Chapala.com Webboard

Scary dog alert, HUGE

ea93105

In Riberas on Calle San Luis about a block west of the church ( sorry, not sure of the cross street name) lives  what I guess to be a 125 lb black mastiff looking dog who is always behind closed gates....except for this afternoon and he came out into the street after me ( I was on my bicycle ) . He came up to my feet with bad intent, I lifted my feet and yelled at him but he did not stop. My 75 lb dog was with me and held him at bay which shows the dog is not an "attack" dog per se but he scared the hell out of me and I don´t scare easily when it comes to dogs. After leaving about a block away I decided to turn around to attempt to tell the owners of the dog that he is extremely scary. By now I noticed that although he is huge and menacing looking, he is also older and slower than my dog, who is able to hold his own and help to protect me. Managed to reach the front of the house and yelled out to the owners but they never appeared, windows were covered with sheets or something. This time the dog was less aggressive but way too scary to be out in the street unsupervised.

I know that this doesn't lessen your frightening experience, but Mastiff breeds typically follow a property perimeter. If anybody enters they tend to try to herd the person and growl if they try to move away. That is their natural disposition anyways. The worst gaurd dogs are the untrained ones, I hate to say it but a lot of Pit Bulls in this category. Their natural instinct is to attack the throat, and hold on. Properly trained dogs, including Pit Bulls, are trained to attack the arms. Especially if their quarry is holding a gun or knife.

Live coursing dogs, which are mostly banned, work as a pack team. Hounds such as the Russian Wolfhound, Borzoi, often crossed with Greyhound,  hunt in a team, two or three. One takes the neck of coyotes or young wolves, the others hold the chest.

I think a lot of dogs have issues with bicycles for some reason, but having a huge  mastiff running after anyone  in the street    going for the feet is simply unacceptable. I hope the gate was left open by mistake and not intentionally. 

Drove by today to get a photo of the dog but he wasn´t there.

It is the prey instinct, dogs run after anything that seems to be running or running away when they have a high prey instinct.. If you stop they will stop.. but yes it is dangerous to have a large dog lose on the street if he has a high prey instinct. Gardners can be careless about gates and it could have been an accident..Better a dog than a jaguar like they had once in La Floresta