Chapala.com Webboard

New scam

luvsdawgs

Apparently, we need to prepare for these phone calls ...just in case 🙄
‘Good morning, According to our system, you are likely to have been in close proximity to someone who has tested positive for COVID-19. This means that you now need to self-isolate for 7 days and take a COVID-19 test.'
'OK. Can you tell me who that person was?'
'I'm not able to tell you that. That is confidential information.'
'Right. Um... so ....'
'But you do need to be tested within the next 72 hours. So can I just get the best mailing address so that we can send a kit to you?'
'Ok (gives address)'
'Thank you - and I just need to take a payment card so that we can finalize this and send the kit to you.'
'Sorry - a payment card? I thought this was all free?'
'No - I'm afraid not. There is a one-off fee of $50 for the kit and test results. Could you read off the long card number for me, please, when you're ready.'
'No - that's not right.
'I'm afraid it is. Can you give me the card number please - this is very important, and there are penalties for not complying.'
Puts the phone down.
This is how scammers work. And vulnerable people will fall for it.”
Don't fall for it...! COPY and PASTE
watch out ...🤬
Tell our elderly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

On 8/5/2020 at 7:08 PM, luvsdawgs said:

Apparently, we need to prepare for these phone calls ...just in case 🙄
‘Good morning, According to our system, you are likely to have been in close proximity to someone who has tested positive for COVID-19. This means that you now need to self-isolate for 7 days and take a COVID-19 test.'
'OK. Can you tell me who that person was?'
'I'm not able to tell you that. That is confidential information.'
'Right. Um... so ....'
'But you do need to be tested within the next 72 hours. So can I just get the best mailing address so that we can send a kit to you?'
'Ok (gives address)'
'Thank you - and I just need to take a payment card so that we can finalize this and send the kit to you.'
'Sorry - a payment card? I thought this was all free?'
'No - I'm afraid not. There is a one-off fee of $50 for the kit and test results. Could you read off the long card number for me, please, when you're ready.'
'No - that's not right.
'I'm afraid it is. Can you give me the card number please - this is very important, and there are penalties for not complying.'
Puts the phone down.
This is how scammers work. And vulnerable people will fall for it.”
Don't fall for it...! COPY and PASTE
watch out ...🤬
Tell our elderly.

Sorry, but I just can't imagine anyone who was able to make the move to Mexico actually being gullible enough to fall for something like this. One would think people here have enough common sense to recognize this.

1 hour ago, Mostlylost said:

Are any of these calls being received in Mexico?   

Many of us expats here have Vonage and Magic Jack.  So, probably yes.  We get this Indian guy that calls almost every morning to tell us our computer is sending out error signals, he just needs our credit card number to properly diagnose the problem.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, happyjillin said:

Eh is not a question.

Definition of eh

used to ask for confirmation or repetition or to express inquiry used especially in Canadian English in anticipation of the listener's or reader's agreement

Examples of eh in a Sentence

Recent Examples on the WebNothing like getting scared by the mascot of your former team, eh? Dallas News
Here's hoping Avengers proves more like Destiny than Anthem, eh? Hayden Dingman Games Reporter, PCWorld

• Sad 1

17 hours ago, dichosalocura said:

Many of us expats here have Vonage and Magic Jack.  So, probably yes.  We get this Indian guy that calls almost every morning to tell us our computer is sending out error signals, he just needs our credit card number to properly diagnose the problem.

I have had Vonage for 17 years and never get calls like that.

2 hours ago, Mostlylost said:

I'm pretty sure anyone receiving the scam call mentioned by the OP on a VOIP Canadian or US number would know that no one calling could possibly know if they had been "in close contact" with anyone in Mexico. Much less send a test kit from Canada or the US to Mexico.

You say that as an active, connected member of the community both in person and on line. These predators are not targeting people like you. They are seeking out the isolated, not quite with it, older people, maybe early stage dementia, uninformed, isolated, and frightened. They prey on the most vulnerable which is what makes them so despicable.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Xena said:

You say that as an active, connected member of the community both in person and on line. These predators are not targeting people like you. They are seeking out the isolated, not quite with it, older people, maybe early stage dementia, uninformed, isolated, and frightened. They prey on the most vulnerable which is what makes them so despicable.

How would they know who is isolated or vulnerable?  I think it's random.