Chapala.com Webboard

Mail from US

kosika

I have chosen Sol Y Luna because of the closeness to my house and because of the price.
This is the info I was given today, Aug 8th, 2020, when I registered for a box.
Prices:
1 year $190 US
6 mo   $ 140 US
1 mo   $   30 US
Their new hours during Covid are M-F 10-4 and Sat 10-2
You can have packages sent as well as regular mail.
Due to the border being closed, their mail can only be sent out once a week and bigger boxes will take longer.
Anything you might need immediately (lost/stolen credit card etc) you should have sent FedEx or UPS.
Hope this helps and thanks to everyone for your comments!

3 hours ago, CalGal said:

Forgive my ignorance, but because of unforeseen circumstances, I am about to lose my US address that I use for my US bank accounts.  I only get a few pieces of mail a YEAR and am looking for a way to obtain a US address for receiving new credit cards, checks, etc. without having to pay for a box at iShop (my banks will not mail to Mexico).  Someone told me there is a way to get mail at iShop without having to pay for a box.  Thanks for your advice. 

Travelingmailbox is a US address and not a post office box.  At least check it out on the web.

• Thanks 1

On 8/9/2020 at 8:13 PM, Zeb said:

I have found what I consider a better option.  I use www.travelingmailbox.com.  No need to go anywhere.  I am notified when mail has arrived. I then select what I want done with it: view, print, delete, shred, forward, etc. and it is done.  What I need a paper copy of, I print on my home printer. If I receive a check, they handle the deposit for a small fee.   It is less costly and incredibly efficient.

I would really consider that instead of the local shops.

Zeb, do they have any issues getting the mail/packages across the border from US?  Who do they use as a carrier in Mexico?  Hopefully, they  don't use the Mx Mail at any point!  I am thinking of using them, despite the cost of the "box", to get my US credit cards, new checks, etc.  I only get about 5 pieces of mail a YEAR.  Thanks!

On 8/12/2020 at 10:24 AM, CalGal said:

Zeb, do they have any issues getting the mail/packages across the border from US?  Who do they use as a carrier in Mexico?  Hopefully, they  don't use the Mx Mail at any point!  I am thinking of using them, despite the cost of the "box", to get my US credit cards, new checks, etc.  I only get about 5 pieces of mail a YEAR.  Thanks!

I don't get much either. Sometimes an occasional check which I have them deposit.  Do check their web site.  They also have excellent customer service, so you can click on the box to message them and they will respond quickly.  It is a back and forth instant message.  I do not send have any packages sent there as it makes no sense.  If I have a package, I have it sent directly to the General Mailbox at Ishop as a private box is not required for that.  For paper mail, you request a scan and print on your own home computer.  I ask credit card companies to send those UPS directly to my home in Mexico.  So far, this has worked well.

• Thanks 1

On 8/9/2020 at 6:04 PM, MtnMama said:

How happy are folks with iShop? Sol y Luna takes 4-8 weeks to get my packages from Laredo to Ajijic - is iShop any better? We get very little mail and lately I have just been having packages sent to my home because it is so much more reliable.

I am happy with iShop. I've used them for several years.

• Like 1

Over the 23 years I have been lakeside, I have used all three. I had had no trouble with any of them. Living in Ajijic and having breakfast at Scallions 5 or 6 days per week, I am now using Sol y Luna which is in the same building and only a few doors down from where I have breakfast.

On 8/11/2020 at 10:46 AM, CalGal said:

Forgive my ignorance, but because of unforeseen circumstances, I am about to lose my US address that I use for my US bank accounts.  I only get a few pieces of mail a YEAR and am looking for a way to obtain a US address for receiving new credit cards, checks, etc. without having to pay for a box at iShop (my banks will not mail to Mexico).  Someone told me there is a way to get mail at iShop without having to pay for a box.  Thanks for your advice. 

Thank you all for your suggestions.  I walked to iShop and found out that they have a General Mailbox to which you can have mail/packages sent and pay a nominal fee when you pick it up.  All you have to do is give them your name and phone number, and they give you the address in Loredo.  Problem solved!!!!!!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 8/9/2020 at 8:13 PM, Zeb said:

I have found what I consider a better option.  I use www.travelingmailbox.com.  No need to go anywhere.  I am notified when mail has arrived. I then select what I want done with it: view, print, delete, shred, forward, etc. and it is done.

Have you had any medicine delivered with this service? I contacted them and they said they could but I'm skeptical. 

No.  They will accept packages, but remember they are in the US, so they will forward a package to you.  I have had packages delivered that they send via Fedex, and that still has to go through customs, so I don't recommend you get medication this way.  If you can find someone to bring it to you, it is really better.

On 8/13/2020 at 6:55 PM, Zeb said:

Do check their web site.  They also have excellent customer service, so you can click on the box to message them and they will respond quickly.  It is a back and forth instant message.  I do not send have any packages sent there as it makes no sense.  If I have a package, I have it sent directly to the General Mailbox at Ishop as a private box is not required for that.  For paper mail, you request a scan and print on your own home computer.  I ask credit card companies to send those UPS directly to my home in Mexico.  So far, this has worked well.

Z - www.travelingmailbox.com looks excellent - shipping packages seems to involve a monthly fee and other related reasonable charges which maybe could be switched on/off as needed - thanks for the recommendation.

18 minutes ago, utilitus said:

Z - www.travelingmailbox.com looks excellent - shipping packages seems to involve a monthly fee and other related reasonable charges which maybe could be switched on/off as needed - thanks for the recommendation.

I have had the service for about two years and I find very few places really have good service, however, they have never disappointed me.  I really like the system in the fact that the drop down menu offers all the options of what you could possibly want done with each item.