none of the most vocal commentators on this board and others have citizenship and can vote. If you want to be paid attention to, be able to vote and tell the politicos that you will vote!

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

OK.....I took a ride over there yesterday to see what all the commotion was about.  That's a huge piece of property and for some reason they've put the dogs right up next to the front gate.  The back of the property is apparently still being used for green refuse disposal. Why not suggest to the city that they move the dogs to the back and buffer with the mountains of accumulated yard waste. The more stuff they dump in there, the quieter it will be. The green waste is not nearly as offensive as what they were dumping several years ago.  Very little odor and I only saw one rat.

• Thanks 3

Gwynne I think you missed something the dogs that are up at the front gate belong to the people who live right inside the gate I have fed and spade / neutered their dogs for them since I moved here The actual shelter cannot be seen from the front gate it is about a football field back from the gate  and well away from the back road. I do not know where the home that someone claims is less than 100 meters from the shelter is but I am sure they would not make that up. The dogs do bark when their pens are being cleaned and they are getting fed usually I hear them around 5 or 6 each day when I am doing my last yard clean up   I do a last walk out after the news at 11 and it is quiet unless someone is partying but then no one is complaining about the music.

• Thanks 1