Chapala.com Webboard

What to Pay Gardener

Zeb

2 hours ago, bmh said:

you live in Chapala Haciendas?

Yes. I have asked three people about their gardeners.  I used one who worked for a neighbor.  He usually failed to show up.  I asked two other people, one of which said she was aware that she was really overpaying just because she liked them and the third was a similar story.  Based on the responses, it appears the cost of around 70 pesos per hour is more reasonable.  I also agree that it is best to pay by the job as you cannot always trust the amount of time they actually work.

• Like 1

Yes it is if you have an idea of how much time it takes to do things, also I need them longer during the dry season because they have to make sure everything is water before he or they leave.. so  it is also why I rather I have one guy who stays twice as long as 2 guys because it gives him time to make sure everything is watered..

• 1 month later...
On 8/2/2020 at 4:46 PM, Mostlylost said:

My gardener arrives with 2 helpers to do lawn & garden 1 day a week. He has the mower & edger and gas.  A second day he arrives with 1 helper and cleans the pool while the helper works in the garden.  $750 a month.  I always pay by the job, not the hour.  

Could you please provide his name and contact information?  Thanks!

On 8/1/2020 at 7:46 PM, Kiko said:

One tip (unsolicited advice) avoid Mondays as a work day for a gardener.  Todos los lunes ni las gallinas ponen.   

If you don't get it:

a)  Forget google Translator,  so....

b)  Ask your Mexican neighbor.

Also, if a holiday falls on a Monday, which many have been moved for a 3 day weekend, your gardener or housekeeper gets triple time for working the holiday.

On 8/2/2020 at 10:01 PM, bmh said:

Yes it is if you have an idea of how much time it takes to do things, also I need them longer during the dry season because they have to make sure everything is water before he or they leave.. so  it is also why I rather I have one guy who stays twice as long as 2 guys because it gives him time to make sure everything is watered..

I finally had to put a timer on my hose bib because my old gardener wasn't leaving the sprinkler in one spot long enough.  I even showed him how to figure 1" of water on the ground, with can food cans fanning out from the sprinkler and timing it.  I figured 45 - 60 minutes for a large area to get enough water.  He still wanted to move the sprinkler after 15 minutes.  Hence the timer.

• 10 months later...
On 8/1/2020 at 10:43 AM, happyjillin said:

There was a Uni student posting or being recommended on here a while ago who might be just what you need. From what I recall his hourly rate was quite reasonable.

do not know how to use Facebook.  Please can you send me phone number of Gardner's in area.  Thanks

On 8/2/2020 at 7:56 AM, Zeb said:

I am in Chapala Haciendas. Have tools and there isn't a ton of work.  It's mostly grass, not huge.  There are Bouganvillas in one area that occasionally need trimming and one small flower bed, a few potted plants on patio.

I think usually less than two hours.

Rate depends partly on who supplies the lawn mower grass trimmer, etc. and who maintains them etc. and how good they are. If you supply and service both I would say 70 pesos/hour. If gardener supplies and maitains equipment 150 /hour. You get better service paying by the hour than by the job.

43 minutes ago, AndyPanda said:

I do not understand your comment.

I am sure that you know EXACTLY what I mean!!! Someone here said that we should pay gardeners (and I assume others) 20% less than the going rate in the US. You replied "That might be reasonable if the country's overall wage was 20% less than up north, but it sure is not." and I replied "Gringo guilt". What is it that you do not understand about that???

Overpaying people is a stupid idea and you end up with problems in the long run. Pay people the going rate and if you want to help them with their kids schooling or other needs to it but do not include it in the regular wages. Lakeside I have zero problems paying people the going rate and will never overpay and never will feel guilty about that. You are the one with the gringo complex by overpaying.

• Like 4

Agreed. Without going into detail on what should already be obvious, one notable side-affect is that villagers who don't have overpaid jobs struggle more and more with the basic costs of living. Lakeside has notoriously high costs for everything from basic rent to chicken on the grille, compared to surrounding areas.

• Like 1

On 7/28/2021 at 9:27 AM, AndyPanda said:

Agreed. Without going into detail on what should already be obvious, one notable side-affect is that villagers who don't have overpaid jobs struggle more and more with the basic costs of living. Lakeside has notoriously high costs for everything from basic rent to chicken on the grille, compared to surrounding areas.

GDL sure isn't cheap either, particularly restaurants.  

11 minutes ago, Mainecoons said:

GDL sure isn't cheap either, particularly restaurants.  

No, but it is a big city with big city prices and a burgeoning upper class. It had wealthy businessmen and moguls a hundred years ago, when lakeside was just a country fishing village. I can't imagine how the poor in the neglected barrios even survive.

• Like 1