Chapala.com Webboard

Toll tags again

Our visitors from south of Oaxaca have a different kind of Toll Tag than Tag Pase.  Theirs is called TeleVia and appears to cover the same roads as Tag Pase.  Tag Pase will not accept recharges from our U.S. credit cards though it doesn't give that message when rejecting.  So we are thinking about trying the new one.  IAVE apparently became Tag Pase quite some time ago.

1.  Anyone know of or are using TeleVia?

2.  Does it have an I phone app?

3.  Will it accept U.S. credit card recharging?

What is your recent experience in using either one when traveling north?  Are they still problematic?

Thank you!

I bought my pass in Vera Cruz State and it does not work everywhere.. it does not work on libramientos like the one in Puebla or the one going around Guadalajara, I had to pay several tolls going to PV a month ago or so.

do not know about US cards

I do not know what mine is, It is in the car and the car is not around.. sorry.

44 minutes ago, Mainecoons said:

Our visitors from south of Oaxaca have a different kind of Toll Tag than Tag Pase.  Theirs is called TeleVia and appears to cover the same roads as Tag Pase.  Tag Pase will not accept recharges from our U.S. credit cards though it doesn't give that message when rejecting.  So we are thinking about trying the new one.  IAVE apparently became Tag Pase quite some time ago.

1.  Anyone know of or are using TeleVia?

2.  Does it have an I phone app?

3.  Will it accept U.S. credit card recharging?

What is your recent experience in using either one when traveling north?  Are they still problematic?

Thank you!

Traveling north to Laredo pr Eagle Pass the PASE works just fine once you understand that the TXpass over powers your PASE. I figured that out and covered the chip with a foil square on the outside of the window and leave it on to the border and replace it as I head home. Now I have a TXpass mounted on plastic sheet that I move from the console to the windshield when I cross the border. You are correct, it requires a Mexican credit card to recharge online or pay cash at the 7-11 or other stops.

PASE works in all of Mexico. A couple of years ago this system was created so people didn't need 3 or 4 different toll tags.

There are many other local that only work in their own region.  Based on the TELEVIA  website it only works in a few areas.To the border you really need PASE. 

Rather than risk money on this older "Pase" tag I have I want to pick up a new one.  A friend got this for me and the package had been opened.  Their website shows a different version now and cautions against buying if the package is not sealed.

Last time, though, I went to both Oxxo and 7-11 locally and neither had tags although the Pase site indicates these are sources.  Has anyone found a local store that does have them?

Thanks.  It was very helpful to find out that only Mexican CCs are taken because the web site doesn't tell you this and they don't give an error message showing that either.

We are going north in a few weeks and I'd prefer not to be interacting with toll collectors if possible, hence wanting to get this working.

The last one I bought was at an Office Depot. The Pase worked fine going and coming back from Laredo recently. I refilled it at Oxxo, actually 2 Oxxo's since they have a $2000 limit and I needed a bit more than that to do the round trip.

Apparently all OXXOs now carry them; max refill is $2000; max balance is $3000 which won't get a round-trip without refilling somewhere. And your balance does expire with six months no usage--they got a good chunk from me when I postponed a trip.

Just one of the reasons a Mexican credit card can come in handy dealing with companies that don't accept foreign cards. 

Even with a Mexican CCD, PASE makes you jump through hoops to tie the card to a tag however once connected, you never have to worry about having a sufficient balance or losing it at expiration.

• Like 2

You can order directly:

https://apps.pase.com.mx/tienda/

I highly recommend the model  Portátil  for$100. It has a holder to install on the windshield and you can remove it in a second to use in another vehicle. It is also has a better signal reception than the RFID sticker named Calcomanía and is now the same price. 

After you have it you open an account at https://apps.pase.com.mx/up/   and register the device. Then you can pre-load up to a total of $3000 in advance, however the maximum per deposit is $2000.  You can print out a payment slip for BBVA or pay online. There is an app that will allow you to deposit from the app as well. Also the app will alert you to each charge and show  your charges.  

As posted earlier you can also setup automatic withdrawals from a Mexican card.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Mostlylost said:

You can order directly:

https://apps.pase.com.mx/tienda/

I highly recommend the model  Portátil  for$100. It has a holder to install on the windshield and you can remove it in a second to use in another vehicle. It is also has a better signal reception than the RFID sticker named Calcomanía and is now the same price. 

After you have it you open an account at https://apps.pase.com.mx/up/   and register the device. Then you can pre-load up to a total of $3000 in advance, however the maximum per deposit is $2000.  You can print out a payment slip for BBVA or pay online. There is an app that will allow you to deposit from the app as well. Also the app will alert you to each charge and show  your charges.  

As posted earlier you can also setup automatic withdrawals from a Mexican card.

I know this but it requires either AMEX or a Mexican CC, we have neither.  However I wonder if it would work with a Mexican debit card from Actinver.  I'm going to try that.

Good information about the signal reception, I'll find a Portatil.

Looks like it will only let you buy a new Pase online using AMEX.  Don't have one and don't want one.

Just now, Mainecoons said:

I do not have a Mexican card.  I have a Mexican debit card only.

So if I put money on it at OXXO how long does it take before I can use it?

A Mexican debit card should work for depositing money to the account, but not for linking the card for automatic payments.   Don't know about Oxxo, at BBVA it is a few seconds. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
55 minutes ago, bmh said:

ok I have a prepaid account with pase, how do I tie it to a Mexican Credit card?

If I was going to guess I'd start with going to https://apps.pase.com.mx/up/ and if you haven't registered. If you have registered in the past, sign on with your email and password. If you're doing this the first time you have to register and then add a tag using the IMDM number starting with TUS TAGS, then Agregar. Once the tag is added, select it and click the 3 vertical dots to the right of the Facturar button and click change credit card. Now if this tag is a prepago (as opposed to pospago tied to a CCD) you might see another option. In the past when it was IAVE you had to print out a form, fill in your credit card information, scan it and email it back to them. Perhaps they made it easier but probably not.

OK, try this. I sent them an email asking the procedure and they directed me to www.pase.com.mx/tramites/. From there I selected change form of payment.

I think that once you fill out all the information on the screen, the system generates a pre-filled document with instruction on how to complete it manually, scan it and email it back to cavi@pase.com.mx. The instructions specifically state non-Mexican credit cards will be rejected. Maybe someone with a tag and an acceptable credit card can try it and report back.

There are pictures and while the text is in Spanish, a quick copy and paste to Google Translate works if you don't understand the instructions.

https://www.pase.com.mx/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/CFP_PASE.pdf