Chapala.com Webboard

Looking for a Gardener...again.

Carrol

Tried a local service, but they have such high turnover.  I suspect the replacements are day workers who don't really know the difference between a weed and a worm.

I have great equipment and pay more than average....and would like to have results that produce more than something that resembles crabgrass in the lawn of life.

3 hours ago, Carrol said:

Tried a local service, but they have such high turnover.  I suspect the replacements are day workers who don't really know the difference between a weed and a worm.

I have great equipment and pay more than average....and would like to have results that produce more than something that resembles crabgrass in the lawn of life.

I would not trust a gardener that does not have their own equipment. Would you trust a plumber without the appropriate tools?

I would never compare a gardener to a plumber anyways it is a lot easier to carry a monkey wrench around than a lawn mower and a weed eater.  Many gardeners don't make the money to afford all those expensive tools and a truck to carry them around.  We have always provided the tools and have been fortunate to have them take good care if them. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gringohombre said:

My rational, as a businessman, is that professional gardeners have their own machines and tools...Works for me!!!

You are always telling us you are a business man and therefore we should believe you when you say professional gardeners have their own tools. I guess I must be doing something wrong because I treat my full time gardener as a full time employee and I provide all of the equipment. He walks up to my house every day and then walks home and no he does not carry his equipment on his  back to and from work. Oh, he does bring his lunch. He has been working me for  about 18 years now. And he gets all of the benefits given an employee, you know vacations, health insurance , sick leave, Etc. Etc.

Does it take 45 hours per week to do all of the gardening, normally not. But my property manager said that the total cost of a full time employee is much better than what is charged for a part timer where he would work about 35 hours per week. At least that is what my property manager said. I have been told that a professional gardener would be charging about $85 pesos per hour while my full time gardener makes maybe $58 pesos per hour. Oh, oh, he is not getting underpaid. He gets more than three weeks vacation each year, his health insurance is more than $20,000 and on and on

• Like 3

2 hours ago, johanson said:

You are always telling us you are a business man and therefore we should believe you when you say professional gardeners have their own tools. I guess I must be doing something wrong because I treat my full time gardener as a full time employee and I provide all of the equipment. He walks up to my house every day and then walks home and no he does not carry his equipment on his  back to and from work. Oh, he does bring his lunch. He has been working me for  about 18 years now. And he gets all of the benefits given an employee, you know vacations, health insurance , sick leave, Etc. Etc.

Does it take 45 hours per week to do all of the gardening, normally not. But my property manager said that the total cost of a full time employee is much better than what is charged for a part timer where he would work about 35 hours per week. At least that is what my property manager said. I have been told that a professional gardener would be charging about $85 pesos per hour while my full time gardener makes maybe $58 pesos per hour. Oh, oh, he is not getting underpaid. He gets more than three weeks vacation each year, his health insurance is more than $20,000 and on and on

Well you may not be the "businessman" of the par excellence of other posters on this forum but you are certainly a "patron excelente".

I know if I were a gardener which one I would prefer working for.  ! Saludos !