Chapala.com Webboard

New Dog Shelter

4 hours ago, #HarryB said:

Putting a dog shelter in the middle of a thousand condos just shows that the Ecology Director has no knowledge of the municipality. The improvements being made are being done without the permission of the Secretary General as this is a temporary facility. Local residents are working to find a more appropriate site. There is a facility with 50 dogs just across the street. Thus they react to each other and all the dogs in the area also react to them. 

Luckily we have 2 very smart dogs and they are learning the no bark command. 

Why are the local residents supposed to be looking for a new location?  Is it not the responsibility of the municipality to find a suitable location?  Are the local residents and neighbors supposed to find and buy land for this shelter?  That will never happen.  The municipality needs to be responsible for and correct the mistake they made by placing this shelter in a high density housing area.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, handfaf said:

A needle is fast and effective and inexpensive.   All the spay and nutter is not working. 

By this statement are you advocating euthanasia?
So if all the 'spay and nutter is not working' then why are so many animals sterilized daily. A 3 day clinic can sterilize 170 to over 200 animals (cats & dogs). One of the groups goes to the small communities and gathers up animals to be sterilized. Other groups hold weekend clinics in the surrounding communities. I believe, all the local shelters, sterilize the animals that pass thru their hands.
Think of how bad it would be if there weren't active spay and neuter programs going on.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

Clearly an unfortunate choice of location plus dogs kept in small enclosures tend to bark more. What can we do as a community - other than whine and kill all the already abused dogs? It doesn't need organization, it just needs anyone who has a little extra room in their home and their heart to adopt one of these dogs. If you can't take on a long term responsibility, consider fostering. We are a community, we can help fix this problem on a short term basis until a better location can be found. Or we can complain about it.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, mkshawn said:

There are sterilized/nutered strays about that will take your leg, a hand or your throat should you get between them & their food.

Interesting, in all of my years here I have never, ever had a stray threaten me.  Perhaps you are approaching them in an aggressive manner, it is obvious you do not care for animals to start with.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

For years that land was the city dump (before that it was the cemetery overflow). The smell was very unpleasant when the wind was right.  There were rats the size of housecats roaming around. It's city property and if it's not used for a dog shelter, it will probably revert back to being a dump. Trying to live right next to a large chunk of city land is always going to be problematic.

2 hours ago, gwynne said:

For years that land was the city dump (before that it was the cemetery overflow). The smell was very unpleasant when the wind was right.  There were rats the size of housecats roaming around. It's city property and if it's not used for a dog shelter, it will probably revert back to being a dump. Trying to live right next to a large chunk of city land is always going to be problematic.

Indeed, and that applies to any level of government land.

Is there a timetable for relocating it?   

Fyi, there are a lot of available short (and long) term rentals here right now.  Sunbirds didn't show up, and the high season (if there is one) doesn't start up for awhile.  You may get a decent rate from some renters.  Find an alternate place to live for a couple of months?  Airbnb and VRBO and local rental offices.   

To me it would be worth the expense.  

Bisbee are you saying don't fix the problem, just move out of your home.

that does not solve the problem and makes the victims pay the price

i say, find a way to move the shelter or close it down 

I see no effort being made by the shelter to find homes for these animals 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Kyle said:

Bisbee are you saying don't fix the problem, just move out of your home.

that does not solve the problem and makes the victims pay the price

i say, find a way to move the shelter or close it down 

I see no effort being made by the shelter to find homes for these animals 

No! Not saying that.  I asked what the timetable is.  If it's a few months down the road, I'd opt for a temporary rental for those months, just to keep my sanity.  Lack of sleep is very detrimental to one's health.  If it wasn't for the pandemic, I'd suggest this is a good time to do some traveling.  

I feel terrible for the residents who had this thrust upon them.  The GR story made it sound as if it is going to move to a more appropriate location.  But if it's so disruptive that one cannot sleep, yes I would look for a temporary getaway. 

