Chapala.com Webboard

Ajijic Post Office

Every morning my early walk takes me by the Ajijic Post Office.  About once a week I go in and check my box.  This morning as I walked up I saw the post office had been gutted.  My old friend the "Post Master" was standing there.  I asked him "que pasa?  He told me that the Ajijic was being closed and moved to Chapala.  I asked him if I still would have the same post office box.  His reply was essentially that he would be taking care of my mail.  I did not think to pursue that line of discussion so, I am not sure if our mail will now be delivered to us, or if we will have a box in Chapala.

In my 17+ years in Ajijic I have known three post office locations in Ajijic.  When I first moved here there was no delivery to my area of Ajijic.  Over the years, with the computer there has been less and less mail, but I still have a few important pieces that come to my box.  Social Security mail is one of them.

I used to have a PO box but I gave it up years ago. The only mail I received was special occasion cards from my mother. Every occasion even Halloween which arrived around Christmas.

IMHO there really is no need for a PO box any more with everything you need being available online. Even the local bank paper mailings from BBVA, Multiva, Telmex, etc. are no longer important. It's a lot more efficient and space saving to download statements and bills than accumulate the paper.

The SSA comment referred only to direct mailings and year end statements.

For those still hanging on to PO boxes or delivery services like Handy Mail, what sort of mail are you receiving?

I just went by the Chapala office to ask what will happen with my mail. The Ajijic postmaster was there and told me that my box will be transferred to Chapala on Tuesday and that I will keep the same mailing address that I had in Ajijic as well as the same box number. I am very happy with this change as the only reason for me to go to Ajijic was to check my P.O box number (no more dealing with the crazy traffic situation).☺️

• Thanks 1

John,

I went with iShop 4 years ago because of some issues with the IRS. They only communicate vis USPS. I couldn't risk IRS mailing sitting in my private mailbox in Yakima. 

I sent an email to the social security office at the USA Consulate in Guadalajara asking to have my address changed from my Post Office Box to my house address. I received this reply.  Let's see what happens.

THIS IS AN AUTOMATIC RESPONSE. PLEASE DO NOT REPLY TO THIS EMAIL.

IMPORTANT INFORMATION:  Thank you for contacting the Federal Benefits Unit at the U.S. Consulate General in Guadalajara.  Due to public health measures to prevent the spread of COVID-19 in Mexico, operations in the Federal Benefits Unit may be limited, however, we will typically respond to your inquiries within 5 business days. 

We respectfully request that you avoid sending multiple emails, as this may cause further delays

I wanted to update my information yesterday afternoon but Telmex decided I did not need WiFi for my computer.  Anyway, at 2:30 pm yesterday I received a call from a very nice lady at the Social Security office at the Consulate.  She wanted to confirm it was me and I did want to change my address from my PO Box to my home address.  I when I replied to her satisfaction my address was immediately changed.  Fast, efficient and friendly.

• Thanks 1

I still have my box in Ajijic post office. I kept it because it's been reliable over the years. And because when I moved from Villa Nova to Mirasol, I found that mail that is addressed to my Mirasol address went to the Chapapa p.o. and delivery to my house was highly unreliable.

I am expecting a package adressed to my POBox in Ajijic.  And that doesn't exist anymore??? Now what. I hate going to the Chapala p.o.

Lexy

I've had a PO Box in Ajijic for 20 years and still use it for certain things. Sometimes you require original documents (if and when they get through to you) and delivery is still erratic, though the guy on the motorcycle's been great about bringing my packages (if & when they get this far).

Occurs to me though that maybe I have to change my mailing address and can't even begin to remember the number of people/places I would have to contact. Arrrrrgh! Or would mail directed to my Box number in the Ajijic office automatically find its way to Chapala now?

I had no idea this was happening and I'm really glad someone thought to post here. I've found this board to be an invaluable resource for general info and for sourcing items here, so thank you all!  

• Like 1

• 3 months later...