3 hours ago, Bisbee Gal said:

No! Not saying that.  I asked what the timetable is.  If it's a few months down the road, I'd opt for a temporary rental for those months, just to keep my sanity.  Lack of sleep is very detrimental to one's health.  If it wasn't for the pandemic, I'd suggest this is a good time to do some traveling.  

I feel terrible for the residents who had this thrust upon them.  The GR story made it sound as if it is going to move to a more appropriate location.  But if it's so disruptive that one cannot sleep, yes I would look for a temporary getaway. 

Bisbee with respect I think you are coming from the wrong direction when you suggest the home owner opt for a temporary rental, please do not lose sight of who is to blame. Your/mine/The City;’s actions have consequences

These people did not move in after the dog pound was there, the city decided in their wisdom to open this facility. If you think the city will take any action if the local residence "move" you must been crazy. The pressure must be kept up... its a question who will blink first. There must be acres of land available in the boonies east of Chapala going towards the Golf Club.

I don't know if it my imagination but there seems to be more folks this year having more animals in their private homes with total disregard for the noise the dogs make when they leave the house etc. Everyone with dogs should appreciate that their choices have consequences. Please respect that everyone does not like animals. I fail to understand why people have to inflict their "pets" on other people 

Last week coming along the highway in Ribera’s , a stray tried to cross the road, first it was hit by a car going West and then by a car going East. This incident really makes me feel sick and angry at the irresponsible owner

Yes as mentioned, some years back dear Geoff Kay had good intentions and permission to have a "Dog pound" on Calle Margarita in Ribera’s. I think he was limited to have 12 dogs, which he ignored, and like the place under discussion nobody was no one there at night and the dogs barked and barked. Then when that subject was posted on this board you had folks who lived in Ajijic make ridicules comments...but they were not there at night. Please stay focus were the blame and responsibility lay

• Like 3

3 hours ago, lakeside7 said:

These people did not move in after the dog pound was there, the city decided in their wisdom to open this facility.

The dog pound wasn't there, but the city dump was.  I remember lots of complaints about the rats. 

The city can't really be expected to turn its property (in the boonies) into a park every time urban sprawl catches up with it.  I can think of a lot of public uses for that property that would make a dog shelter seem benign.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, lakeside7 said:

Bisbee with respect I think you are coming from the wrong direction when you suggest the home owner opt for a temporary rental, please do not lose sight of who is to blame. Your/mine/The City;’s actions have consequences

These people did not move in after the dog pound was there, the city decided in their wisdom to open this facility. If you think the city will take any action if the local residence "move" you must been crazy. The pressure must be kept up... its a question who will blink first. There must be acres of land available in the boonies east of Chapala going towards the Golf Club.

My comment was about the OP's inability to sleep.  Continued lack of sleep is a serious problem that affects one's physical and mental health.  

I hope the neighbors keep up the fight against this shelter and succeed.  But if the OP cannot sleep, I still suggest he find a temporary place where he can sleep.  Not move out permanently, but just for the evening hours to sleep (saw an ad for a very nice B&B on a quiet street for a monthly rate of $550 USD).   

Though I leave it to those affected by the noise--some may indeed opt to move permanently (especially renters) and I would not fault them for that decision.  Sleep deprivation is a serious health hazard.  

• Like 1

Hey be, the  city sprawl" was there before the dog shelter.  That spot should never have been considered for a shelter.  Caging animals up and not walking them nor trying to find them a home is not helping the animals, it just makes some do good doers feel good about themselves 

21 minutes ago, Kyle said:

Hey be, the  city sprawl" was there before the dog shelter.  That spot should never have been considered for a shelter.  Caging animals up and not walking them nor trying to find them a home is not helping the animals, it just makes some do good doers feel good about themselves 

Why are you sayng that they are not trying to find them homes??? A few of the dogs have been flown North thanks to Bonevoyage Other Shelters have helped with some They post the dogs available for adoption and some they have in foster homes getting fully vetted to make them adoptable.They are the new kids on the street and do not have the years of established volunteers willing to walk them etc give them a chance or better yet help them. These dogs have all been rescued from horrific conditions right here in the Chapala tax area.  A decent community would be reaching a hand out too help.

• Thanks 3